Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

I think it's still too soon to say, especially when we haven't gotten a good gauge of her character yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    If she gets animated then yeah
    This is probably accurate. If media adaptions start to utilize her as a viable alternative to just sticking Harley with Joker again, which we still see happen even post-breakup, then she will probably become a truly viable character.

No clue. These things are near impossible to predict. But I hope so if only because DC and Batman will always need new popular blood from time to time to keep momentum going. Plus characters usually get popular for a reason, such as good stories, and I'm all for good stories. But all I have to go on is wild guessing.

She does have a few things in her favor however:
    1. She's got a cool and sexy visual
    2. She's associated with the Joker
    3. I want to see her and Harley fight - in the comics, in an animated movie, in Harley's cartoon series, I want to see it

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    If she gets animated then yeah
    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think it's still too soon to say, especially when we haven't gotten a good gauge of her character yet.

This is probably accurate. If media adaptions start to utilize her as a viable alternative to just sticking Harley with Joker again, which we still see happen even post-breakup, then she will probably become a truly viable character.
    Well, there is a new Batman move with Pattinson...WB might do a new Batman cartoon to promote it. Punchline could appear in that maybe.

Eh, hard to say. Way too soon to think she's long term. She could last for a few arcs, and then end up the way most of Joker's henchmen do. Or she could gain some longevity, but would need to be shown in her role with Harley somehow involved in the story, else you face a lot of backlash by Harley lovers.

Incredible Member

No.

As pointed above, maybe a few stories. Maybe just only one story.

But "cold" and "deadly" does not mean memorable longetivity, as anyone cookie-cutter could be portrayed as such.

She needs personality.

A true long-lasting character must have some personality, preferably some kind of quirkiness, even some insecurities, to give readers some semblance of "feeling" with them, even if they are criminals and murderers.

Because right now, all I see her in is in Joker's "No longer playing games" persona and phase. What would happen when Joker reverts back to playing games of wits with Batman, complete with joy buzzer and chattering teeth?
    Last edited by ngroove; 03-04-2020 at 01:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by scary harpy View Post
    Well, there is a new Batman move with Pattinson...WB might do a new Batman cartoon to promote it. Punchline could appear in that maybe.
    This made me realize it's been a while since the last proper Batman cartoon.
    Quote Originally Posted by ngroove View Post
    No.

But "cold" and "deadly" does not mean memorable longetivity, as anyone cookie-cutter could be portrayed as such.

She needs personality.

A true long-lasting character must have some personality, preferably some kind of quirkiness, even some insecurities, to give readers some semblance of "feeling" with them, even if they are criminals and murderers.

Because right now, all I see her in is in Joker's "No longer playing games" persona and phase. What would happen when Joker reverts back to playing games of wits with Batman, complete with joy buzzer and chattering teeth?
    I mean, she works with Joker, so I have to assume there's at least some levity in her...or he'd get bored pretty quick.

I think she could catch on if they make her incredibly different to Harley in terms of personality and dynamics with The Joker. For instance, could this woman be able to make The Joker respect her, view her as more of his equal than Harley and not mistreat her as much? If yes, then she could provide something interesting to fans that they haven't seen before.

I don't know anything about her. The whole Jokers new Girlfriend seems gimmicky but who knows.
    True.

For instance, could this woman be able to make The Joker respect her, view her as more of his equal than Harley and not mistreat her as much? If yes, then she could provide something interesting to fans that they haven't seen before.
    Not my thing, but I've never been into villains (I'm well aware many adore them). Certainly there's a not-insubstantial amount of shippy fic with the Joker. Whether it woobies him, I can't say, since I don't read it.

For me, the mistreatment of Harley was an important aspect of the character back in the B:TAS days. Oh, she's morphed out of the role now (back then, she was someone who you thought could be saved, was a victim of the Joker, etc.). She was another testament to his cruelty, and someone you could feel pity for (though I admit that view really couldn't last long-term, as is something I've discussed with other villains). I'm not really keen on a Joker that respects anyone as his equal, though admittedly that could be because certain portrayals of him stick with me more than others. But Punchline's success isn't necessarily have to be dependent on how people perceive the Joker. I do agree retelling the same tale would be a losing proposition for everyone except the maybe Joker (could work in terms of highlighting his nature and the interchangeability of the women to him, but still repetitive).

Statistics would say no.

Creating lasting characters is hard, and require more than a bit of luck. I don't see anything in her costume or imagery that says who she is or feels particularly unique. But the most important piece is the stories that are told with and about her.

Now, DC can force popularity, and make it work to some degree, but it will always be brittle.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    Statistics would say no.

Creating lasting characters is hard, and require more than a bit of luck. I don't see anything in her costume or imagery that says who she is or feels particularly unique. But the most important piece is the stories that are told with and about her.

Now, DC can force popularity, and make it work to some degree, but it will always be brittle.
    She looks like a flashy Asian Assassin-type, though admittedly those are kind of a dime-a-dozen.

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    Same, and same.

The OP pic looks like a design for Psylocke Jim Lee might have considered back in the 90s.
    So it looks awesome.

Was she even in today’s issue?

Quote Originally Posted by ngroove View Post
    No.

She needs personality.

I think she's been in all of one issue so far maybe? Way too early to say she has no personality and only has cold and deadly going for her. I mean, we just really have her character design to go off of, not the best indicator of personality.

That is true, you can't judge a character based on their appearance in all of one issue. Also, I do think it's interesting that she's portrayed as differently as she is so far. They didn't try to make "Harley 2.0", but someone to contrast her. I've seen the comparison that if anything she's more like Mercy Graves than Harley, just happens to fill the role she did.

I do see that there's an easy way for her to break out. Basically, Harley is a separate character from the Joker and can't be just his right-hand, and any adaptation nowadays is gonna have that arc. When that happens, it'd be easy to introduce Punchline to fill that role and be both an antagonist to Batman, and a foil to Harley. In fact, I bet Tynion even imagined that kind of scenario playing out when he created her.

I mean, it's possible, but the odds are really damn long. Even if the character is well made, that doesn't mean much. Lots of characters are well made and they never last.

I also think it'll be a lot harder to pull off "Joker's girlfriend" in the current climate. Twenty years ago, things were different and Harley's plight and struggles in that relationship were viewed differently than they are today. Harley works as a survivor of domestic violence, that's a hot button issue, but it's gonna be a lot harder to pull of an active girlfriend to the Joker in the era of #metoo.

Though, if Punchline and her story somehow get to spit in the eye of all the incels who seem to be looking at Joker like their personal hero, it'll be worth it.

It seems weird to me too. Joker never struck me as the 'dating' type. Harley was a gag, a willing henchman he could string along emotionally. But the joke's been told, so what's Punchline got to offer?

I dunno. We'll see. But I never bet on a new character enduring. Even Naomi, without doubt the best new character the 2010's gave us, is statistically unlikely to last once Bendis is done with her, and even less likely to become a real player.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

It's way too early to tell if the character will have any staying power. Besides, even if the character doesn't do well in the comics, that still doesn't mean that she won't become a breakout character anyways (looking at you, Mr. Freeze).

Quote Originally Posted by Gotham citizen View Post
    Look at the Marvel Comics: they are pushing Ms. Marvel and Captain Marvel since ten years about, but the sales of these title did never improved.
    I'm thinking the MCU is what's going to make Carol Danvers a superstar, if she gets there (and she's certainly has a good start on that).
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)