Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    TBH, I'm really not overly fond of healing factors. They're way too prone to creeping out of control (Logan's started as just mildly accelerated and he could still take hours or even days to recover from an injury. Now he can take a nuclear bomb to the face and he'll be all healed up in minutes) or being used to handwave new powers that should have nothing to do with healing at all. And it gets sort of repetitive when the only way you can get any real sense of tension/danger for the character is for "Oh noes! The villain has a never-before-seen technology that's keeping them from healing!"
    I hate the "regenerating equals cannot be hurt" stuff that started in the 80s and got out of Control in the 90s. Wolverine getting hit with enough arrows to make him look like a pincushion or him not having a Problem with Poison are bad Memories from that time. I think it was Rucka, who made the healing more "realistic" so that Logan gets hit and is down for the Count or having him drown as a legitimate danger.

He is already protected from the most obivious route to stop someone with healing powers (beheading) so they should try not to overdo it. And yes I think beheading should be one of the Things the People with healing factors should not get back from.

During Lauras run as Wolverine they did this with great effect. Hand ninja trying to drown Logan showed that this power has Limits and is different than being invulnerable. Writers tend to Forget that
    Last edited by lowfyr; 03-03-2020 at 06:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lowfyr View Post
    I hate the "regenerating equals cannot be hurt" stuff that started in the 80s and got out of Control in the 90s. Wolverine getting hit with enough arrows to make him look like a pincushion or him not having a Problem with Poison are bad Memories from that time. I think it was Rucka, who made the healing more "realistic" so that Logan gets hit and is down for the Count or having him drown as a legitimate danger.

He is already protected from the most obivious route to stop someone with healing powers (beheading) so they should try not to overdo it. And yes I think beheading should be one of the Things the People with healing factors should not get back from.
    At some point "healing factor" switched from "I heal fast" to "I can pull extra organs and tissue out of thin air."

I think the ramping up of Logan's healing factor might have inspired Lobo writers to go all out with it and let Lobo make clones from a drop of his blood.
    Reimagined public domain superheroes in a 1945 that never was!
    Read the superhero webcomic THE POWER OF STARDUST!

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Scarlet Witch could've been a mutant that taps into magic-based phenomena and Franklin can tap into cosmic-based phenomena (like Mar-Vell and Silver Surfer) but give them time limits to their powers like Max Steel.

I have no problem with Domino's powers. It's just low-range defensive probability manipulation.
    "Cable was right!"

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Cable and Shatterstar are also guilty of this, but they get a partial pass because they were invented by a doof who forgot they were supposed to be *mutants* and their initial superpowers were 'guns' and 'swords' respectively, with a side of 'lots of pouches,' 'swole' and '90s attitude.' If you skip the speech balloons of their Liefield days, it's easy to think that Cable is a teleporter (since he bodyslides way more than he uses his actual mutant powers), and that Shatty has some sort of Toad-like leaping power, since he's always in a flying though the air in an awkward squatting posture, swords akimbo.
    With Cable at least you have the explanation that he's using his normal power set to keep the T/O virus at bay, so you have a natural reason why he doesn't use his TP or TK very often.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post

Deadpool has regenerated his head, So we have the basic answer to your question. And the other half your question also answered by Deadpool again where someone put his body parts together that he had been putting in the trash together and they function as something. So Yes to head regenerating from the body given time and No to head growing a new body but head can be attached to another body.
    Deadpool is different. A big part of why his healing abilities work the way they do is because of Thanos' curse preventing him from dying altogether.

Cut off Logan's head and he STAYS dead so long as you keep the head away from the body so it can't reattach (which is still stupid, but not nearly the same thing as Wade).

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by lowfyr View Post
    During Lauras run as Wolverine they did this with great effect. Hand ninja trying to drown Logan showed that this power has Limits and is different than being invulnerable. Writers tend to Forget that
    That's gonna trigger some folks.

Which BTW...

Less of a powers issue but more of a "Why can't writers actually do RESEARCH on this" thing.

Having studied WMA/HEMA myself, I hate hate hate hate HATE the presentation of Martial Arts and Martial Artists in comics. ESPECIALLY when they're only baseline human or just above baseline human. Nothing annoys me more than a Logan or a Captain America or a Batman or (I'm looking at you ESPECIALLY) Cassie Cain wading through hundreds of mooks without breaking a sweat. If you're physically a baseline or just a hair above you have NO BUSINESS WHATSOEVER being able to take more than three or four opponents on at one time even for the best, (ESPECIALLY if the 3-4 aren't stupid and using Mook Chivalry) five or six would be generous. I MAY allow a few more for Logan with his adamantium. Double digits are right-out.

Maybe some people love the power fantasy, but for me it takes all the tension out of the scene (and shreds the suspension of disbelief) when "Ho hum, the bad guy only sent twenty of his men" and the hero can walk right into the middle of them and doesn't have to use strategy or tactics to negate those numbers.
    Last edited by Ambaryerno; 03-03-2020 at 09:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by myownlittleusername View Post
    Well, many seem to feel that those two powers go together and so would not count it.

But for another earlier example it's enough to go back to Nightcrawler, who has both teleportation and various physical mutations along with the abilities they provide.

If you look closely you'll find a few others as well.
    I’d argue tp and tk shouldn’t go together and should be totally separate. It should be rare for a mutant to have both, but alas...

In story , Jean was a telepath who later developed tk but before the retcon she was a tk that later developed tp.

Quote Originally Posted by MechaJeanix View Post
    I’d argue tp and tk shouldn’t go together and should be totally separate.
    Agreed. Only Jean and Rachel. And they can have proficiencies.

We don't need a telepathic Exodus, a telekinetic Betsy -or- Kwannon, Selene and Apocalypse can be magic, Legion can be broken into parts, who else is out there? Moondragon?

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    Agreed. Only Jean and Rachel. And they can have proficiencies.

We don't need a telepathic Exodus, a telekinetic Betsy -or- Kwannon, Selene and Apocalypse can be magic, Legion can be broken into parts, who else is out there? Moondragon?
    Quire! He was originally just telepathic. I’m sure there are others. Writers like to put these together and some don’t know the difference in the powers.

I agree with the point that has come up a lot in this thread: Wolverine's healing factor was HEAPS better in the 80's.
    Last edited by Odd Rödney; 02-19-2021 at 08:28 AM. Reason: Bye, bye blue!
    "Kids don't care **** about superhero comic books. And if they do, they probably start with manga, with One Punch-Man or My Hero Academia. " -ImOctavius.

Quote Originally Posted by MechaJeanix View Post
    Quire! He was originally just telepathic. I’m sure there are others. Writers like to put these together and some don’t know the difference in the powers.
    Quentin Quire is a mess. I realize he has fans and his behavior *is* a nice break from the introverted groupthink of the other X-Men, but I think he’s a spoiled brat who is kept around by guys who think it’s unfair that girls get a dedicated aisle in the toy store. “We want a Phoenix too! Wahhhhh”

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quire and the other psionics should only have one ability and only Jean and her offspring should have TP plus some other type of psi power.
    "Cable was right!"

WRT to telepathic mutations, I don't really mind them growing over time. Xavier and Frost are both 1. teachers and 2. telepaths, so it makes sense the students that learn from them would benefit from their expertise and experience. Plus there's also the potential for mind-links providing exponential power, like when Jean and Monet reached Earth from the Sun. A bunch of novices linked with an adept --become adepts.

I WILL say it's a bit silly how much Emma can casually do without Cerebro, Phoenix Force, or even decades of combat practice.

There's too many telepaths nowadays to go through and give them each a specific area of expertise, but I had a list started somewhere...

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    WRT to telepathic mutations, I don't really mind them growing over time. Xavier and Frost are both 1. teachers and 2. telepaths, so it makes sense the students that learn from them would benefit from their expertise and experience. Plus there's also the potential for mind-links providing exponential power, like when Jean and Monet reached Earth from the Sun. A bunch of novices linked with an adept --become adepts.

I WILL say it's a bit silly how much Emma can casually do without Cerebro, Phoenix Force, or even decades of combat practice.

There's too many telepaths nowadays to go through and give them each a specific area of expertise, but I had a list started somewhere...
    I like the skill trumps power thing for telepaths. It makes sense since they act in a plane of imagination and intelligence rather than brute strenght.

How is your list? I'd put Emma and Charles in the psychic surgeon class, Betsy in the psychic constructs expert category and Jean in the overally good at everything club.

Quote Originally Posted by Veitha View Post
    How is your list?
    It was more like initial proficiencies. Like Charles Xavier was communication, Emma Frost was domination, Xi'an Coy Manh was cognitive projection, Danielle Moonstar was emotion enhancement (fear). Then I got carried away with my revisionist ideas to tidy up the rosters and moved on to other interests.

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Quire and the other psionics should only have one ability and only Jean and her offspring should have TP plus some other type of psi power.
    Lord Claremont clearly tried to fix the mess by giving the New Mutants really specific telepathic powers, but then editorial shat out the Phoenix retcon so they could have their Jean and eat it, and the de-birded Jean very quickly could just do everything she could have as Phoenix. Other telepaths like Betsy then gained TK abilities so they wouldn’t just be useless whenever Jean was around.