Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast
    Fantastic Member sustainentropy's Avatar

Default Generation Five (or 5G) No Longer Line Wide Relaunch

From Bleeding Cool: https://www.bleedingcool.com/2020/03...popular_mobile

"Or at least that was the plan, the exit of Dan DiDio over repeated resignations at the company. means that everything is up in the air. But, as Bleeding Cool reported, 5G has buy-in from Warners/AT&T who saw how this might be easily turned into appealing animated movies too. So yes, it is still going ahead, but it is no longer line-wide. It is now been reduced to a smaller line of books that have already had a number of issues completed. It is not going to be the huge relaunch that was originally planned. And the DC Timeline that would accompany it is also still happening, but it will be trimmed, and no longer tied down to specific years or real-life events aside from World War II."

I'm glad that we still get the timeline, only with the unnecessary naming of actual years removed. There would have been a mess up somewhere along the way and it would have been contradicted. We just need a general idea of where everything fits without getting micro specific.
    Last edited by sustainentropy; 03-03-2020 at 04:48 PM.

Yeah I’m pretty much still on board for this. I genuinely wanna see what happens and see what we might get out of this once it supposedly roles out in October.

I like the idea that dc will take the time to put out a timeline, but really only to establish characters and events did occur after all the reality bending of New52 and Rebirth/Doomsday clock. I do want to see new/returning characters and I’m interested to see what writers can do with new faces under the helms of the costumes but that does not mean I expected or wanted everyone gone. So yeah, a nice middle ground for everyone if you will.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Incredible Member

It's funny, the timeline was probably the one thing I think everyone actually agreed with.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

I've suspected it was too far along to just pull. Now that Didio's out I wonder how many other of his edicts will be reversed.
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    I've suspected it was too far along to just pull. Now that Didio's out I wonder how many other of his edicts will be reversed.
    I imagine the Titans generation could be restored going forward, and not used as redshirts for more events considering how marketable many of them are.

Astonishing Member

I guess it'll just be the core characters - Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, Flash, Aquaman, Justice League.

Replacing and/or drastically ageing up every single character in the DC Universe would have been logistical nightmare.

....isn't this just DC doing the same half measure approach that led to them having to do the timeline and 5G in the first place?
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    ....isn't this just DC doing the same half measure approach that led to them having to do the timeline and 5G in the first place?
    Timeline is one thing. But suddenly aging up and replacing basically all of the well known characters, is not a good idea. Especially on such a large scale as what was being leaked.

So the 5G heroes are going to get their own limited series while the main DCU continues on as is? And there will be a new timeline? That's the impression I'm getting from this.

The WWII stories better make losing Year One worth it for Wonder Woman, although I don't see how.

I'll settle on Wonder Woman getting a top tier writer that shows she has a connection to her family.

Quote Originally Posted by vasir12 View Post
    I'll settle on Wonder Woman getting a top tier writer that shows she has a connection to her family.
    But wait! Family is bor-
    Oh yeah, that guy is no longer there. Continue on.

So yes, it is still going ahead, but it is no longer line-wide. It is now been reduced to a smaller line of books that have already had a number of issues completed.
    I'm trying to figure out what it means myself. I just don't see how something like this can be done in half-measures without royally screwing up the timeline and continuity. Then again, it's already royally screwed up.

and no longer tied down to specific years or real-life events aside from World War II."
    And that's the one I wanted most removed (excepting Jon's aging, which is unfortunately done already) because I feel it's a detriment as we get further and further way from that point in time. I think it's been a problem for Diana that her origin is not "timeless." I think it's been an issue with JSA (which many love it that way, and frankly I'm not that into the JSA anyway, but in the earlier 1970s, they'd seemingly been time-slide out of that origin-time and I don't like the "solution" to keep them younger/alive in post-COIE). I think it was kicking the can down the road to make Dinah the child of a 1940s-era (she debuted after the war) hero and that origin no longer works for her and hasn't for an age. Of course, I also don't like Steve as only in one era of her life and don't like Clark or Diana as unaging/immortal (except when she's on Themyscira, of course).

The WWII stories better make losing Year One worth it for Wonder Woman, although I don't see how.
    Same here. Year One wasn't perfect, but it I liked for the most part.

For me, it depends on who you mean as family. More of the relationship with Hippolyta is good. Retconning the relationship with Donna to make them extremely close in Donna's youth or Diana her mentor (which was not the case at all in the Pre-COIE days when we saw Donna that age) is not. I'd like to keep the relationship with Cassie what it actually was when Cassie debuted, rather than making Diana a parental figure. I'm okay with some other Amazons around, but I don't want more and more time spent on the Island (which ties in to my lack of interest in the mythology-focus for Diana).
    Last edited by Tzigone; 03-03-2020 at 06:56 PM.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    That was mostly Didio from what I understand. Now that he's out, it's just DC trying to work around what he already put in place.
    Assassinate Putin!

It's about time .

Yeah family, like her daddy Zeus.