Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by adrikito View Post
    I like this cover with Punchline:

Attachment 94167
    Is that intentionally aping the Alex Ross art ?

One thing I DON'T want is Harley fighting Punchline. Itll look too much like a catfight over "her man" which Joker isnt. Now if Punchline wants to attack Harley however because she's "taking out the trash" then thats fine.

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    I saw WB Japan promo poster for the show on twitter.

It's a stage show by the way and all the dates advertised were for Japan.
    So it's like those Ultraman stage shows they do for little kids and nothing we Western fans are likely to catch then?
    Shame, I'd love more of that verse.
    Got a link to that promo poster? If it's a stage show that means it's got to be live action right? So there's got to be a real Batsuit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    I'm tired of the Joker anyway, so I certainly don't want more Joker or Joker-adjacent stories.
    That's okay, just as long as you know you can not read those stories. Too many fans think they're tired of something then there shouldn't be any more of those kinds of stories. Some of us still want to read about Batman fighting Joker, so I hope such stories and characters continue, but I also hope there's plenty of non-Joker stories for others to read. Something for everybody rather than letting characters collect dust.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post

That's okay, just as long as you know you can not read those stories. Too many fans think they're tired of something then there shouldn't be any more of those kinds of stories. Some of us still want to read about Batman fighting Joker, so I hope such stories and characters continue, but I also hope there's plenty of non-Joker stories for others to read. Something for everybody rather than letting characters collect dust.
    Yes, I can not read these other stories - but lets not pretend there will be as many non-Joker stories as their otherwise would be. It's gotten even worse lately with the Batman Who Laughs, who is definitely Joker-adjacent to me. Spreads to other characters' books etc. Major crossover storylines for other Batfamily members aren't uncommon either. It gets frustrating when something you don't like seems to be everywhere (no doubt and exaggeration, but it feels that way) and infiltrating every story. The Joker is just a character I can't stand anymore - too big and too gross too often. I liked him fine when he was more sparingly used and killed only a few a time and was less gross and less "shock factor" in his use. It's been a while.

Yes, I can not read these other stories
    Why can't you?

- but lets not pretend there will be as many non-Joker stories as their otherwise would be. It's gotten even worse lately with the Batman Who Laughs, who is definitely Joker-adjacent to me. Spreads to other characters' books etc. Major crossover storylines for other Batfamily members aren't uncommon either. It gets frustrating when something you don't like seems to be everywhere (no doubt and exaggeration, but it feels that way) and infiltrating every story. The Joker is just a character I can't stand anymore - too big and too gross too often. I liked him fine when he was more sparingly used and killed only a few a time and was less gross and less "shock factor" in his use. It's been a while.
    As you said, that's no doubt exaggeration. Of all the Batman titles, Batfamily titles, miniseries, one shots, OGNs, Black Label and kids/YA stuff, there's going to be some titles that just doesn't focus on the Joker. You may have to stop religiously following the monthly ongoings, and I know how some fans feel about that, but it's really not a big thing. Never mind old titles and back issues you may have missed and haven't gotten around to yet.

One of the upcoming Bat books I'm planning on getting is Batman Overdrive, an origin story starring a teenage Bruce building the Batmobile, that's a brand new take I've never seen before, and I'm doubtful Joker will be a part of it. There's also an Oracle book, Cass Cain Batgirl book, and a Dick Grayson book in the YA line. And there's that comic adaptation of that one novel, Nightwalker, which seems to not have Joker in it.

I'm also probably going to nab the fairly recent Kings of Fear trade, which I think mostly has Scarecrow as the villain?

There might be a Black Label book without the Joker maybe, not sure. Anyways, there's plenty of options. Just requires some research into what recent and upcoming titles catch your interest. This is the Golden Age of options for a Batfan, you don't need to go without just because all the monthlies are going into some big Joker event.

Why can't you?
    I'm agreeing with you that I have the ability to skip the stories.

As you said, that's no doubt exaggeration. Of all the Batman titles, Batfamily titles, miniseries, one shots, OGNs, Black Label and kids/YA stuff, there's going to be some titles that just doesn't focus on the Joker. You may have to stop religiously following the monthly ongoings, and I know how some fans feel about that, but it's really not a big thing. Never mind old titles and back issues you may have missed and haven't gotten around to yet.
    I dislike black label (tends to be more grim/gritty). While I enjoy some OGNs and YAs in theory, continuity it what I'm all about. Without that, it's a casual thing with no growth, no progression. I mean, sure a story I like every once in a while, but no reason to care long-term, since I don't get to see the same character continue.

And if the Joker family grows like the Batfam (I'm talking long-term to 5+ members), it's likely going to take over 1/3rd (or at least a 1/5) of all in continuity stories. That's a lot of material that's likely to be negative to me if they are reminiscent of the more modern version of the Joker. Worse yet, they may decided that every Batfam member needs their own Joker. Loathe the idea. I'm already very peeved at all the Supers having Luthors. They keep losing their individuality to be made more Clark-like and get aspects of Clark's life and Clark-derivative enemies, and I don't want to see that happen further with the Bats.

I'm agreeing with you that I have the ability to skip the stories.

I dislike black label (tends to be more grim/gritty). While I enjoy some OGNs and YAs in theory, continuity it what I'm all about. Without that, it's a casual thing with no growth, no progression. I mean, sure a story I like every once in a while, but no reason to care long-term, since I don't get to see the same character continue.

And if the Joker family grows like the Batfam (I'm talking long-term to 5+ members), it's likely going to take over 1/3rd (or at least a 1/5) of all in continuity stories. That's a lot of material that's likely to be negative to me if they are reminiscent of the more modern version of the Joker. Worse yet, they may decided that every Batfam member needs their own Joker. Loathe the idea. I'm already very peeved at all the Supers having Luthors. They keep losing their individuality to be made more Clark-like and get aspects of Clark's life and Clark-derivative enemies, and I don't want to see that happen further with the Bats.
    The Joker family thing is just a theory and unlikely - another writer would have Joker kill them. And not all Black Label books are like that, Harleen was very good. As for refusing to read stories outside continuity, that's your choice, but if current continuity isn't providing stories you like I'd definitely try and step away from continuity for a while. What does it hurt to take a year off from continuity while the big Joker story plays out?

Besides, all these BL and YA titles are new, no telling which ones will get sequels and start building their own continuity. White Knight has Curse of the White Knight going, the guy behind Harleen has plans for an Ivy one off and sequels related to Harleen, I saw on Amazon that there's a new Beast Boy book by the person who wrote the Raven one (not a Bat book, but illustrates the point). So even if you're a continuity junkie doesn't mean you can't follow more than one continuity.

Censorship Sucks

I think there will have to be a incredible story line for her to catch on for a considerable amount of time. If the simply try to copy the magic of Harley but just naming her "the joker's girlfriend" and don't put the work in to make her a interesting character, then no, she will fade into obscurity after some time.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Caldwell View Post
    I think there will have to be a incredible story line for her to catch on for a considerable amount of time. If the simply try to copy the magic of Harley but just naming her "the joker's girlfriend" and don't put the work in to make her a interesting character, then no, she will fade into obscurity after some time.
    It also depends on if writers love her or not, they do the. She will be in our face all the time

Time will tell if she’s more than a try hard to be edgy, cookie cutter femme fatale. Frankly the way her creators have described her so far, she sounds to be exactly that.

I agree with Beaubier. To me, this reads just like a sexy female Victor Zsasz. I'm sure the concept will pickle some fans, but I doubt they will be that many.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

I kind of hope so. Instead of the "LOL so random" humour that has come to define Harley's runs post-Joker, I think Punchline should have come about sooner as a way of talking about the topic of abuse victims who have gotten away from their abuser. Maybe Harley would have tried to get the Joker's new "Girlfriend" to see how awful the Joker is and understand that she was just like her.

But instead, we got a talking Beaver and an attempt to make Harley like Deadpool. What a waste.
    Last edited by KC; 03-13-2020 at 06:06 PM.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

I already like her more compared to Harley because she seems to be a more serious threat, but that's just from a silent image. I don't know if she'll talk a lot (please don't). I hope she'll bring in the silent creepy clown, the creepy mime, because all of Joker's relation, himself, Harley and Duella are already loud psychos. I need my mime.

and then... and then... she can be Cass Cain's villain

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    So it's like those Ultraman stage shows they do for little kids and nothing we Western fans are likely to catch then?
    Shame, I'd love more of that verse.
    Got a link to that promo poster? If it's a stage show that means it's got to be live action right? So there's got to be a real Batsuit.
    Yep it is live action.
    Certain there will be a real Batsuit since they usually do pretty accurate costumes for the shows I've seen [Tiger and Bunny for example]

I believe these are better [in Quality] Higher budget than the stage shows for kids and nope it's unlikely western audiences will be able to see it unless someone uploads a fan video to Youtube or Crunchy Roll which also broke the news airs it.

https://twitter.com/batmanninja2018

https://soranews24.com/2020/02/21/ba...-joker-daimyo/
    Last edited by dietrich; 03-13-2020 at 10:35 PM.

Bluebird

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    It also depends on if writers love her or not, they do the. She will be in our face all the time
    If any writers other than JTIV don’t share a willingness to commit to the character, she’s probably gonna end up as another Bluebird (character pushed by their creator, but largely ignored by everyone else).

Quote Originally Posted by Stars & Stripes View Post
    If any writers other than JTIV don’t share a willingness to commit to the character, she’s probably gonna end up as another Bluebird (character pushed by their creator, but largely ignored by everyone else).
    Granted, depending on the impact of 5G, she might not have much of a shelf-life if Joker War is her only major story.