Page 20 of 26 FirstFirst ... 10161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Cronus View Post
    I hate to see that kind of thing. Funny to think that writers used to be more diplomatic and willing to listen to fans point of view.
    Well, it's easy for fans/creators look more diplomatic when all they had was magazine interviews and letter pages. The internet changed everything for fans and creators.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Well, it's easy for fans/creators look more diplomatic when all they had was magazine interviews and letter pages. The internet changed everything for fans and creators.
    So people are less diplomatic on the internet?
    "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margret's not coming?"
    ----------------------
    "One of the maddening but beautiful things about comics is that you have to give characters a sense of change without changing them so much that they violate the essence of who they are." ~ Ann Nocenti, Chris Claremont's X-Men.

Saoirse Ronan The Accuser CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree's Avatar

So people are less diplomatic on the internet?
    Everyone knows that the internet can appeal to your inner beast and turn you into a A-hole.
    I think an easy way to look at Thanos stories is that anything written by Jim Starlin, Ron Marz and Keith Giffen is the real Thanos while anything written by other authors should be dismissed as a Thanosi clone.

I feel like Thor is in good hands with Donny Cates. The book literally started with the death of the Justice League... this is going to be a great run if you guys can get over the past writers mischaracterizations.
    Last edited by Dustin Baker; 06-14-2020 at 09:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree View Post
    Everyone knows that the internet can appeal to your inner beast and turn you into a A-hole.
    I suppose so? I've seen fan mail that was pretty snarky at the end of comic books. I'm usually only snotty with folks on these forums when they're snotty, or trolling or some such.
    ----------------------
    "One of the maddening but beautiful things about comics is that you have to give characters a sense of change without changing them so much that they violate the essence of who they are." ~ Ann Nocenti, Chris Claremont's X-Men.

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin Baker View Post
    I feel like Thor is in good hands with Donny Cates. The book literally started with the death of the Justice League... this is going to be a great run if you guys can get over the past writers mischaracterizations.
    I noticed that as well. How did you interpret its meaning?
    ----------------------

Maybe it was Donnie Cates reference to Thors superiority to "gods" analogous to Superman, Green Lantern, etc. Which would be pretty cool.
    ----------------------

Saoirse Ronan The Accuser CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree's Avatar

Maybe it was Donnie Cates reference to Thors superiority to "gods" analogous to Superman, Green Lantern, etc. Which would be pretty cool.
    I don't like trolling DC fans tbh.
    I think an easy way to look at Thanos stories is that anything written by Jim Starlin, Ron Marz and Keith Giffen is the real Thanos while anything written by other authors should be dismissed as a Thanosi clone.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin Baker View Post
    I suppose that really depends on if the current writer characterised him differently consistently

It's early days but I still find he's being written as a ignoble jerk with other Asgardians, which defies some significant developments or showings of previous iterations

I live in hope however
    Last edited by kilderkin; 06-16-2020 at 07:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree View Post
    I don't like trolling DC fans tbh.
    You think Cates was trolling DC fans?

I suppose I interpreted it more as Cates' way of saying, "hey Thor fans, join me in celebrating Thor's superiority as a god over the (comparative) gods of the DC universe."

Or some such. I mean, I actually appreciated it a lot.

I have faith in Cates. I believe in the guy. Hes going to pull Thor out of the abyss and take him to new heights.
    ----------------------

Spectacular Member

Aaron struck again with Brood Thor. Its as if he wants the negative publicity associated with it.

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

I think Cates’ has actually stated we won’t really see where the run is headed until #7/8...this seems to be the big all guns blazing first ark, but the next will really tell us where we are going.

paulbee

I'm a long time Marvel comics reader and I just had to chime in my opinion.

It is difficult to not believe that Marvel Hates Thor considering what they have done to the character. To be more accurate, they either hate Thor or they have contempt for the Fans. They write stories they know are hated and don't seem to care about the feelings and expectations of the real fans who have stuck with Kirby/Lee/and Walt Simonson.

My biggest problem with Marvel and Thor is that they had to know that they were completely departing from the character and characterization of Thor totally upturning everything known by and to fans to where a true fan did not recognize the character as the one they have enjoyed for decades.

They retconned WHo thor was, They stripped him of his name, his dignity, his honour, and his purpose. Honestly it felt like watching a person you know become ravaged by dementia and turn into some pathetic and flawed shadow of himself.

They retconned who he was/is: Thor was his name by birth. He had a Father and he had a mother. His parents named him thor.
    They Retconned The story of Mjolnir. They Made Odin unable to lift the Hammer, something he had done for years in Marvel comics.

They took away his Name and gave it to his ex. Then theymade her a better "God" than he. They took the noble and heroic defender of Planet Earth, a role burned into his blood by virtue of his mother being Gaea.

They change Odin into a sexist bufoon, Thor into a drunk, and His honor and dignity was robbed of him.

As I cringed through the Dark Years of Jason Aaron's folly, I could not relate to all the forced and implausible changes made to the character, the only explanation I could think of was that The Comic book and the expectations of the fans were being sacrificed to force an unfortunate Feminst/SJW version into existence.

I am not sure what happened to Jason Aaron, but i hope it had something to do with a sharp decline in sales and polualrity of his work. This is what I think anyway.

Incredible Member Marvel Forever's Avatar

I was not aware that they hated Thor, but then I have not followed Thor in the comics for decades now.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvel Forever View Post
    I was not aware that they hated Thor, but then I have not followed Thor in the comics for decades now.
    I think “hate” is possibly the wrong word..but think it fair to say he’s been written strangely in large chunks of Aaron stories.

Put it this way. Imagine a Superman writer decided Superman’s costume was sentient and source of most of his powers, and wrote a mega long arc where Lois donned the costume and did everything better than Superman...I don’t think many Superman fans would love that story line.

Then throw in that Superman had cheated on Lois, and was a selfish jerk in his youth...

Aaron did the equivalent to Thor. For me the surprise is not that many fans disliked it...the surprise is that it sold pretty well.
    Last edited by JackDaw; 08-03-2020 at 10:47 PM.