Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast
Results 166 to 180 of 244
  1. #166
    Ultimate Member Ascended's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    14,669

    Default

    I imagine it might be a bit of both. A few small adjustments to some characters or plots or whatever, larger changes to others.
    Higher, Faster, Further....More.

    Truth, Justice, and a Better Tomorrow!

    Bridge Four!

  2. #167
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    50,330

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vasir12 View Post
    Feels like this thread is moving even further away from the topic...

    Anyway: https://www.bleedingcool.com/2020/03...icitations-5g/

    Bleedingcool believes generations was delayed to make changes as is all of 5G apparently. This kinda reminds of of when three whole issues of Justice League Odyssey were scrapped and redone.

    They describe these changes as "tweaks" but I could see them making some massive course corrections as they navigate these crazy times.
    Did we ever figure out what that was for? I remember it being a mystery for a time.

  3. #168
    Incredible Member docmidnite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    525

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vasir12 View Post
    Feels like this thread is moving even further away from the topic...

    Anyway: https://www.bleedingcool.com/2020/03...icitations-5g/

    Bleedingcool believes generations was delayed to make changes as is all of 5G apparently. This kinda reminds of of when three whole issues of Justice League Odyssey were scrapped and redone.

    They describe these changes as "tweaks" but I could see them making some massive course corrections as they navigate these crazy times.
    Heh, reminds me how Alan Moore's purposed event Twilight of the Superheroes was mostly scrapped and repurposed by Len Wein into Legends because Dick Giordano couldn't stomach all of the changes to DC's characters if they went through with Moore's purposed event.

  4. #169
    All-New Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Posts
    24

    Default

    I agree with people that the delays in Generations is most likely because they are going to do some changes to their plans, and I also agree that a lot of the changed plans will range from minor to drastic.

    Despite what I've read from other fans opinions, I actually do think that the editors and management do want to do 5G. I just think they didn't want to do some major changes that Didio was pushing for, and I do think the aging of the characters was one of them. I think the general premise of 5G of younger heroes taking up the mantles of classics will still happen.

    With that said, I hope they do other drastic changes, particular when it comes with some of the rumor replacements. Bleeding Cool did report that some 5G titles have been in development for over a year now, which makes me wonder if it isn't too late to change any of the suppose replacements. The Green Lantern season 2 was turn back into its full 12 issue status, which makes me think they did that because 1) 5G will no longer to affect all the titles at the same time, and 2) the editors hadn't settled on who will be the Green Lantern of 5G and there giving themselves more time. That makes me think that a lot of the potential 5G replacements haven't been settled on yet, and Didio may have been pressuring creators to make decisions that they weren't committed which led to his termination. Though that's mostly speculation on my part.

    Either way, I'm still looking forward to 5G to an extent, however I think DC should play it safe in the coming months. Clearly what Didio wanted 5G to be didn't match what the higher management wanted it to be, which is unfortunate. With that said, maybe now all the management and editors can work together to come up with a more concise 5G. That maybe hopeful thinking on my part, and time does not seem to be on DC's side at the moment.

  5. #170
    Astonishing Member vasir12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    2,685

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Did we ever figure out what that was for? I remember it being a mystery for a time.
    I think it's still a mystery. Who knows.

    Quote Originally Posted by transformers03 View Post
    I agree with people that the delays in Generations is most likely because they are going to do some changes to their plans, and I also agree that a lot of the changed plans will range from minor to drastic.

    Despite what I've read from other fans opinions, I actually do think that the editors and management do want to do 5G. I just think they didn't want to do some major changes that Didio was pushing for, and I do think the aging of the characters was one of them. I think the general premise of 5G of younger heroes taking up the mantles of classics will still happen.

    With that said, I hope they do other drastic changes, particular when it comes with some of the rumor replacements. Bleeding Cool did report that some 5G titles have been in development for over a year now, which makes me wonder if it isn't too late to change any of the suppose replacements. The Green Lantern season 2 was turn back into its full 12 issue status, which makes me think they did that because 1) 5G will no longer to affect all the titles at the same time, and 2) the editors hadn't settled on who will be the Green Lantern of 5G and there giving themselves more time. That makes me think that a lot of the potential 5G replacements haven't been settled on yet, and Didio may have been pressuring creators to make decisions that they weren't committed which led to his termination. Though that's mostly speculation on my part.

    Either way, I'm still looking forward to 5G to an extent, however I think DC should play it safe in the coming months. Clearly what Didio wanted 5G to be didn't match what the higher management wanted it to be, which is unfortunate. With that said, maybe now all the management and editors can work together to come up with a more concise 5G. That maybe hopeful thinking on my part, and time does not seem to be on DC's side at the moment.
    I would lean to this if Jim Lee didn't outright say they weren't replacing the heroes. It's possible that was never in the cards but it's also possible these delays are them changing that.

  6. #171
    AT EASE, LOO-SUH! Superlad93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    8,767

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vasir12 View Post
    I would lean to this if Jim Lee didn't outright say they weren't replacing the heroes. It's possible that was never in the cards but it's also possible these delays are them changing that.
    Actually, Jim Lee didn't say anything of the sort during his C2E2 appearance you're thinking of.

    This is a pretty irresponsible miscommunication on Bleedingcool's part. Lee's actual quote "our intent is not to do a line-wide reboot, our focus is to continue what we've done best: pairing characters with great creators and continue to make diverse and amazing stories that you guys love...we're telling stories about characters that can fly and going into other dimensions. It should be a lot of fun."

    That's it.

    Bleedingcool got this information second hand from Newsarama attending the event, and they even cited and the website and used the correct quote in an article that you can no longer read for some reason. The quote you're thinking of has no additional source, and is being made to look as if it were the original quote. What it seems like they were trying to do was assume that when Lee clearly stated "we're not rebooting" he also meant that they weren't relaunching, but clearly rebooting and relaunching are two distinct things. And to top that off, DC has been directly quoted stating that "everything happened". That's the opposite of a reboot, but does not exclude a relaunch.

    Bleedingcool needs to be more careful with how they present their speculation.

    He's the Newsarama page https://www.newsarama.com/49173-c2e2...ght-panel.html

    And he's the Bleedingcool page https://www.bleedingcool.com/2020/03...em-off-for-5g/

    Edit: The Newsarama quote is also cited and used by multiple other sites covering the Jim Lee quote, and not one of them have anything about *not aging* up characters or anything that specific. You'd think of Jim Lee said something that specific, and everyone was already covering his C2E2 talk that they'd also mention the clear reference to the biggest rumor surrounding DC right now, right? As stated before, BC needs to be careful with how they word things because that's a flat out misquote that's easily fact checked.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 03-22-2020 at 04:36 PM.
    #MakeAlexGreatAgain

    "Your videos give us hope. They give us strength in these times of slow normals, Chun-Li costumes and rampant New York fires.
    We shall overcome. The day will come when we are all warmed up."


    -Coffee That

    Who tryina throw some hands in SFV or Granblue Fantasy Vs?

  7. #172
    Astonishing Member vasir12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    2,685

    Default

    Ah, thanks for the clarification! I'll do better due diligence next time.

    It does put this whole thing into more open air. Maybe they are just trying to do a more staggered thing where some heroes get replaced and some take longer or just not at all? Who knows.

  8. #173
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    50,330

    Default

    I mean, from the sounds of things, it is a reboot. If they say "everything happened" then they're re-establishing old continuity that won't really work with the previous continuity instead of doing a halfway measure like Rebirth was trying to do for a most part. Which in hindsight may not have worked out for the best, but I can see why they did it that way.

    They're already rebooting Wonder Woman again.

  9. #174
    Ultimate Member Ascended's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    14,669

    Default

    Oh, it's definitely a reboot. There's no way it can be anything else. Reality and history are/were broken because of Manhattan right? Fixing that necessitates a reboot. And with stuff like Diana being a Golden Age hero and the other things that have been hinted at, we're most definitely getting more than a return to pre-52 history.

    The real question is what books we get. 5G is offering a huge timeline that covers decades and decades. But will the entire line be set in the present, with stuff like Jon Kent becoming Superman, or will some books be set in different eras?
    Higher, Faster, Further....More.

    Truth, Justice, and a Better Tomorrow!

    Bridge Four!

  10. #175
    Invincible Member Digifiend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    21,791

    Default

    Isn't there a graphic with logos for G1, G2, G3, G4, and G5? They look like they could go on the corner box (instead of the word Universe). So I think they intended for books from all generations. Most existing books would be G4. A few like Legion of Super Heroes and Young Justice would be G5, as would anything with new heroes (like a Jon Superman title). JSA would be G1.

    Of course, whatever the plans were, between DiDio's sacking, and this damned Coronavirus that will add to the delays, everything's well and truly up in the air.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

  11. #176
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    50,330

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Isn't there a graphic with logos for G1, G2, G3, G4, and G5? They look like they could go on the corner box (instead of the word Universe). So I think they intended for books from all generations. Most existing books would be G4. A few like Legion of Super Heroes and Young Justice would be G5, as would anything with new heroes (like a Jon Superman title). JSA would be G1.

    Of course, whatever the plans were, between DiDio's sacking, and this damned Coronavirus that will add to the delays, everything's well and truly up in the air.
    I wonder if that might confuse people, unless DC does a really great job marketing the generational divisions in their books, because most people will probably assume the main books are all in real-time.

  12. #177
    Ultimate Member Ascended's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    14,669

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I wonder if that might confuse people, unless DC does a really great job marketing the generational divisions in their books, because most people will probably assume the main books are all in real-time.
    I don't think it'd be too hard to work it out.

    Put a banner on the books with the generation logo front and center, like they've done with the New52 and Rebirth and whatever else. Past that, the art on the cover alone should be enough to tell you if a book is set in the past or not. Is the car Superman is smashing overhead a classic, or new?

    Assuming any books are set in another era other than 5G, anyway. I myself have a hard time believing they put that much work into the timeline just for it to be background dressing. But who knows?

    Maybe titles will try to tell stories from across the years? Issues could be flashback heavy, or single issues could focus on a particular era (like Rucka's Rebirth Wonder Woman) or maybe the year will change with different arcs. Who the hell knows?
    Higher, Faster, Further....More.

    Truth, Justice, and a Better Tomorrow!

    Bridge Four!

  13. #178
    Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    5,005

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Menacer View Post
    Ultimately your expressing an opinion.
    Of course I'm expressing an opinion. This is a comic book message board, not some kind of online presentation of my doctoral thesis.

  14. #179
    Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    5,005

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by docmidnite View Post
    Heh, reminds me how Alan Moore's purposed event Twilight of the Superheroes was mostly scrapped and repurposed by Len Wein into Legends because Dick Giordano couldn't stomach all of the changes to DC's characters if they went through with Moore's purposed event.
    I'm not sure how accurate that is. In the Twilight of the Gods proposal, didn't Moore refer to Legends already being underway? I thought the project didn't go through because Moore parted ways with DC, not because Giordano was worried about a story that essentially would have been just another dark alternate future story.

  15. #180
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    637

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Actually, Jim Lee didn't say anything of the sort during his C2E2 appearance you're thinking of.

    This is a pretty irresponsible miscommunication on Bleedingcool's part. Lee's actual quote "our intent is not to do a line-wide reboot, our focus is to continue what we've done best: pairing characters with great creators and continue to make diverse and amazing stories that you guys love...we're telling stories about characters that can fly and going into other dimensions. It should be a lot of fun."

    That's it.

    Bleedingcool got this information second hand from Newsarama attending the event, and they even cited and the website and used the correct quote in an article that you can no longer read for some reason. The quote you're thinking of has no additional source, and is being made to look as if it were the original quote. What it seems like they were trying to do was assume that when Lee clearly stated "we're not rebooting" he also meant that they weren't relaunching, but clearly rebooting and relaunching are two distinct things. And to top that off, DC has been directly quoted stating that "everything happened". That's the opposite of a reboot, but does not exclude a relaunch.

    Bleedingcool needs to be more careful with how they present their speculation.

    He's the Newsarama page https://www.newsarama.com/49173-c2e2...ght-panel.html

    And he's the Bleedingcool page https://www.bleedingcool.com/2020/03...em-off-for-5g/

    Edit: The Newsarama quote is also cited and used by multiple other sites covering the Jim Lee quote, and not one of them have anything about *not aging* up characters or anything that specific. You'd think of Jim Lee said something that specific, and everyone was already covering his C2E2 talk that they'd also mention the clear reference to the biggest rumor surrounding DC right now, right? As stated before, BC needs to be careful with how they word things because that's a flat out misquote that's easily fact checked.
    BC did NOT get the info from Newsarama, we transcribed directly from the panel. Newsarama missed that bit out. No misquote.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •