Amazing Member

Default Red Hood: Outlaw #48 Preview / Discussion (Spoilers)

Red Hood: Outlaw #48

Source: https://aiptcomics.com/2020/08/21/dc...ood-outlaw-48/

Summary: In the aftermath of the war between Batman and The Joker, Jason Todd has a few decisions to make. Does Gotham City-or the world at large-really need the Red Hood? If Jason contemplates retiring the Red Hood mask altogether, what does that mean for Artemis and Bizarro? Can the Outlaws continue to exist without their leader? A family reunion with Ric Grayson doesn’t go as planned as he brought along his new friend: Punchline!
    Out of all the Robins, Jason Todd is my favourite

Astonishing Member Dark_Tzitzimine's Avatar

Man, the reaction to Roy was an unexpected gut punch, it sucks we have this tie-in messing with the Untitled story.

Don't Bully a Hurt Dragon Sergard's Avatar

I like the rip on the first page although I don't think that this indicates if the tie-in takes place before or after the current main story. (Personally, I'd prefer after because this would mean that Artemis and Bizarro are alive and fine.)

The art looks nice. Another bike design that can be added to Jason's bike collection.

That Pizza Fish logo though ...

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

I honestly appreciate that they didn’t even try to somehow connect the current arc to the Joker War.

Maybe they’ll exclude issue 48 from this arc’s trade entirely and put in the one after it.
    Last edited by Arsenal; 08-22-2020 at 07:23 AM.

Say whatever you want about Lobdell, the man has his fatal flaws and whatsnot. But... Asdafds.
    That page being ripped of the original storyline to show something like "And now, for something entirely different" is making me tearing a few laughtingh tears. That's breaking the fourth wall with some style and sense of humour.

I guess we will see the long awaited reunion and tearful scene (for different reasons) next month. A pity. Oh, well. I guess, at least, we can get some nice stand alone action in Gotham in this issue. And I don't see moving this issue out of the trade, frankly.

Booth's art is alright, but personal (reminds me of the late 90's, honestly). It usually depends on how the colourist handles it, it can look nice and dynamic, or it can be, eh, not good looking and hard to follow. With time, he's also gotten better at laying out pages, imho. Which, for me, was a thing that didn't help me into "reading" his art sometimes (what with my poor eyesight and all that).
    Last edited by Zaresh; 08-22-2020 at 09:43 AM.

Astonishing Member Dark_Tzitzimine's Avatar

Not alot to say of this issue is 100% filler.

It doesn't really add anything substantial to Joker War, and contradicts everything going with the main plot, going so far to the destruction of Ma Gunn's house when last time we saw it had turned into a proper school for Generation Outlaw. The best I can say is how sets the stage for the final issue of Lobdell's tenure by bringing Duela back.

Booth was amazingly solid and the brief memory of Jason and Bruce was pure gold, I really miss when writers actually remembered that Bruce is human and wrote him accordingly.

Don't Bully a Hurt Dragon Sergard's Avatar

Well, now we know what happened to the original building of "Ma Gunn's school for wayward boys". So this means that the building in New York is probably a new house or the house from the bottle in which Smartzarro had put Ma Gunn and that has somehow been increased in size later on.

I like the flashback scene. Even though it probably kills the headcanon of many fanfic writers that Bruce is a complete disaster in the kitchen. Here's the proof that Bruce is able to create a very delicious looking sandwich - and I don't think that Alfred's famous cucumber sandwhich has even the tiniest of chance to compete against that.

And of course, the irony of Jason wearing a "Batman Sux" T-shirt is as obvious as it can possibly be.

The artwork is great. Good dynamic paneling. Surprisingly fewer panels with Dick and Punchline than I had expected - which is a good thing. I didn't expect Duela, not sure if it's a good thing but at least the solicitation for RH:O #50 makes a little more sense now.

And surprise, surprise: We now know why Jason's mask in Nightwing #73 is broken.

But altogether, I would definitely have preferred the main story over this tie-in.

It wasn't terrible, but a jarring break in the main story of the series thus far, no doubt. It was cool to see Jason slice through the Joker gang like a hot knife through butter until he saw Duela getting pummeled. Even then, he held out until things went boom.

I do wonder though, if they might make Duela into Scarlet from pre-New52. Or a version of her, at least.

I don't read Red Hood, just picked it up for the tie-in. I thought it was a fun action romp. Great art by Booth, I alwasy considered him to be one of the better 90's style guys.
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-

Can I state how much I loved this weeks issue of Red Hood? It's been a long time since I enjoyed a RH issue this good. The action, art, coloring and teasing of the current and final arc. Oh man, whether you love or hate Lobdell you gotta give him credit at how he is able to set-up in his stories. Jason arranging his old home to blow up, that would eventually be his downfall and then leading to a scene that references Death In The Family after failing to save Duala was mind blowing. Symbolic as well.

I feel like my money was well spent on this. Issue 48 is one of Lobdell's finest work in a long time!
    "I swear to god, if I get banned..."

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sergard View Post
    Well, now we know what happened to the original building of "Ma Gunn's school for wayward boys". So this means that the building in New York is probably a new house or the house from the bottle in which Smartzarro had put Ma Gunn and that has somehow been increased in size later on.

I like the flashback scene. Even though it probably kills the headcanon of many fanfic writers that Bruce is a complete disaster in the kitchen. Here's the proof that Bruce is able to create a very delicious looking sandwich - and I don't think that Alfred's famous cucumber sandwhich has even the tiniest of chance to compete against that.

And of course, the irony of Jason wearing a "Batman Sux" T-shirt is as obvious as it can possibly be.

The artwork is great. Good dynamic paneling. Surprisingly fewer panels with Dick and Punchline than I had expected - which is a good thing. I didn't expect Duela, not sure if it's a good thing but at least the solicitation for RH:O #50 makes a little more sense now.

And surprise, surprise: We now know why Jason's mask in Nightwing #73 is broken.

But altogether, I would definitely have preferred the main story over this tie-in.
    Bruce being a complete disaster in the kitchen is canon during the Tim era. He screwed up the sandwich he made for Tim when Alfred's taking a vacation.

Didn't Jason realize he was fighting Dick all the time?

Nightwing #73 shows him with the broken mask, but Dick appears and it doesn't seem Jason know it was him he was fighting before.

About the issue, I don't read RH (I'm reading for the tie-in) but I liked the story, especially the art, really good stuff. It was great to see a homage to DITF and some flashback scenes from his time with Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrestler View Post

Nightwing #73 shows him with the broken mask, but Dick appears and it doesn't seem Jason know it was him he was fighting before.

About the issue, I don't read RH (I'm reading for the tie-in) but I liked the story, especially the art, really good stuff. It was great to see a homage to DITF and some flashback scenes from his time with Bruce.
    Try the current book since the start. I think you may like it :3.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrestler View Post

Like what Zaresh said; try Rebirth Red Hood and the Outlaws from the first issue. Its a good jumping on point, and the trio that makes it up is honestly really great.

Thanks for the advice, I'll give it a try.