Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 15212223242526 LastLast
    BANNED

This thread really needs to go, no one "hates" a fictional character.

BANNED

Thor is currently headlining a crossover into one of the most popular videogames of the decade, he's had 3 linewide events focused on him and his mythos this decade as well, plus he's the only original MCU character to get a fourth movie, if anything, Marvel sees the massive potential Thor has as a character and a franchise, sure he's been on a rough patch thanks to Aaron, but that's because we don't like the direction the story took, not because writers "hate" him. I do think Aaron has some animosity towards the character because Aaron himself is very petty and can't stand any criticism, but Marvel as a whole values Thor quite a lot, he's one of the staple A-listers now.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ichijinijisanji View Post
    Red Hulk has a unique power that allowed him to leech off energy from others. That's how he beat the watcher (way above thor) and Silver surfer (thors peer). (Of course now he can't use that power because it poses an extreme risk of him losing himself completely)

He had a good showing in empyre too which is recent.
    So he was able to leech Thor’s worthiness away?

Huh. I thought only Jason Aaron could do that.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wall-Crawler View Post
    This thread really needs to go, no one "hates" a fictional character.
    I hate Kylo Ren and Admiral Holdo.

So, no.

Thor is currently headlining a crossover into one of the most popular videogames of the decade, he's had 3 linewide events focused on him and his mythos this decade as well, plus he's the only original MCU character to get a fourth movie, if anything, Marvel sees the massive potential Thor has as a character and a franchise, sure he's been on a rough patch thanks to Aaron, but that's because we don't like the direction the story took, not because writers "hate" him. I do think Aaron has some animosity towards the character because Aaron himself is very petty and can't stand any criticism, but Marvel as a whole values Thor quite a lot, he's one of the staple A-listers now.
    Most of these points have nothing to do with the comics.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Saoirse Ronan The Accuser CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree's Avatar

I don't really care about Love & Thunder to be honest.

Invincible Jane Thor and fratboy Hercuthor don't appeal to me.
    I think an easy way to look at Thanos stories is that anything written by Jim Starlin, Ron Marz and Keith Giffen is the real Thanos while anything written by other authors should be dismissed as a Thanosi clone.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    So he was able to leech Thor’s worthiness away?

Huh. I thought only Jason Aaron could do that.
    Well no, i think it was called bioelectric energy or something, which allows him to match his opponents no matter how powerful. As far as Rulk lifting the hammer, it's been established that you can move it in space. He simply used loopholes like that to get his edge.

If you're thinking of someone who managed to copy thor's worthiness, look at awesome andy, who became noble bc of it in the she hulk run

Quote Originally Posted by Ichijinijisanji View Post
    He was unworthy for 6 years, yes, but he was still effective for most of them.
    Uncanny avengers, hickman's avengers, unworthy thor and so on.

It's mainly the 2017ish on did he really become more so ineffective, like with cho-hulk and onwards.

but people have been complaining about thor jobbing since a decade ago now

https://comicvine.gamespot.com/forum...592287/?page=1
    Jeph Loeb is in my book of grudges because of Red Hulk, Ultimatum and Sam Alexander. You can yell at me how Loeb is a saint that can't do no wrong because of his Batman and Superman stories all you want, but i still think his Marvel stuff Is garbage.
    I think an easy way to look at Thanos stories is that anything written by Jim Starlin, Ron Marz and Keith Giffen is the real Thanos while anything written by other authors should be dismissed as a Thanosi clone.

Honestly I don't think the Red Hulk/Thor thing was really that bad.

Red Hulk kicked Thors butt... then in the very next issue Thor came back and kicked Red Hulks butt. People overlook the fact that in the second fight, Thor had Red Hulk at his mercy in literally a hand full of panels.

YOu can knock Loebs writing, but he really didn't job Thor to Red Hulk. He arguably jobbed everyone else to Red Hulk... but Thor overall had a very respectable showing.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree View Post
    Jeph Loeb is in my book of grudges because of Red Hulk, Ultimatum and Sam Alexander. You can yell at me how Loeb is a saint that can't do no wrong because of his Batman and Superman stories all you want, but i still think his Marvel stuff Is garbage.
    and id agree with you, as a hulk fan, and as a x-men fan that it was't great
    but id cosign xpac here

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    There is a difference with having hurdles placed in front of a hero for them to navigate - those are good because they give the hero a chance to show WHY they are a hero. So yes, Captain America will lose his super-soldier serum etc... but in so doing he will demonstrate that he doesn't need ss-enhanced muscle/his shield/his youth to be a hero; in fact he will demonstrate just how great a hero he is by being deprived of them. And that's how it's supposed to work. It's certainly how it works for Cap, because he represents America and the writers work very hard to maintain, or indeed improve, his position and status. Thor, on the other hand, loses Mjolnir, and rather showing how great he is without it, we see the opposite. We see him sulk, we see him incompetent, we see him a jerk, and we see that others can be Thor, not just as well as he can, but actually better. This isn't just Thor, this happens to a number of heroes current Marvel writers have no fondness for. Cap is totally protected from long-term harm, though - it's just that they're beginning to sweat coming up with headline-grabbing situations to throw at him that no one has done before.
    And that's why i'm a bitter guy.

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    I think “hate” is possibly the wrong word..but think it fair to say he’s been written strangely in large chunks of Aaron stories.

Put it this way. Imagine a Superman writer decided Superman’s costume was sentient and source of most of his powers, and wrote a mega long arc where Lois donned the costume and did everything better than Superman...I don’t think many Superman fans would love that story line.

Then throw in that Superman had cheated on Lois, and was a selfish jerk in his youth...

Aaron did the equivalent to Thor. For me the surprise is not that many fans disliked it...the surprise is that it sold pretty well.
    Also throw in Pa Kent suddenly turning into a caricature of a misogynist and moonshine swilling redneck that threats his son Clark like garbage. XD

There is a difference with having hurdles placed in front of a hero for them to navigate - those are good because they give the hero a chance to show WHY they are a hero. So yes, Captain America will lose his super-soldier serum etc... but in so doing he will demonstrate that he doesn't need ss-enhanced muscle/his shield/his youth to be a hero; in fact he will demonstrate just how great a hero he is by being deprived of them. And that's how it's supposed to work. It's certainly how it works for Cap, because he represents America and the writers work very hard to maintain, or indeed improve, his position and status. Thor, on the other hand, loses Mjolnir, and rather showing how great he is without it, we see the opposite. We see him sulk, we see him incompetent, we see him a jerk, and we see that others can be Thor, not just as well as he can, but actually better. This isn't just Thor, this happens to a number of heroes current Marvel writers have no fondness for. Cap is totally protected from long-term harm, though - it's just that they're beginning to sweat coming up with headline-grabbing situations to throw at him that no one has done before.
    Couldn't have said it better myself. The damage will probably never go away if they keep writing Thor as a caricature of a viking warrior.

Quote Originally Posted by Doombot View Post
    I like a lot of your new villain ideas, but I disagree with the bit about Surtur. Aside from being the big bad in Simonson's run, he is a woefully underdeveloped character. Surtur and the entire realm Muspellheim have barely been touched except for the odd event motivator. But instead, Marvel has chosen to just make a female Surtur-lite with this Sindr character. Why develop Surtur more when you can just toss him in the bin and make a female knock-off? Sounds like another stellar Marvel idea. Also, while he may look like it at first glance, Surtur is not a demon or a devil and Muspellheim is not some realm of damnation filled with demons. I really wish Marvel writers would understand this. Surtur is the living embodiment of cosmic heat and flame. There is more potential for the character with this understanding in my opinion.

As for Jormungand, he/it is really not even interesting as an idea to me. I haven't been a fan of any version Marvel has done of the character. It's really just supposed to sleep until the end of time.
    You just reminded me of Ronan the Accuser being killed off and replaced by Tanalith, aka Rule 63 Ronan.

That's pretty much why I dislike modern comic writers. They just don't GET it. They just copy older popular stories and try to make it 'theirs'... without getting what made it great in the first place. Daredevil writers are the worst offenders to me. Everyone from Bendis to Netflix has tried to recapture 'Born Again' without 'Getting it'.

Everytime I turn around Daredevil is having his life destroyed, his girls killed, his career trashed, his identity exposed... and its' all just a continous beatdown to make Daredevil a dark, bitter and 'gritty'... But that's NEVER what Miller did. In Miller's world Daredevil lived in a dark gritty world where he kept getting kicked... but he ALWAYS ROSE UP ABOVE IT. Bad things happened to him, but he doesn't lose hope. He's NEVER the guy who goes out at night just to hurt bad people... he's the guy who stands between a drug dealer and the punisher just see he faces the courts...

You can screw with a hero all you want, but you gotta keep that heroic spirit there or the story is garbage.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    That's pretty much why I dislike modern comic writers. They just don't GET it. They just copy older popular stories and try to make it 'theirs'... without getting what made it great in the first place. Daredevil writers are the worst offenders to me. Everyone from Bendis to Netflix has tried to recapture 'Born Again' without 'Getting it'.

Everytime I turn around Daredevil is having his life destroyed, his girls killed, his career trashed, his identity exposed... and its' all just a continous beatdown to make Daredevil a dark, bitter and 'gritty'... But that's NEVER what Miller did. In Miller's world Daredevil lived in a dark gritty world where he kept getting kicked... but he ALWAYS ROSE UP ABOVE IT. Bad things happened to him, but he doesn't lose hope. He's NEVER the guy who goes out at night just to hurt bad people... he's the guy who stands between a drug dealer and the punisher just see he faces the courts...

You can screw with a hero all you want, but you gotta keep that heroic spirit there or the story is garbage.
    You have to give modern writers a break. These characters have been around for decades and the standard for their best story arcs occurred generations ago.