Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314 LastLast
    Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    The over-representation of Telepathy is a problem, solved by having Psychic mutant talents be naturally viral. When a mutant with a Psychic primary talent interacts with others with primary Psychic talents, they begin to mimic each others mutations.
    Telepathy is such a cool power but so many people have it.
    It doesn't feel special.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    That must be a relatively recent retcon, or the result of one of the many universal soft reboots they've had since she was created, because for the longest time she was explicitly human. And I don't much care for DBZ, either (and don't get me started on the Monk class in RPGs...).
    It was hinted at in her original series. A scientist was asked to analyze her DNA and asked if he was being pranked.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenixzero23 View Post
    Telepathy is mutant culture.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    That must be a relatively recent retcon, or the result of one of the many universal soft reboots they've had since she was created, because for the longest time she was explicitly human. And I don't much care for DBZ, either (and don't get me started on the Monk class in RPGs...).
    You must abhor martial arts movies.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post

The over-representation of Reality-Warping is a problem, solved by having the Earth X Celestial genetic endgame be a real thing. Legion, Proteus, Franklin Richards, etc aren't random occurrences, but activations of ultimate potential.
    There's only 3 reality manipulators (Franklin Richards, Proteus and Jamie Braddock) and they barely show up and/or get jobbed.
    Legion's "power manifestation" is ridiculous tho.
    "Cable was right!"

I love telepathy and telekinesis as powers but it's true that Marvel has let them run amok and are now super OP. Telepaths should largely be specialized in the use of their abilities, imo. The only mutation I "hate" is Shark Girl but that's because Aaron's students seemed like jokes to me. I also never understood was Risque's powers were supposed to be doing. Reality warping is getting a bad rap in this thread but it's always been a cool powerset to me.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenixzero23 View Post
    It doesn't feel special.
    And there are even more people who don't have it…
    But, I agree, in a population where almost everyone has a different power, the telepaths are a distinct group.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

To be fair about the Telepathy hate mutants were created to be spies to take over different planets and there are not many powers that are better at doing that then telepathy

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Outburstz View Post
    To be fair about the Telepathy hate mutants were created to be spies to take over different planets and there are not many powers that are better at doing that then telepathy
    Telepathy is a weird one because non-mutants can just sort of 'learn' it. It's a standard feature of learning magic, as sorcerers and magicians learn telepathy as part of the 'trained powers' they have. Various human 'sensitives' work for SHIELD and even the Hand/Mandarin (during Psylocke's mind-swap with Kwannon). Alien training granted Bob the Uranian, Mantis and Moondragon telepathic gifts, despite them not being mutants. And Jean Grey herself wasn't a telepath, originally, but learned it from Xavier, her mutant power being telekinesis.

And, it seems, every mutant telepath can learn any trick any other mutant telepath knows, as easily as they can share / teach various skills and languages, probably because of Xavier handing out these tricks like candy to Jean, Betsy, etc.

Even when telepaths are shown with limits, like Emma, back in the day, needing a machine to swap her mind with Storm's, they tend to outgrow them, as she later swaps into Iceman's body without a machine, just using her own power, indicating that she's 'learned that skill' over time. (Well, out of story, indicating the writer didn't do the research, but, whatev.)

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post

And, it seems, every mutant telepath can learn any trick any other mutant telepath knows
    It's no different than how any two mutants with the same powers can do the same thing. And considering how many X-men mutants are either teachers or students, learning how to do what others can shouldn't be surprising.

Even when telepaths are shown with limits, like Emma, back in the day, needing a machine to swap her mind with Storm's, they tend to outgrow them, as she later swaps into Iceman's body without a machine, just using her own power, indicating that she's 'learned that skill' over time. (Well, out of story, indicating the writer didn't do the research, but, whatev.)
    While there certainly is a measure of 'slip' involved with psionic abilities and I agree with your general premise, Emma's body switch with Bobby was not intentional on her part, nor solely due to her own powers. There was some kind of Shi'Ar power surge in the mansion while Bobby was attending to her comatose body and that was the trigger that caused the switch, not her own abilities.

Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Telepathy is a weird one because non-mutants can just sort of 'learn' it. It's a standard feature of learning magic, as sorcerers and magicians learn telepathy as part of the 'trained powers' they have. Various human 'sensitives' work for SHIELD and even the Hand/Mandarin (during Psylocke's mind-swap with Kwannon). Alien training granted Bob the Uranian, Mantis and Moondragon telepathic gifts, despite them not being mutants. And Jean Grey herself wasn't a telepath, originally, but learned it from Xavier, her mutant power being telekinesis.

And, it seems, every mutant telepath can learn any trick any other mutant telepath knows, as easily as they can share / teach various skills and languages, probably because of Xavier handing out these tricks like candy to Jean, Betsy, etc.

The fact that some humans can learn telepathy is kind of cool for me. I guess baseline humans in the MU have some latent psionic talents by themselves and maybe that's why telepathy is such a common mutation among humans compared to say eye-beams.

I'd like to see a human telepaths vs mutant telepaths battle in a future confrontation. Emma was much more powerful than the Purple Children in the latest Jessica Jones, and Jean was able to create blocks to keep Purple Man out if I'm not wrong (I know he's not a telepath per se, but he's been largely depicted as a telepathic being in the latest iterations with full-on mind possession and illusions and such).

The fact that Jean and Quentin are Omegas should suggest that human telepaths like Moondragon and Mantis cannot surpass them.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    While there certainly is a measure of 'slip' involved with psionic abilities and I agree with your general premise, Emma's body switch with Bobby was not intentional on her part, nor solely due to her own powers. There was some kind of Shi'Ar power surge in the mansion while Bobby was attending to her comatose body and that was the trigger that caused the switch, not her own abilities.

Yeah.. I also think with Jean having hopped into Emmas body it was already someting going on to allow her to move a little easier. One thing I always wondered was if Emma went into Bobby, did Bobby go into Emma's body.. Now that would have been interesting to see how he dealt with being in her body and having telepathy with his silly ass mind set.

Mighty Member

I think telepathy, telekinesis and other mind based abilities such as energy and elemental manipulation always are a little ambiguous and abstract because to give that human minds are adaptable ( like the brain can re route itself if injured) and it shows that we have agency, the ability to do overcome barriers.

However, I do think there should be distinctive with the powers maybe like the Talents Series by author Anne McCaffrey. I liked how she framed mental abilities.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by davetvs View Post
    I love telepathy and telekinesis as powers but it's true that Marvel has let them run amok and are now super OP. Telepaths should largely be specialized in the use of their abilities, imo. The only mutation I "hate" is Shark Girl but that's because Aaron's students seemed like jokes to me. I also never understood was Risque's powers were supposed to be doing. Reality warping is getting a bad rap in this thread but it's always been a cool powerset to me.
    Oh her powers are localized inorganic matter implosion. It was later explained to include a measure of gravity manipulation that allowed her to hurl the imploded objects at people which then lead to her also using her power as typical blaster lol. She also was hinted at as having enhanced physical attributes. So to me she was localized gravity manipulator.