Page 10 of 26 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    I feel like the classic Simonson run pretty much exhausted the potential of Surtr and Jormungandr (while introducing Malekith and Kurse, IIRC). I'm pretty cool with Surtr being succeeded by Sindr, and wouldn't mind seeing her developed further, but Jormungandr definitely needs some sort of follow up (spawn erupting from his remains, and now competing for which of them gets to become the new 'midgard serpent?'), as do older classic Thor foes like Fenris/Garm or Ulik, king of the trolls.

New villains could be crafted from the old mythos as well. There's no need for Hela, for instance, to show up for every punch-fest, when a simple sorcerer-priest or cult of Hela (perhaps recruited during her time on Earth, in Vegas?), able to summon legions of the dead, and use various darker magics and invocations (like 'the Lies of Loki,' an illusion spell that creates a bunch of illusions of themself, or 'Sindr's Sword,' a giant flaming sword attacking their foes) could be a different sort of threat. Or the dragon Fafnir, slain long ago and one of his fangs used to craft the original Valkyrie's sword, could be resurrected by someone who has stolen said sword and used it to fuel a spell to regrow his body and restore his threat.
    I like a lot of your new villain ideas, but I disagree with the bit about Surtur. Aside from being the big bad in Simonson's run, he is a woefully underdeveloped character. Surtur and the entire realm Muspellheim have barely been touched except for the odd event motivator. But instead, Marvel has chosen to just make a female Surtur-lite with this Sindr character. Why develop Surtur more when you can just toss him in the bin and make a female knock-off? Sounds like another stellar Marvel idea. Also, while he may look like it at first glance, Surtur is not a demon or a devil and Muspellheim is not some realm of damnation filled with demons. I really wish Marvel writers would understand this. Surtur is the living embodiment of cosmic heat and flame. There is more potential for the character with this understanding in my opinion.

As for Jormungand, he/it is really not even interesting as an idea to me. I haven't been a fan of any version Marvel has done of the character. It's really just supposed to sleep until the end of time.
    Last edited by Doombot; 03-15-2020 at 05:38 PM.

Saoirse Ronan The Accuser CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Doombot View Post
    I like a lot of your new villain ideas, but I disagree with the bit about Surtur. Aside from being the big bad in Simonson's run, he is a woefully underdeveloped character. Surtur and the entire realm Muspellheim have barely been touched except for the odd event motivator. But instead, Marvel has chosen to just make a female Surtur-lite with this Sindr character. Why develop Surtur more when you can just toss him in the bin and make a female knock-off? Sounds like another stellar Marvel idea. Also, while he may look like it at first glance, Surtur is not a demon or a devil and Muspellheim is not some realm of damnation filled with demons. I really wish Marvel writers would understand this. Surtur is the living embodiment of cosmic heat and flame. There is more potential for the character with this understanding in my opinion.

As for Jormungand, he/it is really not even interesting as an idea to me. I haven't been a fan of any version Marvel has done of the character. It's really just supposed to sleep until the end of time.
    I like your vision of Surtur. Although i think Mangog is the most underrated Thor villain. He's pretty much Marvel's Doomsday before Doomsday was cool.
    I think an easy way to look at Thanos stories is that anything written by Jim Starlin, Ron Marz and Keith Giffen is the real Thanos while anything written by other authors should be dismissed as a Thanosi clone.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Are you assuming that people nostalgic for those eras ignore a lack of actual substance in those eras? I don't think that's true for Simonson.
    That's almost the opposite of what I was saying.

Quote Originally Posted by Cronus View Post
    Actually, this notion is not far from the Thor Stan envisioned. Thor was a departure from the previous characters utilizing the "feet made of clay" formula. Thor was Stans first Cape at Marvel and subtle competition to Superman. As far as success, do you think Thors rogue gallery is insufficient to challenge Thor? Desak, Mangog, The Enchanters (woefully underused), The Absorbing Man, Kurse? Hmmmm. What I'd like to see is Thor returned to form.

Kind of sounds like you're happy with Thor being depicted as a drunken moron who is now weaker than Shulk. Because that's not really my idea of a Thor I want to read either.
    Friendly reminder we just go through 5 years of this garbage.

I think an easy way to look at Thanos stories is that anything written by Jim Starlin, Ron Marz and Keith Giffen is the real Thanos while anything written by other authors should be dismissed as a Thanosi clone.

Quote Originally Posted by Ichijinijisanji View Post
    the worst of this, far as I can tell, is just one writer who's been a main writer on thor for 5 years.

I don't remember fraction's run showing him this poorly.
    And now even when he Is not writing the Thor series anymore, he couldn't help but having Jane being stronger than Thor in her book. Not even Bendis is this petty.

I don't know why Aaron hates Thor so much
    Last edited by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree; 03-17-2020 at 11:14 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree View Post
    And now even when he Is not writing the Thor series anymore, he couldn't help but having Jane being stronger than Thor in her book. Not even Bendis is this petty.

eh
    maybe the black stuff made him weaker

Quote Originally Posted by Ichijinijisanji View Post
    eh
    maybe the black stuff made him weaker
    But Jane easily shrugged off the black stuff.

BANNED

But Jane easily shrugged off the black stuff.
    well it's like cancer, and she's had cancer so it's a more familiar sensation to be able to fight it. Maybe cancer survivors are more resistant. She also took smaller attacks from it, rather than thor just plunging his hammer into the source directly

and since it appears to have an effect of weakening and draining your life force away, that is an explanation for how she can win the physical fight atleast

this is just no-prizing it, until the issue comes out and maybe this is explained
    Last edited by Ichijinijisanji; 03-17-2020 at 02:23 PM.

Friendly reminder we just go through 5 years of this garbage.

Yeah, and evidently not over as long as Aaron is writing Thor in Avengers. Hes obviously made this personal.

*sigh*
    "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margret's not coming?"
    ----------------------
    "One of the maddening but beautiful things about comics is that you have to give characters a sense of change without changing them so much that they violate the essence of who they are." ~ Ann Nocenti, Chris Claremont's X-Men.

On the other hand, I am enjoying Cates' run on Thor so far!
    "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margret's not coming?"
    ----------------------
    "One of the maddening but beautiful things about comics is that you have to give characters a sense of change without changing them so much that they violate the essence of who they are." ~ Ann Nocenti, Chris Claremont's X-Men.

Quote Originally Posted by Cronus View Post
    Yeah, and evidently not over as long as Aaron is writing Thor in Avengers. Hes obviously made this personal.

*sigh*
    Maybe Aaron should be taken off the Avengers as well. He seems spiteful. Obviously can’t take criticism from fans it seems. I dropped the Avengers. Space mountain and the BC Avengers just weren’t doing it for me.

Have you seen Valkyrie's sales? He rode on the back of 90s style stunt writing and now he is (finally) realizing that what made Foster popular was the hammer. His run will be mentioned in the same breath as The Clone Saga, Emerald Twilight, The Death Of Superman, That story that resulted in Tony Stark being turned into a teenager lol and Knighfall in the "Hey, remember when..." dustbin
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Have you seen Valkyrie's sales? He rode on the back of 90s style stunt writing and now he is (finally) realizing that what made Foster popular was the hammer. His run will be mentioned in the same breath as The Clone Saga, Emerald Twilight, The Death Of Superman, That story that resulted in Tony Stark being turned into a teenager lol and Knighfall in the "Hey, remember when..." dustbin
    The Death and Return of Superman is a good storyline though.

I really wonder why JKtheMac hasn't tried to defend Aaron's Thor and Valkyrie here.
    Last edited by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree; 03-17-2020 at 05:59 PM.

The Death and Return of Superman is a good storyline though.
    Okay, take out Death and Return of Superman and use Maximum Carnage instead.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Or use that saga that resulted in Cap wearing armor.
    Last edited by Anthony W; 03-18-2020 at 01:55 PM.