Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Do you think Punchline will catch on?

The upcoming new character Punchline is being hyped by DC as the next big character for the brand, being a replacement right-hand woman for Joker, taking over the role of Harley Quinn who has since deviated from the Joker so much that she simply isn't usable that way anymore and unlikely will be again. I guess they needed someone to fill that role now that it's vacant, hence why Tynion and co made her.

So it begs the question: Do you think Punchline will catch on?

I'm interested because I like her design, yet I kinda don't. I'm a guy, not ashamed to admit that I like sexy characters and she fits on that front. But one aspect that kind of seems weird is that she seems sane apart from the token clown motif, basically a stoic deadly ninja woman with some clown themes. Outside of that, it admittedly seems kind of odd that Joker just so happened to get another female enforcer to replace Harley, is there just a store for this sort of thing? Well, it's just funny to think about.

She does come off as a more stoic, deadly ninja assassin, no doubt to make her stand on her own and contrast Harley Quinn's sugary/bubbly personality. Just got to see how they execute it.

Anyways, I wonder if they're really going to push heavily for Punchline in both the comics, as a continuing force, and in other media where she appears in video games, animation, TV and whatnot. But also, for it to work, fans will have to like her and want to see more of her. If that part fails, it won't matter much. I remember how they tried to push Bluebird as a replacement to Cass and Steph, didn't work. So I hope she's well-written if they plan to make her a fixture and a legit character as opposed to someone forgotten.

Thoughts?

Incredible Member Gotham citizen's Avatar

I think she may become the ultimate Harley's nemesi, but I don't think she will never become iconic like Poison Ivy, Catwoman or the same Harley and it doesn't matter how hard they will try to push her, they can't decide what the readers will like and why. Look at the Marvel Comics: they are pushing Ms. Marvel and Captain Marvel since ten years about, but the sales of these title did never improved.

It all depends how long they stick her with the Joker. The Joker is one of the most popular comic characters of all time and will continue to be so, and Harley's success is mainly a result of her being attached to him. So if Punchline is connected to the Joker for the next 20 years then she will see some success as a result because she is occupying the space that is "Joker's girlfriend", which has seen success at least in Harley's case. Although that is just one example. So we don't know if "Joker's girlfriend" will be a recurring thing that can lead to success across multiple character the way the Robin or Flash identity have. Although those are very established brands too and Punchline isn't anything yet. Plus I guess Harley has the iconic BTAS to fall back on as well.

That being said I think a lot of her interest is in part due to speculators wanting to buy more copies than usual because they want to get the issue(s) with "Joker's new girlfriend". I don't know how much is real interest in her as a new character that can stick around for. I'd be surprised if she becomes very established Batman rogue the way Harley, Catwoman, or Ivy are because of how difficult it is to create new characters on that level now.

Astonishing Member

I’m a lousy judge of how well a character will do.

I loved Magpie when I saw her in the 80s Batman comic. I thought she had the potential to be a female Joker.

I also liked Dragonfly, Silken Spider and Tiger Moth from Poison Ivy’s debut comic. I would have loved if each had become a serious thorn in Batman’s side.

None of them really went anywhere.

Punchline doesn’t interest me…so she’ll probably be a breakout star.

Quote Originally Posted by scary harpy View Post
    I’m a lousy judge of how well a character will do.

I loved Magpie when I saw her in the 80s Batman comic. I thought she had the potential to be a female Joker.

Punchline doesn’t interest me…so she’ll probably be a breakout star.
    Same, and same.

The OP pic looks like a design for Psylocke Jim Lee might have considered back in the 90s.

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    Same, and same.

The OP pic looks like a design for Psylocke Jim Lee might have considered back in the 90s.
    So it looks awesome.

Was she even in today’s issue?

Astonishing Member

Punchline seems okay so far. I think the hype outside the comics is a little off the rails, but within the books the introduction is going fine. I like her look and colors but I'm not sure her costume design is where I'd settle with it - Harley's OG costume came out so fully formed and iconic. So did Joker's, arguably. But I do like how lo-fi her look is
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

I like her appearance too and clown ninja appearance.

I hope that is a successful character.. I am tired to see Harley everywhere as if everyone loves her.

At least if she is lucky and sucessful as character.. The next Joker appearances will not Force harley to appear..
    Last edited by adrikito; 03-06-2020 at 01:25 PM.

Censorship Sucks

I think there will have to be a incredible story line for her to catch on for a considerable amount of time. If the simply try to copy the magic of Harley but just naming her "the joker's girlfriend" and don't put the work in to make her a interesting character, then no, she will fade into obscurity after some time.

Punchline is Harley Quinn for the weeb crowd.

Astonishing Member

Harley worked by starting off in a cartoon as she is, they didn't broadcast her as "Joker's girlfriend" and she wasn't filling a niche held by another character. That's going to hurt Punchline if DC looks like they're more interested in marketing than making an interesting character.

Amazing Member

I am surprised they didn't conjure up another Harley in the more classic mold to tie in to the 3 Jokers storyline. Guess they didn't want to have their cake and eat it too!

Astonishing Member

I think ... Punchline "could" catch on. She's got an uphill battle. She's never going to not be an also-ran ... also-ran? ... I think it's natural that Joker would eventually calm the hell down and require a new moll ... a rebound moll after his and Harley's break-up finally has some ... serious finality. I wonder if his insane psycho killer killing spree has been so ... EXTRA ... the last decade or more ... because you know, the break-up. That'd be weird.

It's really going to depend on execution and the storyline. I think the trope of throwing her at Harley is obvious and overt and requires either playing out exactly how you'd expect or a clever subversion, and because of that I think they probably ought to play it straight. I also think there's merit to getting it right out of the way right up front and not trying to build up the hype for it and disappoint everyone. It's not that complex of a story. We've all met an old ex's new partner and been a few ways about it. That aspect is fairly relatable, which fits into Tynion's run so far, where the characters from the rogues to the assassins all feel like co-workers in a very weird job that all have friendships and relationships that have improved or dissolved over the years ... like real people.

I think her costume could use a little refinement. But so far there's no huge red flags conceptually. She's not a little sewer girl wearing Joker's cut-off face or anything. And we haven't got a solid read on her personality yet, just that she takes her job seriously.e

Now if they'd stop mistaking Mercy Graves for every other low-key wallflower secretary character, that'd be nice. I don't care if they keep Mercy appearing to be Asian, but she should still be butch, yo!
    Last edited by K. Jones; 03-23-2020 at 12:43 AM.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Astonishing Member

Seems like a crappy attempt at creating another Harley Quinn. I know Harely is popular, but I've had my fill of Joker rip offs.

Interesting. Thanks for the information.