Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default C2E2 Tidbits: Amazing Spider-Man #850 and More

Nick Spencer, at the "Next Big Thing" panel at C2E2, announced a few things for the future of Spider-Man!

- Issue #44, written by Spencer and drawn by Kim Jacinto, will be the official first time that Spider-Man and Kindred face off against each other (finally!)

- The "Sins Rising" arc will primarily focus on Peter vs. Sin-Eater, with Peter making "difficult choices." According to Spencer, the choice he makes at the end of #47/LG #848 will have "everyone talking."

- Spencer says that people shouldn't ask who Kindred is, but what does Kindred want (still not being specific with the pronouns)

- He says the goal is for all of this to lead to ASM #850. From the way he said it, it sounds like Marvel may be planning a return to ASM's legacy numbering!

What do all think about what Spencer said at the panel? Sounds like big things in store for our favorite web-slinger!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WebSlingWonder View Post
    The "Sins Rising" arc will primarily focus on Peter vs. Sin-Eater, with Peter making "difficult choices." According to Spencer, the choice he makes at the end of #47/LG #848 will have "everyone talking."
    Curiouser and Curiouser.

- Spencer says that people shouldn't ask who Kindred is, but what does Kindred want (still not being specific with the pronouns)
    The choice of verb is also interesting. Remember in OMD, Mephisto says, "I want your marriage" (emphasis added). So for Kindred to want something does rhyme with that.

What do all think about what Spencer said at the panel? Sounds like big things in store for our favorite web-slinger!
    I see it as Spencer being quite careful and cautious and letting the story speak for itself. He's been very low-key and private during his run on ASM as opposed to his run on Captain America. He's been content to sit back and that's great. In general, all prof. writers should do that.

Spencer outright saying that Spider-Man would meet Kindred in #44 is cool.

BANNED

Nick Spencer, at the "Next Big Thing" panel at C2E2, announced a few things for the future of Spider-Man!

- Issue #44, written by Spencer and drawn by Kim Jacinto, will be the official first time that Spider-Man and Kindred face off against each other (finally!)

- The "Sins Rising" arc will primarily focus on Peter vs. Sin-Eater, with Peter making "difficult choices." According to Spencer, the choice he makes at the end of #47/LG #848 will have "everyone talking."

- He says the goal is for all of this to lead to ASM #850. From the way he said it, it sounds like Marvel may be planning a return to ASM's legacy numbering!

This all sounds great. Spencer is building towards a big crescendo with the Kindred reveal and I think they're going to pull out all the stops on ASM this summer. Really stoked to see what happens when Spencer starts turning over all his cards.

And going back to the legacy numbering sounds good to me. They'll probably keep it up until #1000 and then relaunch again - or at least until #900 and relaunch!
    Last edited by Prof. Warren; 03-02-2020 at 09:44 AM.

It reminds me a bit of what DC is currently doing with the legacy numbering of "Wonder Woman" and "The Flash." It's actually kind of exciting that this current volume of ASM will actually reach #49 (so close to #50 on its own!). Reminds me of JMS when it remembered back to #500 on up.

I think we have some kind of inkling as to what Kindred wants, if not in an exact way.

I'm kind of torn on legacy numberings considering how inconsistent Marvel can be with it. First it's back, then it's gone just as quickly, or they just bring it out for special occasions (which I somewhat get, but still.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think we have some kind of inkling as to what Kindred wants, if not in an exact way.

I'm kind of torn on legacy numberings considering how inconsistent Marvel can be with it. First it's back, then it's gone just as quickly, or they just bring it out for special occasions (which I somewhat get, but still.
    With Spider-Man, they've gone back to legacy two times. Volume 2 #58 to Volume 1 #500
    Volume 4 #32 to Volume 1 #789

And that first time went 200 issues before renumbering! So hopefully, that same thing happens here.

Glad to hear that the Kindred Plot is about to get some refocus. Wonder what tough choice Peter is going to make that will make everyone talk cause I doubt its killing honestly
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Speaking of the future of Spider-Man, Patrick Gleason is working on the art for the FCBD issue! Here's a sneak peek from him!

- Looks like another cool team-up between Spider-Man and Black Cat!
    - Vulture looks to be getting a major push as well, with Spidey facing off against his old foe

The art looks absolutely gorgeous!!!

https://www.instagram.com/p/B9Pd29-A..._web_copy_link

ASM #900 will also be coming out in 2022, Spidey's 60th Anniversary, release of Into The Spider-Verse 2, and possibly the 2nd Insomniac game. So that's gonna be a big year

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    ASM #900 will also be coming out in 2022, Spidey's 60th Anniversary, release of Into The Spider-Verse 2, and possibly the 2nd Insomniac game. So that's gonna be a big year
    Oh heck yes! Let's freaking go!!!

BANNED

Milestone issues and milestone years have always counted in Spider-Man

- Amazing Spider-Man #50 -- Spider-Man No More!" story
    - Issue 100: Peter grows extra arms..
    - Issue 200: Spider-Man faced Uncle Ben's killer, the Burglar (who was now working with Mysterio) once more.
    - Issue 300: First full appearance of Venom.
    - Issue 400: Death of Aunt May, in The Gift by JMD.
    - Issue 500: Spidey gets to meet Uncle Ben's ghost for five minutes thanks to Strange.
    - Issue 600: Aunt May gets remarried.
    - Issue 700: Doc Ock body-snatches Peter.
    - Issue 800: Death of Flash Thompson.

Anniversary Year Stories:
    -- 25th Anniversary (1987): Peter and MJ get married
    -- 40th Anniversary (2002) was the year in which the first Spider-Man movie released.
    -- 50th Anniversary: The first-ever crossover between the Marvel Universe and the Ultimate Marvel universe when Peter meets Miles Morales for the first time in Bendis' USM.

Now the pattern with Milestone issues is either some kind of valediction (Spider-Man No More, facing the burglar, meeting Ben's Ghost), a big change (Aunt May dying, Aunt May remarrying, Flash Thompson dying) or some bizarre new shakeup (Six-Arms, Venom, Ock body-snatches). Slott's three milestone issues are in the realm of the bizarre and big change. So the next one if Spencer does it could be something similar or different. Anniversary years though tend to be valedictory and celebratory events, so 2022 should be positive and uplifting.

Obviously ASM#1000 as Marvel's first ongoing to reach that milestone should be positive, uplifting, and valedictory because that's an issue many civilians and others will have eyes on. So ideally, I think ASM#1000 should be...Peter Parker's 30th Birthday. I mean it's a big change, up there in the "never ever" thing, it's also a kind of valedictory moment for the character and taking-stock which such an event would represent, and it would step up to the occasion of a character reaching 1000 issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Obviously ASM#1000 as Marvel's first ongoing to reach that milestone should be positive, uplifting, and valedictory because that's an issue many civilians and others will have eyes on. So ideally, I think ASM#1000 should be...Peter Parker's 30th Birthday. I mean it's a big change, up there in the "never ever" thing, it's also a kind of valedictory moment for the character and taking-stock which such an event would represent, and it would step up to the occasion of a character reaching 1000 issues.
    I wouldn't be surprised if they just made #1000 if they went the Action & Detective Comics routes and had a bunch of short stories by famous Spidey writers. I could also see something similar to JMS' Happy Birthday or last year's ASM: Full Circle being a good approach for that too. (If they keep double shipping that'll be coming in 2026).

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Milestone issues and milestone years have always counted in Spider-Man

- Amazing Spider-Man #50 -- Spider-Man No More!" story
    - Issue 100: Peter grows extra arms..
    - Issue 200: Spider-Man faced Uncle Ben's killer, the Burglar (who was now working with Mysterio) once more.
    - Issue 300: First full appearance of Venom.
    - Issue 400: Death of Aunt May, in The Gift by JMD.
    - Issue 500: Spidey gets to meet Uncle Ben's ghost for five minutes thanks to Strange.
    - Issue 600: Aunt May gets remarried.
    - Issue 700: Doc Ock body-snatches Peter.
    - Issue 800: Death of Flash Thompson.

Anniversary Year Stories:
    -- 25th Anniversary (1987): Peter and MJ get married
    -- 40th Anniversary (2002) was the year in which the first Spider-Man movie released.
    -- 50th Anniversary: The first-ever crossover between the Marvel Universe and the Ultimate Marvel universe when Peter meets Miles Morales for the first time in Bendis' USM.

Now the pattern with Milestone issues is either some kind of valediction (Spider-Man No More, facing the burglar, meeting Ben's Ghost), a big change (Aunt May dying, Aunt May remarrying, Flash Thompson dying) or some bizarre new shakeup (Six-Arms, Venom, Ock body-snatches). Slott's three milestone issues are in the realm of the bizarre and big change. So the next one if Spencer does it could be something similar or different. Anniversary years though tend to be valedictory and celebratory events, so 2022 should be positive and uplifting.

I wouldn't be surprised if they just made #1000 if they went the Action & Detective Comics routes and had a bunch of short stories by famous Spidey writers. I could also see something similar to JMS' Happy Birthday or last year's ASM: Full Circle being a good approach for that too. (If they keep double shipping that'll be coming in 2026).
    Chances are that the #1000 issue will be double-shipped. Since they've been double (or triple) shipping for over ten years now, I think it's safe to say that it'll come out by 2026 like you said.

I do like Jack's analysis of the milestone/anniversary issues though! I don't know if Spencer should make #900 uplifting as much as he could. But #900 would be a pretty big milestone for Marvel as their first title ever to hit that number. Going from #850 onwards would be a great place to do that!

Speaking of the future of Spider-Man, Patrick Gleason is working on the art for the FCBD issue! Here's a sneak peek from him!

- Looks like another cool team-up between Spider-Man and Black Cat!
    - Vulture looks to be getting a major push as well, with Spidey facing off against his old foe

The art looks absolutely gorgeous!!!

https://www.instagram.com/p/B9Pd29-A..._web_copy_link
    It'll be nice to see Spencer writing Peter and Felicia together.

Vulture without the Savage Six?

BANNED

I wouldn't be surprised if they just made #1000 if they went the Action & Detective Comics routes and had a bunch of short stories by famous Spidey writers.
    Amazing Spider-Man is an ongoing title that's been continuously published since 1963 and in the same continuity, whereas Superman and Batman are no longer in any sense continuous to the versions Bill Finger and Siegel/Shuster created and developed in the late 30s. So Amazing Spider-Man reaching #1000 is a bigger deal, especially since it will have done it in far less time than Superman and Batman reached their milestones. (60 years versus 80 years).

In any case, being that Action Comics and Detective Comics are anthology titles that hosted Superman and Batman's first appearances, the thing to do in that realm is Amazing Fantasy #1000 or something like that. Heck you want to be ambitious, put out Amazing Fantasy #1000 as a giant anthology where you ask multiple writers to do a 1-Page comic about Spider-Man and here's the kicker...ask 1000 of them, so that you have a 1000 page comic, which you then unfurl in 10 issues of 100 pages each.

I could also see something similar to JMS' Happy Birthday or last year's ASM: Full Circle being a good approach for that too. (If they keep double shipping that'll be coming in 2026).
    Maybe JMS' Happy Birthday would be the model...but I think if you are doing an ongoing story of Peter Parker in ASM and he reaches #1000 you need to do something big and lasting for that. And Peter turning 30 would absolutely be that. I mean for one thing these days, turning 30 doesn't have the sense of foreboding that it once did...people age slower than before, and the youth-inspired culture is such that 30 year olds have more in common with 20 year olds in terms of language, culture, and mores.