Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think the young adult/young kids graphic novels and series are great and really enjoyable, but I think that would be very limiting to the line if we just limited it to stuff like that compared to what comics can achieve as ongoing narrative story that builds on the mythos and the characters' adventures on a regular basis.
    I suspect that if DC does put the majority of its focus on 5G like rumor says, then the classics will be used in some of the YA and kids stuff (probably along with some of the 5G faces), as well as some Black Label (which has already started) mini's so we *should* have a fairly decent spread of stuff to pick from. But I agree; the continuing narrative is a big draw for us comic fans. Now, I'll be okay if that continuing narrative is doled out in recurring mini's (like tv seasons) or something rather than monthly floppies. I'm perfectly fine getting out of the direct market model. But I don't want the serialized stories ending.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I disagree with this. I love those stories but I don't think they would be as strong as they are without the source versions as reference or basis. They may condense things and razor-focus on the core of the character to craft a strong story for a new audience, but at their base level they are still reflecting the characters from the main line in my opinion.

Like, Shadow of the Batgirl really got Cass, but I wouldn't say it's the "best" Cass compared to the original version. That just feels disrespectful to all the work writers and artists put into her that inspired Shadow of the Batgirl.

Then again, I guess people often cite media adaptions as the "best" versions so I guess it's in-line with that.

The Giants are reflective enough of the mainline stuff anyways but they're not meant to be an ongoing continuity that most comic book fans expect.

Maybe if you've been following it more closely then I have, but on-paper it sounds like a convoluted mess.
    I’m talking about the best versions currently. The best Cass in the past decade of Cass stories is Shadow of Batgirl. At least imo. The best Nightwing story in the past decade is Dick’s arc in YJ: Outsiders, although there were some Rebirth storylines that I was a massive fan of. Same thing with Superman, Smashes the Klan is the best imo, even if there were some amazing Rebirth stories. Except that was 3-4 years ago.

The best Rebirth stories were books like New Super-Man and The Green Lanterns which used existing worlds to build new and more expansive stories with new characters. Continuity really doesn’t matter when nothing moves forward and characters have to be regularly torn down to halt progress. Continuity matters when your characters grow over the years and stories become history which makes way for new stories.
    Last edited by Grayson - The Dark Heir; 03-10-2020 at 05:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Grayson - The Dark Heir View Post
    I’m talking about the best versions currently. The best Cass in the past decade of Cass stories is Shadow of Batgirl. At least imo. The best Nightwing story in the past decade is Dick’s arc in YJ: Outsiders, although there were some Rebirth storylines that I was a massive fan of. Same thing with Superman, Smashes the Klan is the best imo, even if there were some amazing Rebirth stories. Except that was 3-4 years ago.
    I don't think that means giving up on the current comic versions even if I agree they've been handled better in recent media adaptions or Elseworld takes, but I think there's been enough wortwhile in the main comics to warrant the necessity in their existence.
    The best Rebirth stories were books like New Super-Man and The Green Lanterns which used existing worlds to build new and more expansive stories with new characters. Continuity really doesn’t matter when nothing moves forward and characters have to be regularly torn down to halt progress. Continuity matters when your characters grow over the years and stories become history which makes way for new stories.
    I mean, I thought Rebirth Hal N' Pals, Superman, Wonder Woman, Flash, and Nightwing were pretty good. But that's just me.

Generations pulled? No Generation Two in the June solicits.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Wasn't it rumored that they were rewriting and redrawing parts of all the Generation books to be less specific about real-world dates?

That takes time, so I'm guessing that's the hold up.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Wasn't it rumored that they were rewriting and redrawing parts of all the Generation books to be less specific about real-world dates?

That takes time, so I'm guessing that's the hold up.
    somewhat related, scott Snyder just tweeted the recent changes at DC changed affected death metal, it’s now a much bigger story. So it seems like this event will now kick off DC’s next plans instead of the generation one shots possibly?

Has the FCBD comic gone to press yet? If Generations is kiboshed, they need to rename it from it's current Generation Zero name. I'd just call it Flash Forward Epilogue.
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Has the FCBD comic gone to press yet? If Generations is kiboshed, they need to rename it from it's current Generation Zero name. I'd just call it Flash Forward Epilogue.
    Generations isn’t dead, it’s just being rewritten to match whatever the current plan is.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    somewhat related, scott Snyder just tweeted the recent changes at DC changed affected death metal, it’s now a much bigger story. So it seems like this event will now kick off DC’s next plans instead of the generation one shots possibly?
    If the two are connected it may be related to the rumor regarding how Snyder didn't want Death Metal linked with anything else, but DiDio wanted it to help usher in 5G, and eventually DiDio caved and let Snyder have his space.

This may be a situation where someone directly from WB/AT&T said that it had to be part of the plan rather than its own contained celebration?

From a marketing standpoint, it's the smart move to raise awareness and legitimacy of the plans. Potentially this would aid the now allegedly altered Generations one-shots because they'd effectively be follow-ups to DC's biggest event of the year rather than just a thing that happens after it.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 03-13-2020 at 02:35 PM.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    That wouldn't be great either. Free Comic Book Day titles are used to promote current and/or upcoming comics.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    Interesting. At this point it really is impossible to gauge what's happening behind the scenes here. Generations is late and Death Metal getting an expanded scope suggests at least some kind of course change.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    That wouldn't be great either. Free Comic Book Day titles are used to promote current and/or upcoming comics.
    Turned out to be a moot point. Bleeding Cool posted an article about FCBD being business as usual despite the Coronavirus - and mentioned that the FCBD comics have already been printed.

FCBD postponed, which means Generation One is now due out before Generation Zero. Whoops.
    https://www.bleedingcool.com/2020/03...to-the-summer/

This is becoming a mess.

Which is something I was fearing when Didio left. He was clearly driving the ship of the changes with a strong arm. No matter if I liked the idea or not, I don't think this is going to turn well in the end, going with what I'm reading here.

And the covid-19 isn't going to help I guess.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

I smell another reboot on the horizon!
    Assassinate Putin!