Page 21 of 26 FirstFirst ... 11171819202122232425 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member Marvel Forever's Avatar

Somehow that story line does not seem like a winner to me, but apparently others thought it acceptable.

Saoirse Ronan The Accuser CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    I think “hate” is possibly the wrong word..but think it fair to say he’s been written strangely in large chunks of Aaron stories.

Put it this way. Imagine a Superman writer decided Superman’s costume was sentient and source of most of his powers, and wrote a mega long arc where Lois donned the costume and did everything better than Superman...I don’t think many Superman fans would love that story line.

Then throw in that Superman had cheated on Lois, and was a selfish jerk in his youth...

Aaron did the equivalent to Thor. For me the surprise is not that many fans disliked it...the surprise is that it sold pretty well.
    For me the surprise that Aaron's run has rabid fans that will unleash WWIII on you if you criticize it.
    I think an easy way to look at Thanos stories is that anything written by Jim Starlin, Ron Marz and Keith Giffen is the real Thanos while anything written by other authors should be dismissed as a Thanosi clone.

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree View Post
    For me the surprise that Aaron's run has rabid fans that will unleash WWIII on you if you criticize it.
    And on the flip side you have major haters who won’t appreciate anything Aaron did well or missed the mark on.

Aaron’s Thor got beat up by everyone. Cates’ Thor just wrecked Galactus. That’s the difference right there. I’m curious to see how Aaron will handle Thor in the Avengers now that Cates has restored him to someone you would fear fighting.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dreaded Porcupine View Post
    Aaron’s Thor got beat up by everyone. Cates’ Thor just wrecked Galactus. That’s the difference right there. I’m curious to see how Aaron will handle Thor in the Avengers now that Cates has restored him to someone you would fear fighting.
    Get his ass whooped by the Phoenix

Quote Originally Posted by HipHopAvenger View Post
    Get his ass whooped by the Phoenix
    More than likely. He lost to MoonKnight. MoonKnight! Yet another loss. A guy who worships a chicken head skull god. Can’t wait for this BC stuff to be over in the Avengers.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

I think it's just a matter of time before Thor's new golden age begins. It's always right around the corner.

More than likely. He lost to MoonKnight. MoonKnight! Yet another loss. A guy who worships a chicken head skull god. Can’t wait for this BC stuff to be over in the Avengers.
    Wasn't Moon Knight massively powered up?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Wasn't Moon Knight massively powered up?
    He was.

The story might be wonky but there’s an in-series reason for Moon Knight to be so powerful.

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

They need to find a middle ground. Thor shouldn’t be able to do that to Galactus.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    They need to find a middle ground. Thor shouldn’t be able to do that to Galactus.
    Exactly.

I actually preferred the way Jason Aaron handled King Thor vs Galactus. The first round went to Galactus clean but the second round had Thor put on the Necro-Sword and that coupled with the Odin force and his base power was enough to put down a weakened Galactus.

Cates just had Thor punk Galactus throughout the entire arc and blow him up at the end. I know he wanted to show Thor as a bad ass but it was a bit much.

BANNED

If you ask me whether Marvel writers hate Thor, then my answer is no. No, because no matter how you slice it, Thor is beloved by Marvel writers because he got such a development in his characters that no demigod or godly characters can be compared to him. They are showing him as the God that human love. Not because of his power, but because of his love of humanity and how grown he is with them. To me, that is severely more interesting than reading Thor punching a planet or battling god because that is human. Jason Aaron might be not Walter Simonson in terms of epicness, but Aaron knew what kind God that Thor was supposed to be. The God that is with us. Not an imaginary way, but a more literal way. He is drinking with us, partying with us, telling us stories of his adventures while boasting like a prick. That is the human way of the depiction of God that human love and, that is why Thor's story starts not with a big battle splash, but with the story. The story that everyone forgets about Thor is trying to lift his hammer while questioning if he can do it or not. That is human and wether if he can blow up a mountain is secondary.

Now I know as fans we want him to have a badass power and badass fight fit of his power, a story that pits him against his peer or more in strength and he defeat him while commanding like a badass god that he should be. But is that Thor? Is that the fun-loving Thor that eat ice cream and become giddy after getting a single date with Jane Foster? I think not. It's a matter of perspective. Thor is not only badass god. He is much more than that, and we as fans will be damned if that is the only aspect of him. If his only story arc is fighting without context, then what is the fun of it? I read some posters stated that the problems with Aaron's story are how Jane Foster is better than Thor.

I think the idea is lost to some people, but the point of that story is Jane Foster is human because of that she is stronger than Thor. Thor can move stars and making a storm size of the galaxy that ate the planet, but at the end of the day, he is God. A God of course, can do that. But what about mortals who worshipped them and much weaker than them. Should they get, themself killed and damned because they can't do anything. No. They did the best they could, and no matter how you slice it, the mortals that can do that are infinitely greater than Gods who can do anything. Now, Jason Aaron wanted to portray that, but the problem with the story is that it is intertwined with a story that people would hate, and that is how he become mopey because he lost his hammer. But it does not hammer that he lost, but his self-esteem at Gods. He feels that Gods are pointless. If you look at his dad and any other Gods of Marvel, they just do whatever they wanted without care, and mortals are the ones to suffer. But he forgot that he is not them and will always be not them, because he is Thor - The God of THunder, protector of humanity. It doesn't matter how much you spin it he will always be like that. But, again if you make a story about human then you need a human feeling too and that is depression. Thor's depression is an interesting angle to read not because of the depression story is interesting. No it is not. But because even God can feel it like that, then we also can feel it too. But if we can get past that then God-like Thor surely can do it too,

So all in all Marvel modern writers don't hate Thor, but writing him monotonously won't make him interesting. If his story only features him fighting someone then it will get boring, same can be said if he is badass, then he will be jerk. They just try to make it interesting in the way that they wanted him to be and of course, the story sells that is already proven that the idea works for Thor.

Oh and that thing about Thor doesn't control lightning with his hands like in Empyre. What kind cool scene is that if after he get tangled by vines he immediately destroy it with Thunder. it's matter of coolness man.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Exactly.

I actually preferred the way Jason Aaron handled King Thor vs Galactus. The first round went to Galactus clean but the second round had Thor put on the Necro-Sword and that coupled with the Odin force and his base power was enough to put down a weakened Galactus.

Cates just had Thor punk Galactus throughout the entire arc and blow him up at the end. I know he wanted to show Thor as a bad ass but it was a bit much.
    Yeah, that to me is actually much worse.

I think it's OKAY to punk out a hero in the middle of a story because you know deep down that the hero will somehow someway win in the end. But conversely, because you know the villain is losing at the end if they lose in the middle too then basically the villain has been waisting their time and ours the entire time.

It feels like writers have difficulty with balance these days, and especially with Thor these days his personality and effectiveness have been wildly fluctuating ever since Aaron wrote him.

I agree. Cates must be trying to overcompensate for Aaron’s Poor portrayal of Thor. Still it’s nice to see a powerful Thor again and not one getting beat up by everyone.