Page 18 of 26 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819202122 ... LastLast
    Saoirse Ronan The Accuser CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    "The money to burn era" An era that officially ended for Marvel Comics this month.
    What happened? Covid-19?
    I think an easy way to look at Thanos stories is that anything written by Jim Starlin, Ron Marz and Keith Giffen is the real Thanos while anything written by other authors should be dismissed as a Thanosi clone.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Electricmastro View Post
    Generations: The Unworthy Thor & The Mighty Thor #1 (2017) is really making me wonder if Jason Aaron disliked Thor Odinson.

I really don't feel this is in question

At least the godly aspect of him

He certainly put things into his character as weaknesses that were never there significantly before

I've said before and I remain convinced, most damaging writer (long term) of his character and mythos I've ever seen imo

He wrote Jane superbly, and I felt her character arc was excellent, but in almost all other ways I felt he's done far more harm than good

Not all of that damage started with him, but he certainly built on it repeatedly

Imo
    Last edited by kilderkin; 06-06-2020 at 01:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kilderkin View Post
    I really don't feel this is in any fought

He certainly put things into his character as weaknesses that were never there significantly before

I've said before and I remain convinced, most damaging writer (long term) of his character and mythos I've ever seen imo

He wrote Jane superbly, and I felt her character arc was excellent, but in almost all other ways I felt he's done far more harm than good

Not all of that damage started with him, but he certainly built on it repeatedly

Imo
    No arguments here.
    "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margret's not coming?"
    ----------------------
    "One of the maddening but beautiful things about comics is that you have to give characters a sense of change without changing them so much that they violate the essence of who they are." ~ Ann Nocenti, Chris Claremont's X-Men.

Quote Originally Posted by kilderkin View Post
    I really don't feel this is in question

Imo
    That Aaron Is a misotheist is common knowledge at this point.

Jane herself wasn't the problem but Aaron flanderizing the asgardians and changing the lore, turning Odin into a thuggish and dimwitted villain and turning Thor into the god of jobbers (and hammers) just to make her relevant was the problem.
    I think an easy way to look at Thanos stories is that anything written by Jim Starlin, Ron Marz and Keith Giffen is the real Thanos while anything written by other authors should be dismissed as a Thanosi clone.

I've thought in the past perhaps they need to give Thor some sort of human alter-ego a la Donald Blake or Jake Olson. But instead of rehashing a decades-old idea I would play up on Thor's birthright of being the child of Gaea to inject more of a connection to Earth. Like how Roy Thomas played that up in his "Ragnarok" and "Eternals Saga" stories. Where Thor questioned why he had such a strong connection to Earth, and realized he was a son of Gaea as well as Odin. Introduce some sort of spiritual bond between him, the Earth and humanity that's ethereal and similar to his connection with the elements of the Earth. Some have briefly touched upon Thor being able to hear prayers. That's a start. This way you could potentially give Thor an environmental angle as well as a humanistic angle. Trying to write Thor or the Asgardians as human beings with very a humanistic thought process is rather dumb. I would try my best to imagine if I were such a character how would I think? Feel? React or act? Would the problem of a mortal being with an 80-year lifespan really tear me up as I've lived like 30x as long up to this point (give or take a century or two)?

Bottom line being there are ways of writing ultra-powerful characters without having to resort to idiotic plot-devices to "make them relatable."

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by HaveAtThee View Post
    I've thought in the past perhaps they need to give Thor some sort of human alter-ego a la Donald Blake or Jake Olson. But instead of rehashing a decades-old idea I would play up on Thor's birthright of being the child of Gaea to inject more of a connection to Earth. Like how Roy Thomas played that up in his "Ragnarok" and "Eternals Saga" stories. Where Thor questioned why he had such a strong connection to Earth, and realized he was a son of Gaea as well as Odin. Introduce some sort of spiritual bond between him, the Earth and humanity that's ethereal and similar to his connection with the elements of the Earth. Some have briefly touched upon Thor being able to hear prayers. That's a start. This way you could potentially give Thor an environmental angle as well as a humanistic angle. Trying to write Thor or the Asgardians as human beings with very a humanistic thought process is rather dumb. I would try my best to imagine if I were such a character how would I think? Feel? React or act? Would the problem of a mortal being with an 80-year lifespan really tear me up as I've lived like 30x as long up to this point (give or take a century or two)?

Bottom line being there are ways of writing ultra-powerful characters without having to resort to idiotic plot-devices to "make them relatable."
    Yeah, technically most gods of Earth are, not surprising, Earthborn, and direct or indrect children of Elder Gods.
    Thor is a more direct descendant, I don't mind writing them like humans, they are a middle ground between mortals and more apathetic god like beings.
    Thor could use some more grander even philisophical themes than dumbed down to "normie" problems.

Quote Originally Posted by MaximoffTrash View Post
    Yeah, technically most gods of Earth are, not surprising, Earthborn, and direct or indrect children of Elder Gods.
    Thor is a more direct descendant, I don't mind writing them like humans, they are a middle ground between mortals and more apathetic god like beings.
    Thor could use some more grander even philisophical themes than dumbed down to "normie" problems.
    Gaea and Thor's relationship with Earth need more development, i agree.

Agreed. Thors relationship to Gaea has long needed to be expounded on. If a writer was being lazy, they could play up a hidden jealousy angle between Frigga and Gaea and a "twelve labors of Thor" kind of thing. Thors relationship to Gaea is an untold wealth of, "heres how to retconn bad showings of Thor and dangling plot lines" that were never addressed.
    ----------------------
    "One of the maddening but beautiful things about comics is that you have to give characters a sense of change without changing them so much that they violate the essence of who they are." ~ Ann Nocenti, Chris Claremont's X-Men.

Quote Originally Posted by Cronus View Post
    Agreed. Thors relationship to Gaea has long needed to be expounded on. If a writer was being lazy, they could play up a hidden jealousy angle between Frigga and Gaea and a "twelve labors of Thor" kind of thing. Thors relationship to Gaea is an untold wealth of, "heres how to retconn bad showings of Thor and dangling plot lines" that were never addressed.
    What if Thor's mead obsessed jobber phase under Aaron was caused by something happening to Gaeae that made Thor less powerful and intelligent? What if the One Below All Is behind it all?

Spectacular Member

Valkyrie #9
    https://imgur.com/a/YiiznBA

Avengers #33
    https://imgur.com/a/JKTvAzE

Jason Aaron seems to be intent on making Thor a punching bag.

Quote Originally Posted by Klaxton View Post
    Valkyrie #9
    https://imgur.com/a/YiiznBA

Avengers #33
    https://imgur.com/a/JKTvAzE

Jason Aaron seems to be intent on making Thor a punching bag.
    Nothing unusual here. Aaron HATES Thor. I don't know why, i don't know why.

It's just like ''Japan doesn't like Tien''.

Everyone in the Avengers gets a Toriyama Handjob except Thor.
    Last edited by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree; 06-09-2020 at 02:44 AM.

I suspect it's more a case of Aaron being ticked off with Thor's core fanbase than actually hating the character. That fact that Jane is the Thor Aaron's bonded to does mean that he's not going to want OG Thor to shine too bright in case he steals some of Jane's thunder, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    I suspect it's more a case of Aaron being ticked off with Thor's core fanbase than actually hating the character. That fact that Jane is the Thor Aaron's bonded to does mean that he's not going to want OG Thor to shine too bright in case he steals some of Jane's thunder, though.
    Considering how Aaron has addressed fan complaints in his run before, this would not surprise me.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Considering how Aaron has addressed fan complaints in his run before, this would not surprise me.
    Remember when Shulkie brutalized Ulik when he said that Thor is a birthname and not a superhero title?

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree View Post
    What if Thor's mead obsessed jobber phase under Aaron was caused by something happening to Gaeae that made Thor less powerful and intelligent? What if the One Below All Is behind it all?
    Even a collaboration between Gaea and TOBA? I seem to recall an older issue of Hulk where Gaea was pulling Hulks strings, so your idea would probably work perfectly.
    ----------------------