Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Well Vita and Rodney Barnes were in that talent workshop and what did they really do?

Vita did a few fill ins. Meanwhile They were doing Livewire at Valiant, Morbius and X-Men books at Marvel.

Rodney did Duke's mini and more stuff for marvel.

At least those artists are going to get paid but you have to feel for them because what did they pass up to work for DC?
    I’d doubt Vita would come back given she’s gonna play with some of the big upcoming X-men stuff and Rodney depends on how busy he gets with his image work and if he comes back post Seven Days to write more Quincredible for Catalyst Prime.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Yeah, DC's gonna regret letting Vita go.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    When artists are literally being told to stop drawing in the middle of projects, that's a sign they're changing course. This sounds like my initial theory was correct. That no one but Didio wanted this but it was too far along to just abandon so they have to find some way to turn this around. It sounds like whatever 5G becomes, it won't be the big deal it was initially sold as. And holding talent contests and then not hiring the winners sounds so stupid. Why get people's hopes up like that? What is the point? As more and more comes out, it looks like firing Didio was the right call.
    I'm not in the offices of DC, or working with those people in any fashion, but it seems to me that Dan DiDio was quite scatter brained. What lends more to this is that now that he's gone, Grant Morrison and Liam Sharp get to continue their Green Lantern run as was originally scheduled. I think DiDio starts stuff, doesn't finish, gets another idea, and suddenly pulls the rug out from the previous thing he was working on. This was actually probably the main reason why I don't read DC anymore. It wasn't worth investing in any story because it could just abruptly end without any kind of organic conclusion. This is certainly not the type of person you want in a position like Publisher or Editor in Chief. It's really bad to do that type of thing to one title, but your company is in trouble when you start seeing it all across the line of publications.

Holding contests and not doing anything with the winners is just another manifestation of the guy getting some idea, not totally following through with it, and moving on to something else only to repeat the whole process over again. Then there's his general poor planning, like what happened with the New 52 and changing Johns' Flashpoint into something it apparently wasn't meant to be. It's like he wanted this big thing to happen, but was too scatter brained to really sit down and consider all the logistics, planning, and ramifications.

I had been irritated for a while that DC did those talent workshops and then completely failed to hire anyone from them. If Didio was the one not bringing them on board, yeah that’s idiotic. Why is an old workhorse who is past his prime like Jurgens on Batman Beyond and Nightwing? If you want to keep giving him work, give him an Elseworld book where he can do what he wants with Superman and Booster Gold and whoever. But Batman Beyond and Nightwing should be where your new guys get work. DC has desperately needed new creative blood for a while now, especially with Snyder stepping back. It’s time to start cultivating the next Scott Snyder, and DC was not doing that under Didio.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Yeah, DC's gonna regret letting Vita go.
    I guess I haven't read a lot of her work but I thought her DC work was just solid more then anything else.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I had been irritated for a while that DC did those talent workshops and then completely failed to hire anyone from them. If Didio was the one not bringing them on board, yeah that’s idiotic. Why is an old workhorse who is past his prime like Jurgens on Batman Beyond and Nightwing? If you want to keep giving him work, give him an Elseworld book where he can do what he wants with Superman and Booster Gold and whoever. But Batman Beyond and Nightwing should be where your new guys get work. DC has desperately needed new creative blood for a while now, especially with Snyder stepping back. It’s time to start cultivating the next Scott Snyder, and DC was not doing that under Didio.
    Nightwing is so editorially-controlled with the current direction that I doubt a new writer would have even considered wanting to write it. Especially if they couldn't get to write the "real" Nightwing.

DC definitely needs some new creative blood to spearhead DC's next generation of stories. Bendis has not brought in the fans nor acclaim DC wanted with his Superman, Wonder Comics and Legion work. King only knows how to write depressing, miserable, deconstructionist stories that wallow in their own misery and cynicism. Even if Snyder was staying on I find his work overrated and repetitive and Tynion is essentially Snyder's acolyte. DC needs some fresh blood writers to take the reins in a bold and interesting direction for the fans but they just don't have the right writers to do that on their main line.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I guess I haven't read a lot of her work but I thought her DC work was just solid more then anything else.

Nightwing is so editorially-controlled with the current direction that I doubt a new writer would have even considered wanting to write it. Especially if they couldn't get to write the "real" Nightwing.
    I suspect Didio was the one behind the current Nightwing direction, and even if he wasn’t, the shakeups at DC provide the perfect opportunity to “fix” Nightwing. Now is the time to put someone new on the book.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    They can solve the ever-widening gap between the Golden Age/Generation One and a perpetually "15ish years ago" Silver Age/Generation Two by explaining that the Golden Agers were all shunted off to Earth-2 during the intervening years until either the Flash of Two Worlds or Crisis on Infinite Earths merged them back into Earth-0. Since time moved slower on Earth-2, the Golden Agers are only 15 to 25 years older than the Silver Agers.
    Please stop making sense. DC might take notice and do something that works

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I suspect Didio was the one behind the current Nightwing direction, and even if he wasn’t, the shakeups at DC provide the perfect opportunity to “fix” Nightwing. Now is the time to put someone new on the book.
    I suspect they will do after Joker War, which will also end the Ric story.
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vampire Savior View Post
    I'm not in the offices of DC, or working with those people in any fashion, but it seems to me that Dan DiDio was quite scatter brained. What lends more to this is that now that he's gone, Grant Morrison and Liam Sharp get to continue their Green Lantern run as was originally scheduled. I think DiDio starts stuff, doesn't finish, gets another idea, and suddenly pulls the rug out from the previous thing he was working on. This was actually probably the main reason why I don't read DC anymore. It wasn't worth investing in any story because it could just abruptly end without any kind of organic conclusion. This is certainly not the type of person you want in a position like Publisher or Editor in Chief. It's really bad to do that type of thing to one title, but your company is in trouble when you start seeing it all across the line of publications.

Holding contests and not doing anything with the winners is just another manifestation of the guy getting some idea, not totally following through with it, and moving on to something else only to repeat the whole process over again. Then there's his general poor planning, like what happened with the New 52 and changing Johns' Flashpoint into something it apparently wasn't meant to be. It's like he wanted this big thing to happen, but was too scatter brained to really sit down and consider all the logistics, planning, and ramifications.
    The impression that I got from all the articles and what not that I read on Didio is that he had a vision for the DCU but it conflicted with what everyone else wanted. So it involved micromanaging everything to the point where no one but him had any sort of creative control. Want to do something with Nightwing? Too bad. Didio thinks he makes Batman look old. The stories of his interfering in things like Flashpoint and 52 because they weren't going in the direction he wanted. Giving exclusive contracts to guys like Frank Miller and Bendis who are well past their prime because he's living in the past. It's not that I don't think he knows what he wants to do, it's that I think that his "vision" conflicts with what everyone else wants and thinks is good for the company.
    Assassinate Putin!

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

I suspect they will do after Joker War, which will also end the Ric story.
    I'm pretty sure the plan already was or Dick to come back during Joker War, they teased his return the same day they announced Tynion on Batman.

I know (hence the "will also end the Ric story" part). But I was actually replying to the last sentence in that quote: "Now is the time to put someone new on the book." After Joker War, after Ric is finally dealt with, they'll probably change the creative team as Dick enters a new era.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

I know (hence the "will also end the Ric story" part). But I was actually replying to the last sentence in that quote: "Now is the time to put someone new on the book." After Joker War, after Ric is finally dealt with, they'll probably change the creative team as Dick enters a new era.
    We'll see, I'd imagine all these bat family books will only get more arc before 5G/Generations takes over so in that case, I imagine they'll just let Jurgens finish up his run.

Isn't Joker War supposed to last all summer? 5G was due to start in October anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    I'm pretty sure the plan already was or Dick to come back during Joker War, they teased his return the same day they announced Tynion on Batman.
    Tynion only said Dick would return in 2020, and this was only stated verbally and then reported. It was never part of any press release, it was never mentioned in any other write-ups, etc.

My takeaway is that Dick will be back. We don’t know if that actually means in Tynion’s Batman though. Lots of people just started celebrating instead of taking a second to think about it back then lol. Now we know Dick is still not back through May, meaning we’re already reaching the halfway point of 2020 without Nightwing. To be fair to Tynion, his run is still only just starting, but this hardly matches the expectations Nightwing fans randomly built up for themselves lol.

Anyways, point is they really didn’t seem like they were teasing Dick’s return for or during Joker War or even Tynion’s run because we would’ve heard more about it. All that was said was that Nightwing was coming back in 2020, and I have to wonder for how long given the plans for 5G.