Page 17 of 26 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718192021 ... LastLast

It seems like ever since Marvel got rid of Donald Blake they have had to come up with different ways to maim Thor. Without Donald Blake Thor is overpowered so writers have to try to find ways to make him less strong and they have been destroying his personality ever since.

Quote Originally Posted by Daska View Post
    It seems like ever since Marvel got rid of Donald Blake they have had to come up with different ways to maim Thor. Without Donald Blake Thor is overpowered so writers have to try to find ways to make him less strong and they have been destroying his personality ever since.
    Do people miss Donald Blake?

I dont. I would love to see Cates work on Thors character development exclusively.
    "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margret's not coming?"
    ----------------------
    "One of the maddening but beautiful things about comics is that you have to give characters a sense of change without changing them so much that they violate the essence of who they are." ~ Ann Nocenti, Chris Claremont's X-Men.

I personally miss Donald Blake. Though I understand why many Thor fans were happy to see Marvel get rid of him. I was just saying that back when Donald Blake was around Thor had a distinct weakness allowing writers to write Thor as powerful as they wanted. However, since Donald Blake has departed Thor has no weakness so writers have to come up with new ways of weakening him because he is too strong over wise. Which has pretty much just caused tons of negative stuff to happen to Thor.

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Generations: The Unworthy Thor & The Mighty Thor #1 (2017) is really making me wonder if Jason Aaron disliked Thor Odinson.

Most of the Marvel Generations books seems to focus on how great the new characters were and how much better they were than the old ones. Hawkeye seemed to be an exception to this.

Thor and Wolverine were the two worst.

I personally miss Donald Blake. Though I understand why many Thor fans were happy to see Marvel get rid of him. I was just saying that back when Donald Blake was around Thor had a distinct weakness allowing writers to write Thor as powerful as they wanted. However, since Donald Blake has departed Thor has no weakness so writers have to come up with new ways of weakening him because he is too strong over wise. Which has pretty much just caused tons of negative stuff to happen to Thor.
    Not just a weakness, but I think Blake added humanity to Thor. It gave him a strong link to the modern world that helped to ground the character. Having a grounded more down to earth look at Thor also worked to make the Godly aspects of the title so much stronger and impressive in comparison.

I also really liked Thor's brief time as Jake Olson. I thought that was a nice twist on the Donal Blake persona.

Quote Originally Posted by Electricmastro View Post
    Generations: The Unworthy Thor & The Mighty Thor #1 (2017) is really making me wonder if Jason Aaron disliked Thor Odinson.

I think so. I mean, he's painted Thor as a misogynist. Almost like he is inciting people to hate Odinson, so they will love Mary Sue.

Sorry, I meant Jane Foster.
    "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margret's not coming?"
    ----------------------
    "One of the maddening but beautiful things about comics is that you have to give characters a sense of change without changing them so much that they violate the essence of who they are." ~ Ann Nocenti, Chris Claremont's X-Men.

Sorry, I meant Jane Foster.
    No. You were right the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by Electricmastro View Post

Has Thor ever hooked up with Thor? (not Jane)

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    Most of the Marvel Generations books seems to focus on how great the new characters were and how much better they were than the old ones. Hawkeye seemed to be an exception to this.

Thor and Wolverine were the two worst.
    They even had dialogue to that effect. "I'm good, but 'insert new character' is better". I remember that from the Wolverine issue. I wonder what comics historians will eventually call the era of replacing the favorite characters and perpetually crapping on them?

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    Not just a weakness, but I think Blake added humanity to Thor. It gave him a strong link to the modern world that helped to ground the character. Having a grounded more down to earth look at Thor also worked to make the Godly aspects of the title so much stronger and impressive in comparison.

I also really liked Thor's brief time as Jake Olson. I thought that was a nice twist on the Donal Blake persona.
    I liked Jake Olson, too. Hard to believe Dan Jurgens' run was the last time I was really, really happy reading Thor each month. That seems forever ago. J. Michael Straczynski's run had things I liked and things I didn't, and Jason Aaron's run annoyed me so much I kept dropping it and finally gave up entirely.

Saoirse Ronan The Accuser CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mace11 View Post
    I found these videos interesting.
    Thor vs. Gladiator Epic Fight Explained : The Defeat & the Revenge
    I hate how Bannerincrediblehulk keeps lowballing Thor in his videos.
    I think an easy way to look at Thanos stories is that anything written by Jim Starlin, Ron Marz and Keith Giffen is the real Thanos while anything written by other authors should be dismissed as a Thanosi clone.

Quote Originally Posted by mace11 View Post
    Thor & Wonder Man vs. Gladiator Epic Fight Explained
    Only reason Eric struggled is because he was inexperienced compared to OG Thor. The idea that Thor can't defeat a Superman pastiche without the aid of sidekicks is rather silly. But what do you expect from a Hulk fanboy?
    I think an easy way to look at Thanos stories is that anything written by Jim Starlin, Ron Marz and Keith Giffen is the real Thanos while anything written by other authors should be dismissed as a Thanosi clone.

Quote Originally Posted by Daska View Post
    Thor not having a human host like an Ultraman bothers me less than modern writers depicting him as a condescending parody of a viking warrior.

...of the Black Priests Midnight_v's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree View Post
    I hate how Bannerincrediblehulk keeps lowballing Thor in his videos.
    Funny thing. I'm not sure where it came from but I have this idea, or recollection that ... Stan Lee or kirby or someone early on created thor to fight the hulk almost implicitly.

Like "Who could stand up to the strongest man in the world and I decided we'd need a god to do it" but I could easily be misremembering.

Yeah there were a few scenes that kinda show thor to be an ass directly in favor of jane, not just his usual boisterous arrogant self.

I also saw a cartoon avengers in which Thor was defeated by Black Panther.

Which I think it was written by Thorne, and if so well of course. . . but it made me go:

"Damn, what even IS it to be a God..." its like nothing sometimes less than nothing asgardians boy oh boy, they're weaker/less technologically advanced than who... wakandans', americans, atlanteans, vampires?
    but gods though... If Ares was ripped in half by the sentry, the implication being that thor could've got the same?

So I can't say if they're hated or if Thor is HATED, but they're definitely professional "L" collectors at this point.

I mean... as a point of notice I kinda feel like volstagg should be able to toe to with juggernaut but maybe off on they're powers

An average Asgardian male can lift 30 tons / Volstagg: While he is still stronger than most Asgardian males, he is no longer in his physical prime.

Which doesn't make sense at all, and really I think the greatest error in recent times was the "defeat" of those who sit above in shadow. That was really really off and wrong and needs to be retconned completely. It needs to work the way darkseid works. You can no more defeat the "true thor" or the "Conceptual thor" than you could wipe out the Concept of "fire". If anything it becomes that our thor gets more of the power from the multiverseal thor above in shadow.

This doesn't asnwer the question in the op but there's a lot of things going wrong with thor that isn't JUST the "commitment to diversity" that pushed thor behind his female counterpart for a while. That too but... yesterday I saw him get bodied by moonknight. In this years rip-off of the "midnight massacre" but I feel like carol just did the same thing. . .

They may not hate them but they have certainly made the core avengers Thor,Tony,Steve whipping boys here for a bit... and if they could take all they're popularity and foist it onto the character they're working on at any given moment I'm sure they would... I feel they tried. They just happened to fail.
    My priority is enjoying and supporting stories of timeless heroism and conflict.
    Everything else is irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by Icefanatic View Post
    They even had dialogue to that effect. "I'm good, but 'insert new character' is better". I remember that from the Wolverine issue. I wonder what comics historians will eventually call the era of replacing the favorite characters and perpetually crapping on them.
    "The money to burn era" An era that officially ended for Marvel Comics this month.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest