Page 16 of 26 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    I thought Hemsworth did a good job with the dramatic in Infinity War and Endgame. Which are also the only Avengers films where it feels like Thor is there for a reason beyond exposition.
    Maybe IW but I hated him in Endgame as he was a joke and it undid the great development he had receIved from Ragnarok and IW. I did not like the direction of his arc at all in Endgame
    Last edited by Havok83; 03-29-2020 at 10:42 PM.

Saoirse Ronan The Accuser CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Maybe IW but I hated him in Endgame as he was a joke and it undid the great development he had receIved from Ragnarok and IW. I did not like the direction of his arc at all in eNDGAME
    Same. I also didn't like how they turned Thanos into a more thuggish and less sophisticated villain in Endgame.
    I think an easy way to look at Thanos stories is that anything written by Jim Starlin, Ron Marz and Keith Giffen is the real Thanos while anything written by other authors should be dismissed as a Thanosi clone.

Ultimate Member

I thought Hemsworth did a good job with the dramatic in Infinity War and Endgame. Which are also the only Avengers films where it feels like Thor is there for a reason beyond exposition.
    You mean besides cleaning up Loki's mess?

Maybe IW but I hated him in Endgame as he was a joke and it undid the great development he had receIved from Ragnarok and IW. I did not like the direction of his arc at all in Endgame
    Yeah, he was practically a parody of himself in Endgame.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Yeah, he was practically a parody of himself in Endgame.
    2005 was the year the Simpsons died.

2014 was the year 616 Thor died.

2019 was the year MCU Thor died.
    I think an easy way to look at Thanos stories is that anything written by Jim Starlin, Ron Marz and Keith Giffen is the real Thanos while anything written by other authors should be dismissed as a Thanosi clone.

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    I don’t think it’s hate...it’s just the almost inevitable outcome of Marvels relentless introduction of more and more characters and the massive powering up of many of them.

As a Fantastic Four devotee I think Ben Grimm has lost out much more in the “comparative powers” stakes..he was a titan of the early days of Marvel, but I now dread to think how many other characters could easily overpower him.
    That issue could have been solved by having Thor wear his belt of strenght and magic gloves more often to keep up with other characters. Too bad no one remembers about his equipment.

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    I think you'll find that most people here are wanting the Thor from the Lee/Kirby or Simonson eras.
    Simonson’s approach with writing Thor has this way of generally making Thor funny and dramatic in a way that wasn’t quite parody, but wasn’t overly serious to the point that it became redundant either. He just somehow managed to find this nice middle ground that was easy to latch on the ride to, always keeping a desire to make a reasonably made entertaining comic at #1 which I think ultimately paid off.
    Last edited by Electricmastro; 04-04-2020 at 10:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Electricmastro View Post
    Simonson approach with writing Thor has this way of generally making Thor funny and dramatic in a way that wasn’t quite parody, but wasn’t overly serious to the point that it became redundant either. He just somehow managed to find this nice middle ground that was easy to latch on the ride to, always keeping a desire to make a reasonably made entertaining comic at #1 which I think ultimately paid off.
    Agree. Even when he had Thor turned into a frog by Loki, he still wrote the character as regal and determined, going out of his way to save a tribe of Frogs from a horde of rats and to regain his regular form.

I honestly feel that Thor's portrayal in Endgame gets more flack than it deserves. I'd have trimmed some of the jokes out, but I feel like the Asgard scenes are rich enough in pathos that on the whole I'm happy with it.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    You mean besides cleaning up Loki's mess?
    I was speaking about story structure. You could remove Thor from the first two Avengers films and all that would be lost would be exposition. Thor doesn't have an arc, he isn't important to the progression of the plot at all in the first one and only briefly in Ultron.

Besides filling out action sequences, the only thing that Thor does in those films is provide exposition. He doesn't even have any real emotional relationships with other Avengers. Whereas in IW and EG, he has genuine personal connection with others, Rocket especially.

I honestly feel that Thor's portrayal in Endgame gets more flack than it deserves. I'd have trimmed some of the jokes out, but I feel like the Asgard scenes are rich enough in pathos that on the whole I'm happy with it.

I was speaking about story structure. You could remove Thor from the first two Avengers films and all that would be lost would be exposition. Thor doesn't have an arc, he isn't important to the progression of the plot at all in the first one and only briefly in Ultron.

Besides filling out action sequences, the only thing that Thor does in those films is provide exposition. He doesn't even have any real emotional relationships with other Avengers. Whereas in IW and EG, he has genuine personal connection with others, Rocket especially.
    Thor ditched Asgard's throne to join a bunch of a-holes in space lol.

I'm dreading how Gunn will depict Thor and Adam Warlock in the third GOTG movie.
    Last edited by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree; 04-05-2020 at 08:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Yeah, Hemsworth was pretty much done with the character by Ragnarok. Now he gets to basically play Hercules .
    I think MCU Thor Is mostly based on the Thor from the Ultimate universe who is more brash and falstaffian than Classic Thor. So i would partly blame Mark Millar for the lackluster depiction of Thor and his mythos.

Quote Originally Posted by Doombot View Post
    I like a lot of your new villain ideas, but I disagree with the bit about Surtur. Aside from being the big bad in Simonson's run, he is a woefully underdeveloped character. Surtur and the entire realm Muspellheim have barely been touched except for the odd event motivator. But instead, Marvel has chosen to just make a female Surtur-lite with this Sindr character. Why develop Surtur more when you can just toss him in the bin and make a female knock-off? Sounds like another stellar Marvel idea. Also, while he may look like it at first glance, Surtur is not a demon or a devil and Muspellheim is not some realm of damnation filled with demons. I really wish Marvel writers would understand this. Surtur is the living embodiment of cosmic heat and flame. There is more potential for the character with this understanding in my opinion.

As for Jormungand, he/it is really not even interesting as an idea to me. I haven't been a fan of any version Marvel has done of the character. It's really just supposed to sleep until the end of time.
    How about bringing back the alien Death god Walker, the guy that needed a team up between Thor and Thanos to defeat? Thor has quite a few underused villains.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    I think he's also taken a hit because of Marvel's pumping up of Hulk. They used to be rivals, but lately Marvel has decided that Hulk has no rivals. Hulk is now unambiguously the most powerful character in Marvel to have his own comic. Which reduces Thor to just another guy jockeying for second place. Once a comics company decides you aren't in contention for top guy, you lose editorial protection from humiliation, and the result is a lot more severe in practice than it sounds like it would be on paper. There is a huuuuge jump in how guys jockeying for second place are treated in comics versus whoever is consider The Man.

I don't think he's hated so much as he's just another guy jockeying for second place, with all the surprisingly massive effects this has editorially in how a character is treated.
    Heh. I think Brevoort couldn't care less who is supposed to be the ''strongest'' as long as he keeps following Disney/Marvel sinergy and agenda.

Extraordinary Member

I found these videos interesting.
    Thor vs. Gladiator Epic Fight Explained : The Defeat & the Revenge

Extraordinary Member

Thor & Wonder Man vs. Gladiator Epic Fight Explained