BANNED

jesus that torture scene from #8
    sometimes it isn't needed

Saoirse Ronan The Accuser CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ichijinijisanji View Post
    jesus that torture scene from #8
    sometimes it isn't needed
    The artwork was also an eyesore.
    I think an easy way to look at Thanos stories is that anything written by Jim Starlin, Ron Marz and Keith Giffen is the real Thanos while anything written by other authors should be dismissed as a Thanosi clone.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree View Post
    Oh for Odin's blood! We just went through 5 if not 7 Years of this nonsense.

Why are you doing this Cates?
    Yeah...the sad thing is Aaron rides the feminism boat (hides behind?) as a preemptive defense for the utter crap he writes. If you don't like it, you're not progressive. Funny though...writer's do routinely express their dissatisfaction with fans giving negative feedback. But the comics medium seems to be the only one where writers can get away with behaving like Aaron does. It is truly sad, as was mentioned in the video, Thor has been treated with such disrespect. Can you imagine the reaction by fans of Superman had Lois become "Superman", and Clark a whining drunk? Yet another example of years of disrespect to what used to be an amazing character. I have no intention of seeing Thor 4, Blood and Thunder.
    "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margret's not coming?"
    ----------------------
    "One of the maddening but beautiful things about comics is that you have to give characters a sense of change without changing them so much that they violate the essence of who they are." ~ Ann Nocenti, Chris Claremont's X-Men.

Amazing Member

Maybe it will be revealed ultimately that the unforgiven or unseen or whatever the heck he is called had bamboozled the hammer with a second whisper that was heard only by the hammer. Lol

You can’t exactly say you’re coming from an unbiased point of origin in regards to the quality of Aaron’s work.

Quote Originally Posted by Cronus View Post
    Yeah...the sad thing is Aaron rides the feminism boat (hides behind?) as a preemptive defense for the utter crap he writes. If you don't like it, you're not progressive. Funny though...writer's do routinely express their dissatisfaction with fans giving negative feedback. But the comics medium seems to be the only one where writers can get away with behaving like Aaron does. It is truly sad, as was mentioned in the video, Thor has been treated with such disrespect. Can you imagine the reaction by fans of Superman had Lois become "Superman", and Clark a whining drunk? Yet another example of years of disrespect to what used to be an amazing character. I have no intention of seeing Thor 4, Blood and Thunder.
    Superman was depicted as a whiny drunk in the Elseworlds JLA: Act of God.
    I think an easy way to look at Thanos stories is that anything written by Jim Starlin, Ron Marz and Keith Giffen is the real Thanos while anything written by other authors should be dismissed as a Thanosi clone.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    Was that the one where she started flying, then panicked?

You’d need balls of steel to write the equivalent story now....
    Was it that bad? I've read the SuperMegaMonkey synopsis but never saw the scans.
    "Cable was right!"

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Was it that bad? I've read the SuperMegaMonkey synopsis but never saw the scans.
    Bear in mind that this is a story I read decades ago, never read since, and that my memory is notoriously wonky...

In short what I’m about to say may be well out of kilter. If anybody comes along to say “Jack’s got this wrong”...believe them, rather than me.

Here goes. Thor fancies marrying Jane, so takes her home to meet the parents...(We all know how badly that can go...)

Odin decides Thor can only marry a goddess so gifts Jane with a few powers, including power of flight. She takes off into air, enjoys it at first, then thinks “This is impossible”, and her doubt causes her to fall, crash land.

Odin then decides, Jane lacks bravery, takes away the powers, decrees Thor can’t marry her. Thor accepts the decree.

Even as a youngster my gut reaction that this was more of a case of Odin and Thor being written as prats, as opposed to Jane not being brave...but I suppose one interpretation is that Norse battle gods would place exceptional stress on physical recklessness.

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    Bear in mind that this is a story I read decades ago, never read since, and that my memory is notoriously wonky...

In short what I’m about to say may be well out of kilter. If anybody comes along to say “Jack’s got this wrong”...believe them, rather than me.

Here goes. Thor fancies marrying Jane, so takes her home to meet the parents...(We all know how badly that can go...)

Odin decides Thor can only marry a goddess so gifts Jane with a few powers, including power of flight. She takes off into air, enjoys it at first, then thinks “This is impossible”, and her doubt causes her to fall, crash land.

Odin then decides, Jane lacks bravery, takes away the powers, decrees Thor can’t marry her. Thor accepts the decree.

Even as a youngster my gut reaction that this was more of a case of Odin and Thor being written as prats, as opposed to Jane not being brave...but I suppose one interpretation is that Norse battle gods would place exceptional stress on physical recklessness.
    Jane failed the test when she got scared by a shadow monster and told Thor she doesn't want to be in Asgard anymore.

Jane failed the test when she got scared by a shadow monster and told Thor she doesn't want to be in Asgard anymore.
    Given the state of Asgard...most of us would regard that as a profoundly sensible decision. (And thanks for correction...I suppose one day I will steel myself and re-read, but “busy” looking at old episodes of Lost for next few weeks.)

Superman was depicted as a whiny drunk in the Elseworlds JLA: Act of God.
    I wasn't aware. Did it last as long as Thor's humiliation? But I think, by and large, many aren't aware of that aspect of Superman's continuity. Thor's depiction as an incompetent drunk, presented as someone who should be ashamed of his own masculinity, has become the norm for Thor. Basically, my thing is this: if Marvel wants to push a premier super heroine that appeals to pre-teen girls, why do they feel it necessary to humiliate/make fun of the masculinity of an already established Marvel character? Is that the message Marvel wants to send, that in order to further the interests of feminism, emasculating and humiliating an ultra masculine character is the way to do it?
    "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margret's not coming?"
    ----------------------
    "One of the maddening but beautiful things about comics is that you have to give characters a sense of change without changing them so much that they violate the essence of who they are." ~ Ann Nocenti, Chris Claremont's X-Men.

I wasn't aware. Did it last as long as Thor's humiliation? But I think, by and large, many aren't aware of that aspect of Superman's continuity. Thor's depiction as an incompetent drunk, presented as someone who should be ashamed of his own masculinity, has become the norm for Thor. Basically, my thing is this: if Marvel wants to push a premier super heroine that appeals to pre-teen girls, why do they feel it necessary to humiliate/make fun of the masculinity of an already established Marvel character? Is that the message Marvel wants to send, that in order to further the interests of feminism, emasculating and humiliating an ultra masculine character is the way to do it?
    You should watch Linkara's review of Act of God. Lots of fun.

The whole Justice League spend the whole mini moping about losing their powers and gushing over how awesome Batman is because he never had powers. Oh and Diana converts to catholicosm out of desperation. It's pretty dumb. The only good thing about it Is it's not a canon story.
    Last edited by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree; 03-22-2020 at 10:05 AM.

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

This is just one page... though that said I think this page from Thor #5 (2015) surely sums up Aaron’s approach to feminism in comics:

Last edited by Electricmastro; 03-22-2020 at 02:03 PM.

Who is that? Titania?

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Who is that? Titania?
    Yep. And the funny thing is she never went easy on She-Hulk just because she is a woman. I think she even impaled her once