Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    All-New Member CarinaComics's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Location
    Ottawa, ON
    Posts
    3

    Question Kirby and his influence on TMNT

    I was hoping I could get some help! I'm currently doing a research paper on the artistic style of Jack Kirby and his influences on other comic book artists. I was specifically wondering about his influence on the TMNT comics and its creators Laird and Eastman. If you have any information that could help me out I would honestly really appreciate it. I'm also curious about the connection between Daredevil and TMNT's origin story and the artistic similarities between the two comics. Thanks for your help!

  2. #2
    Extraordinary Member Holt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    7,330

    Default

    It's not the comics, but I remember there was an episode of the 2003 TV show that was a tribute to Jack Kirby. One of the turtles befriends a struggling comic book artist named Kirby.
    https://turtlepedia.fandom.com/wiki/The_King

    Good luck with your project!

  3. #3
    Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Latverian Embassy
    Posts
    14,894

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CarinaComics View Post
    I was hoping I could get some help! I'm currently doing a research paper on the artistic style of Jack Kirby and his influences on other comic book artists. I was specifically wondering about his influence on the TMNT comics and its creators Laird and Eastman. If you have any information that could help me out I would honestly really appreciate it. I'm also curious about the connection between Daredevil and TMNT's origin story and the artistic similarities between the two comics. Thanks for your help!
    I do know that Eastman did a forward on a book called The Art of Jack Kirby, which was published back in 1992. It only had an original print run of 1000 copies






  4. #4
    Mighty Member Riv86672's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    1,723

    Default

    Wow, that was really good, thank for sharing.

  5. #5
    Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Latverian Embassy
    Posts
    14,894

    Default

    You're welcome. This book had a soft cover edition too You can probably find copies of that on Amazon. I have the hardcover limited printing.

  6. #6
    All-New Member CarinaComics's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Location
    Ottawa, ON
    Posts
    3

    Default

    Thank you so much! I'll definitely give it a watch!

  7. #7
    All-New Member CarinaComics's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Location
    Ottawa, ON
    Posts
    3

    Post

    THank you all so much for this information! You guys are the best ��
    Last edited by CarinaComics; 03-03-2020 at 01:37 PM.

  8. #8
    Astonishing Member ChrisIII's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    4,038

    Default

    Although not a Kirby creation, anybody think the Mouser heads have a slight resemblance to Ultron?
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

    https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

  9. #9
    Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Latverian Embassy
    Posts
    14,894

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CarinaComics View Post
    THank you all so much for this information! You guys are the best ��
    You are welcome and I hope your project is a success!

  10. #10
    Astonishing Member Myetche's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,108

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    It's not the comics, but I remember there was an episode of the 2003 TV show that was a tribute to Jack Kirby. One of the turtles befriends a struggling comic book artist named Kirby.
    https://turtlepedia.fandom.com/wiki/The_King

    Good luck with your project!
    That story goes all the back to the original Mirage comics and has been adapted constantly.
    She is Kamala Khan... The Magnificent Ms. Marvel!

  11. #11
    Astonishing Member K7P5V's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    2,654

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CarinaComics View Post
    I was hoping I could get some help! I'm currently doing a research paper on the artistic style of Jack Kirby and his influences on other comic book artists. I was specifically wondering about his influence on the TMNT comics and its creators Laird and Eastman. If you have any information that could help me out I would honestly really appreciate it. I'm also curious about the connection between Daredevil and TMNT's origin story and the artistic similarities between the two comics. Thanks for your help!
    IIRC, Laird & Eastman once cited Frank Miller's Daredevil as an inspiration. Hope this info helps.

    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    This book had a soft cover edition too You can probably find copies of that on Amazon. I have the hardcover limited printing.
    Awesome! I have the softcover edition in my collection.

    Never knew about there being a hardcover edition, though.

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Although not a Kirby creation, anybody think the Mouser heads have a slight resemblance to Ultron?
    IIRC, the mousers were created by Baxter Stockman. Any connection to the Baxter Building, perhaps?
    Last edited by K7P5V; 03-04-2020 at 02:25 PM. Reason: Corrected grammatical errors.

  12. #12
    Better than YOU! Alan2099's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,636

    Default

    At one point there was going to be a 5th Turtle named Kirby. He would join the team in the 4th Ninja Turtles live action movie, but since the third movie did so poorly it was never made.

    There were also plans to have Kirby in the live action TV series when that fell through, but the studio demanded a female instead.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •