Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast

It makes sense that Daredevil had a lot of Spider-Man villains early on, it seemed like Daredevil was essentially just Marvel attempting to create another Spider-Man, before he eventually was able to become something of his own.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Let me get this straight, you don't care for comics but you still judge adaptations not on their merit but on their reference and connection to pre-existing stuff?
    My relationship with comics, seeing as it's a hobby I used to love but now try and fail to even keep up with, is complicated. I also am a bit obsessed with nostalgia, adaptation and other ways media connect with each other and people. The way I judge things is, again, complicated. But, regarding that movie, the whole thing with Kingpin as a mobster/billionaire obsessed with getting his family back worked for me as an inciting motive for the whole thing.

Actually there are -- Tombstone, Hammerhead, Silvermane. Tombstone actually played that part in the excellent Spectacular Spider-Man cartoon.
    Silvermane I'll give you. Hammerhead I can't see as anything but a thug and underling. Tombstone's depiction in Spectacular Spider-Man kind of confounds me. Because they never really gave him much development. They didn't even use his connection to Robbie Robertson. I mean, Kingpin at least had the familial stuff. I mean, Tombstone could have worked. Is it because the series was so short?

That's fair.

Ive never seen Tombstone as someone who can run the show. More like super powered leg breaker for a higher up. Hammerhead maybe but he has not done enough for me to see him as a large threat. I will give you Silvermane. He has brains to get things done.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Doombot View Post
    The FF and Thor do.
    The FF arguably have the greatest rogues gallery in comics, because they eventually went on to help form the majority of the Marvel Universe.
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:
    /Doctor Strange/Captain Marvel\Scarlet Witch\
    /Iron Man/Captain Britain/Wasp\X-Men\
    /JSA\/X-Treme X-Men\/WILDCATS\

https://comic-watch.com/author/baradtzgmail-com

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

The problem with the FF is every new writer wants to tell their Doctor Doom and their Galactus story. Since no writer seems to stay on a book for more than s couple arcs these days most of the FF baddies never get used.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Fang View Post
    That's because we're in the era of trash villains. Even entertainment like WWE has gone down hill to the sewer in how they book their Heels.

Villains just aren't allowed to be too effective anymore. Which is why many like it when they become good guys. It'll be the only time they're treated decently.

Again I loved Invert Sabretooth under Bunn, Brisson, and Duggan. Best character work he'd had in years.

Back to being a villain and his feats are

1. Getting Jobbed out by Rahne
    2. Beheaded by Magik
    3. Used as a punching bag for F4
    4. Mind-screwed by Jean & Emma
    5. Thrown in a hole for eternity.

Yet so many were clambering to have villain Creed back. Now he is, and just as useless as always. Speaking of WWE, Creed is basically the Kane of the X-Franchise.
    He got jobbed by Rahne? Like Wolfsbane Rahne? How?
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    He got jobbed by Rahne? Like Wolfsbane Rahne? How?
    Yes. It was in War of Realms. She tackled him easily, then tore out his throat and he was beheaded by Rahne.

Probably his most pathetic showing yet. Which is saying something because he's had noting but bad showings since 2003.

It looks as pathetic as it sounds.

A historical chapter for me though. Because it was here I realized the character was ruined beyond repair and that there's no point staying on the remains of a destroyed ship, so I jumped as a fan. Loser villains was never my thing.

While the execution was contrived, sloppy as Hell, and something I will always argue against, it's good Hickman euthanized him in HOX. Hopefully he won't be back any time soon. Heck we got preview sketches from Wolverine #2 that show flashbacks of him jobbing once again.
    WOLV2020002005_col-copy-min.jpg
    Last edited by Silver Fang; 03-07-2020 at 07:59 PM.

Was that before or after Rahne got owned by some random human racists?

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    Before. But I suppose that's moot. Because she chose not to fight back. Not like she fought back at full strength and was overpowered by humans and killed in 2 sec. Which is more than I can say for 17 years worth of Jobbertooth's showings.

And what used to be one of the X-Men's more dangerous villains got jobbed out to her. So I am not seeing anything too bad on Rahne's end. But plenty of bad on Crud's end.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    Before. But I suppose that's moot. Because she chose not to fight back. Not like she fought back at full strength and was overpowered by humans and killed in 2 sec. Which is more than I can say for 17 years worth of Jobbertooth's showings.

And what used to be one of the X-Men's more dangerous villains got jobbed out to her. So I am not seeing anything too bad on Rahne's end. But plenty of bad on Crud's end.
    And that is my problem with Rahne's death...the fight with Sabretooth aside...she could have stomped those punks (even without killing them) but chose not to for...REASONS!!! It was all just for the shock value of 'killing one of the few mutants left' just to bring her back.

And since I am not up on all the hip slang the cool kids are using...please define jobbing/jobbed/jobber? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    And since I am not up on all the hip slang the cool kids are using...please define jobbing/jobbed/jobber? Thanks.
    I'll quote urban dictionary. It articulates it better.

A guy or girl who is only in it for the job. Not necessarily evil if they are a henchmen. Not necessarily good if they're a police officer. You'll usually see them getting their asses handed to them by a super hero or super villain.
    A professional wrestler who frequently and deliberately loses matches.

* The act of losing is called jobbing and a frequent loser is referred to as a jobber. It is a mark of disrespect to refer to a wrestler as a jobber, as it implies they are a failure in their career. The term has entered into popular culture, to mean a loser or someone who is worthless, as well as its Italian equivalent, jabroni, a phrase that was made popular by The Rock. Former alternate terms included journeyman (because of jobbers being hired for individual matches and not having contracts with the major promotions), enhancement talent (due to their usage to enhance the stature of their opponent) and ham-n-egger (in reference to the amount of money they make buys them just enough for a Ham and Egg breakfast).
    It's normal for strong characters to lose and show their enemy is dangerous & not to be messed with. But when the strong character starts doing nothing but losing, and doing it badly in one-sided stomps, they're no longer strong. And instead of making foes look good, it just makes them look bad because everyone has been kicking their ass.

With wrestling, Kane is an example. In the 90's and early 2000's, he was a monster nobody wanted to deal with and a big thing with him was no-selling (shrugging off) opponents' attacks. In 99, he took a chair to the back and didn't flinch. Nowadays, a chair shot damn near kills him & he's getting beaten up by. Mark Henry is another. Billed as the world's strongest man, but loses 95% of the fights he's in.
    Last edited by Silver Fang; 03-07-2020 at 08:42 PM.

Extraordinary Member

I'll quote urban dictionary. It articulates it better.

A professional wrestler who frequently and deliberately loses matches.

It's normal for strong characters to lose and show their enemy is dangerous & not to be messed with. But when the strong character starts doing nothing but losing, and doing it badly in one-sided stomps, they're no longer strong. And instead of making foes look good, it just makes them look bad because everyone has been kicking their ass.

With wrestling, Kane is an example. In the 90's and early 2000's, he was a monster nobody wanted to deal with and a big thing with him was no-selling (shrugging off) opponents' attacks. In 99, he took a chair to the back and didn't flinch. Nowadays, a chair shot damn near kills him & he's getting beaten up by. Mark Henry is another. Billed as the world's strongest man, but loses 95% of the fights he's in.
    Thank you.

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    The problem with the FF is every new writer wants to tell their Doctor Doom and their Galactus story. Since no writer seems to stay on a book for more than s couple arcs these days most of the FF baddies never get used.
    That’s almost why I’m glad Slott is on FF. He may not be everyone’s cup of tea, but I’d like to see what he could do if he had a run like he did on ASM.
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:
    /Doctor Strange/Captain Marvel\Scarlet Witch\
    /Iron Man/Captain Britain/Wasp\X-Men\
    /JSA\/X-Treme X-Men\/WILDCATS\

https://comic-watch.com/author/baradtzgmail-com

Probably Abyss.
    I can’t even name any of his rogues.

Silvermane I'll give you. Hammerhead I can't see as anything but a thug and underling. Tombstone's depiction in Spectacular Spider-Man kind of confounds me. Because they never really gave him much development. They didn't even use his connection to Robbie Robertson. I mean, Kingpin at least had the familial stuff. I mean, Tombstone could have worked. Is it because the series was so short?
    Hammerhead I always saw as one of the lesser crime bosses. He's important enough to get called to the big meetings, but he's never going to be one of the guys running the whole show.

Tombstone though, there's a guy that always felt like a thug and a leg breaker to me. He might want respect, but he's not smart enough to really run a crime family. I though using him as the big crimeboss on the cartoon was a weird choice. I guess Kingpin wasn't available and they needed a crimeboss Spidey could physically fight.