Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Default Do you think Punchline will catch on?

The upcoming new character Punchline is being hyped by DC as the next big character for the brand, being a replacement right-hand woman for Joker, taking over the role of Harley Quinn who has since deviated from the Joker so much that she simply isn't usable that way anymore and unlikely will be again. I guess they needed someone to fill that role now that it's vacant, hence why Tynion and co made her.

So it begs the question: Do you think Punchline will catch on?

I'm interested because I like her design, yet I kinda don't. I'm a guy, not ashamed to admit that I like sexy characters and she fits on that front. But one aspect that kind of seems weird is that she seems sane apart from the token clown motif, basically a stoic deadly ninja woman with some clown themes. Outside of that, it admittedly seems kind of odd that Joker just so happened to get another female enforcer to replace Harley, is there just a store for this sort of thing? Well, it's just funny to think about.

She does come off as a more stoic, deadly ninja assassin, no doubt to make her stand on her own and contrast Harley Quinn's sugary/bubbly personality. Just got to see how they execute it.

Anyways, I wonder if they're really going to push heavily for Punchline in both the comics, as a continuing force, and in other media where she appears in video games, animation, TV and whatnot. But also, for it to work, fans will have to like her and want to see more of her. If that part fails, it won't matter much. I remember how they tried to push Bluebird as a replacement to Cass and Steph, didn't work. So I hope she's well-written if they plan to make her a fixture and a legit character as opposed to someone forgotten.

Thoughts?

Incredible Member Gotham citizen's Avatar

I think she may become the ultimate Harley's nemesi, but I don't think she will never become iconic like Poison Ivy, Catwoman or the same Harley and it doesn't matter how hard they will try to push her, they can't decide what the readers will like and why. Look at the Marvel Comics: they are pushing Ms. Marvel and Captain Marvel since ten years about, but the sales of these title did never improved.

It all depends how long they stick her with the Joker. The Joker is one of the most popular comic characters of all time and will continue to be so, and Harley's success is mainly a result of her being attached to him. So if Punchline is connected to the Joker for the next 20 years then she will see some success as a result because she is occupying the space that is "Joker's girlfriend", which has seen success at least in Harley's case. Although that is just one example. So we don't know if "Joker's girlfriend" will be a recurring thing that can lead to success across multiple character the way the Robin or Flash identity have. Although those are very established brands too and Punchline isn't anything yet. Plus I guess Harley has the iconic BTAS to fall back on as well.

That being said I think a lot of her interest is in part due to speculators wanting to buy more copies than usual because they want to get the issue(s) with "Joker's new girlfriend". I don't know how much is real interest in her as a new character that can stick around for. I'd be surprised if she becomes very established Batman rogue the way Harley, Catwoman, or Ivy are because of how difficult it is to create new characters on that level now.

Astonishing Member

I’m a lousy judge of how well a character will do.

I loved Magpie when I saw her in the 80s Batman comic. I thought she had the potential to be a female Joker.

I also liked Dragonfly, Silken Spider and Tiger Moth from Poison Ivy’s debut comic. I would have loved if each had become a serious thorn in Batman’s side.

None of them really went anywhere.

Punchline doesn’t interest me…so she’ll probably be a breakout star.

I dont know but she's off to a good start with her debut issues selling out so we'll see. I hope so

Do you think she'll be a popular cosplay choice?

Honestly, I'm not sure. There's a lot up in the air right now and we don't really know her. Hearing websites ramp her up only reminds me of Joker's Daughter. Tynion ramping up Punchline as his potential breakout character in his last three newsletters and publicizing her appearances in Batman and Year of the Villain: Hell Arisen has only served to have the books sell out due to speculation rather than the quality of the story being written. And Tynion referring to her as "Harley Quinn's polar opposite", "she's essentially Joker's new girlfriend" and the ARTGERM variant is only getting speculator's attention, hoping for another Harley Quinn scenario. Time will tell, though I wasn't thrilled about the contexts of hearing Joker once again warring on Gotham.

Quote Originally Posted by WonderNight View Post
    I dont know but she's off to a good start with her debut issues selling out so we'll see. I hope so
    Yeah, but is that due to the quality of the story being told, or is it due to speculation?

Quote Originally Posted by Hybrid View Post
    I remember how they tried to push Bluebird as a replacement to Cass and Steph, didn't work. So I hope she's well-written if they plan to make her a fixture and a legit character as opposed to someone forgotten.
    I will champion Harper enthusiastically, she's my favourite character, but I recognize the problems associated with her writing. I think her issue was that Synder and Tynion rushed her out, and then didn't go back and fix things. As much as Batman and Robin Eternal was Harper's last foreseeable outing as Bluebird, I think the writers, and DC, got cold feet and double-backed trying to appease fans. If they took their time and eased her in, Bluebird would have been able to stand with either Batgirl.
    I'm currently reading Batman, Detective Comics, DCeased: Dead Planet, Dark Knights: Death Metal, Daredevil, Thor, Nightwing, The Rise of Ultraman and Red Hood and The Outlaws. I'm also trade-waiting the Hickman-era of X-Men comics.

Hard to say until after we get some stories with her in them under our belts. So far everything is hype and speculation. I'm really happy to see the enthusiasm for Tynion's Batman run so far though.
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-

⚡ The Scarlet Poster ⚡ Flash Fan #1's Avatar

I dig her design, but I'm gonna need to see more of her in upcoming issues to really see how I feel. It's just too early to tell.
    "If you're not moving, you're not living. No matter how bad it gets or how many hits you take, keep trying."

This statement right here is so true. How many Punchlines will we see at the cons along with the Harleys.

Quote Originally Posted by NastyCanasta View Post
    This statement right here is so true. How many Punchlines will we see at the cons along with the Harleys.
    She looks to.be easier then Harley

Quote Originally Posted by WonderNight View Post
    Speculators =/= General Audience.

Biggest rule of thumb I've learned in my years of comic reading and collecting: If someone tells you an issue or first appearance will be a big deal before it comes out, it won't be. 99% of comics that are actually worth something and retain their value are books/first appearances that had low print runs initially and gained popularity later.
    Last Read: Zatanna and the Ripper vol. 1

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Batman, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Beware the Planet of the Apes, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Green Arrow, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Superman '78: The Metal Curtain, Thundercats, Titans

Extraordinary Member

If she gets animated then yeah

There's already plenty of Punchline cosplayers on Reddit so she's off to a good start.

I don't know anything about her. The whole Jokers new Girlfriend seems gimmicky but who knows. If she's well written and interesting enough then why not.

i would have laughed if anyone had told me that Harley would go from sidekick to independent strong solo character and one of the juggernuts of dc.

You just never know.

Quote Originally Posted by scary harpy View Post
    I’m a lousy judge of how well a character will do.

I loved Magpie when I saw her in the 80s Batman comic. I thought she had the potential to be a female Joker.

Punchline doesn’t interest me…so she’ll probably be a breakout star.
    Same, and same.

The OP pic looks like a design for Psylocke Jim Lee might have considered back in the 90s.