Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    My concern is that this book will not last enough to reach the heights of Avengers Academy and do its mostly original cast justice like AA did.
    Very strong agree. It seems a little too by the books at the minute, for me. It doesn’t stand out

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2020/03...e-week-comics/
    Quote Originally Posted by Famous Faces & Funnies
    It was a "Strange" week at FFF with Flash taking the top spot in our Top Ten Bestseller list followed close behind by both Strange Academy and Strange Adventures.

Strange Academy was a bit of a surprise. I haven't been this excited for a book from Marvel that doesn't have an X or a Spider in the name. It kind of snuck up on us. I know Marvel has been including a preview in a lot of their books so maybe they actually managed to hype the right thing this time. A team like Skottie Young and Humberto Ramos is also hard to beat. I can see this being a book that sits in our Top Ten for a while to come.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Lonewolf36 View Post
    Zoe is probably related to Marie Laveau.
    Apparently Marie was a doctor strange foe at one point- I hope we learn more about that.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    My concern is that this book will not last enough to reach the heights of Avengers Academy and do its mostly original cast justice like AA did.
    Hard to say, with only one book done, but I feel like they are all just mouthy teens with different colored magic zaps. My zap is fire. My zap is cold. My zap is pink. My zap is green. At least the AA kids or New X-Men or whatever had wildly different powers, and weren't saddled with this generic 'magic' which consists of differently colored zaps, instead of actual spells or invocations, which could at least be wildly different due to the different power sources (the Asgardians invoking Baldar or Heimdall, 'Doyle' invoking his Faltine relatives, etc.).

(Which, since they can apparently blast each other with willy-nilly, don't do more than knock a teenager over, which makes them pretty useless for possibly superhuman class threats...)

Quote Originally Posted by protege View Post
    Apparently Marie was a doctor strange foe at one point- I hope we learn more about that.
    I think that was during Roy Thomas' stint on Doctor Strange, Sorcerer Supreme...about the same time as Roy was giving Stephen a previously unknown brother, who Doc accidentally turns into a vampire. As one does.
    "Age is not defined by years, but by regrets...I'm an old man now." --Fighting Yank, "Project Superpowers"

Quote Originally Posted by protege View Post
    http://marvunapp.com/Appendix/laveau.htm

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    Question: I know Dr. Strange was never really a secret identity guy, but how widely known is he generally in the Marvel Universe?
    Fairly widely known, but not super famous like Iron Man or Thor. Also not every member of the public believes he does real magic or that there even is real magic; because he keeps using amnesia spells on witnesses.

I liked all the new characters in this, I hope it lasts long enough for them to grow into their own.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

I really get the feeling were gonna see a Outlawed tie in. However if it does, how will it happen? I know it's just after Issue #1 but we've seen weirder tie ins.

Quote Originally Posted by mreddie View Post
    I really get the feeling were gonna see a Outlawed tie in. However if it does, how will it happen? I know it's just after Issue #1 but we've seen weirder tie ins.
    If they don't actually go out and fight super-villains, the event won't touch them. It's the "teen hero as child soldier" thing they seem to be leaning on.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Hard to say, with only one book done, but I feel like they are all just mouthy teens with different colored magic zaps. My zap is fire. My zap is cold. My zap is pink. My zap is green. At least the AA kids or New X-Men or whatever had wildly different powers, and weren't saddled with this generic 'magic' which consists of differently colored zaps, instead of actual spells or invocations, which could at least be wildly different due to the different power sources (the Asgardians invoking Baldar or Heimdall, 'Doyle' invoking his Faltine relatives, etc.).

(Which, since they can apparently blast each other with willy-nilly, don't do more than knock a teenager over, which makes them pretty useless for possibly superhuman class threats...)
    Agreed. They all seem to have very generic powers. In fact when we were being introduced to Emily Bright and she said she was magic all her life, I have to wonder how she knew that. Why didn't she think she was a mutant? Wouldn't that be a more obvious speculation.

Also, based on the "I know your secret" scene, I think Zoe actually is Marie Laveau, but she is unaware of it.

BANNED

A magical start to a new series. As much as I'm hesitant to become attached to new characters, I think this is a pretty fun cast. Guslaug & Zoe Laveau will likely be my favourites.

I wonder just how deep into mystical lore we'll get and what characters could show up. I'd be all for Agatha Harkness, Clea, Señor Mágico, Nina the Conjurer, Demon Rider/Kushala, Calypso & Topaz among others. I look forward to seeing the approach Nico & Illyana take in teaching the next gen of magic users too, as they're sorta the halfway point given we're seeing different generations of magic here.

I wonder if Calvin Morse's coat/jacket is at all related to Tiboro and the character Coat of Arms

I read the first issue last night and thought it was great - lots of fun, intriguing new characters and high energy Ramos art! Excited for the next chapter.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by billee0918 View Post
    I read the first issue last night and thought it was great - lots of fun, intriguing new characters and high energy Ramos art! Excited for the next chapter.
    The third issue was even better. People are sleeping on this comic and these characters.

Issue 03 expands on these characters personalities in interesting ways while maintaining and building on certain mysteries...all the while framing the story in a very fun setting.
    Last edited by Devaishwarya; 10-10-2020 at 05:50 AM.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    The third issue was even better. People are sleeping on this comic and these characters.

Issue 03 expands on these characters personalities in interesting ways while maintaining and building on certain mysteries...all the while framing the story in a very fun setting.
    Any explanation for why Doyle's head is on fire yet?

Dormammu himself has long black hair and caucasian features, like his sister Umar, when he's not wearing the flames of regency, so it's not a 'my dad has a fire-head' thing, it's either an illusion Doyle wears for some reason (hides the pimples? looks badass?), or he's actually got the flames of regency and is lord of the Dark Dimension this week (the flames have passed on to Umar, and even Clea, at times when they've been ruler of the DD).

Obviously there's a story there, I'm just wondering if it's been addressed yet.
    Last edited by Sutekh; 10-10-2020 at 06:08 AM.