Default Kurapika (Hunter x Hunter) vs Edward Elric (Fullmetal Alchemist)

Hunter vs Alchemist. Who wins?

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Kurapika is a bullet timer. I imagine he takes this in short order.

Astonishing Member Captain Morgan's Avatar

What's he allowed to do with his nen here? I was never entirely clear on how his conditions worked exactly. If he can use his chains that is the ballgame, but I am not sure how much he can use on non-spiders without dying.

Like Nik said, Kurapika could bullet-time even when he knew nothing about Nen. He can use his chains on bullets fired by random people with no issue.

Even if all he does is enhance his physicals with Nen he should overwhelm Ed in CQC no problem.
    "What I sought, I could not obtain."

"This is a meaningless battle. We are two madmen engaging in senseless folley."

"I will kill, I will let live..."

--Genuine Fake Priest Kotomine Kirei

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    What's he allowed to do with his nen here? I was never entirely clear on how his conditions worked exactly. If he can use his chains that is the ballgame, but I am not sure how much he can use on non-spiders without dying.
    He can use all his powers.

He changed the rules of Emperor Time, which is "all power types at 100% mode," recently so he can activate it at will, with the caveat that for every second he has it activated he loses an hour of his total lifespan.

Also, he's a bullet timer even without the boosts to his stats that Emperor Time gives him so he can just blitz and beat the snot of Ed by himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    He can use all his powers.

He changed the rules of Emperor Time, which is "all power types at 100% mode," recently so he can activate it at will, with the caveat that for every second he has it activated he loses an hour of his total lifespan.

Also, he's a bullet timer even without the boosts to his stats that Emperor Time gives him so he can just blitz and beat the snot of Ed by himself.
    Sure, but if he doesn't have a range weapon, he would need to cross 100 feet before Ed can start clapping... And while there are Hunter x Hunter characters who could pull that off, I'm not sure Kurapika is one of them.

I know he's trading his lifespan in now for some of the powers, but he has so many god damn powers in that things I'm not sure which it applies to. (Also nen as a whole doesn't feel super well explained to me, so.)

Sure, but if he doesn't have a range weapon, he would need to cross 100 feet before Ed can start clapping... And while there are Hunter x Hunter characters who could pull that off, I'm not sure Kurapika is one of them.
    Strictly speaking, he's capable of allocating his nen competency to any power type so he could just go "I have 100% emitter power type," and blast Ed into the ground.

I know he's trading his lifespan in now for some of the powers, but he has so many god damn powers in that things I'm not sure which it applies to. (Also nen as a whole doesn't feel super well explained to me, so.)
    uuuuhhh...

Nen is perhaps one of the most elaborately explained power systems in manga. What are you unsure on?

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    Strictly speaking, he's capable of allocating his nen competency to any power type so he could just go "I have 100% emitter power type," and blast Ed into the ground.

uuuuhhh...

Nen is perhaps one of the most elaborately explained power systems in manga. What are you unsure on?
    Perhaps it it less that it isn't well explained than it doesn't entirely seem well thought out. Like the basic power set makes sense and all, but some of the weirder powers really feel like the author is playing Calvin Ball.

Perhaps it it less that it isn't well explained than it doesn't entirely seem well thought out. Like the basic power set makes sense and all, but some of the weirder powers really feel like the author is playing Calvin Ball.
    What's Calvin Ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    What's Calvin Ball.
    A game from the comic series Calvin and Hobbes. It's specifically got no rules beyond whatever the players make up on the fly at the time.

I think the wilder parts of Nen come from the risk/reward power. Depending on how much you are willing to risk, you can get crazy stuff. [ex: Gon sacrificing his ability to use Nen entirely along with taking cripplingly horrible physical infirmity to get enough power to kill Pitou]

That's like a weird multiplier that really futzes with the system a bit.

Also, Nen beasts now. They are thing and they are veeeeery weird.

Yeah Nen Beasts are a good example. But even the basic risk reward stuff is weird. A lot of it is basically making a contract... But with yourself? If Nen was some granted power it would be one thing but they stress it is all internal energies.

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

Yeah Nen Beasts are a good example. But even the basic risk reward stuff is weird. A lot of it is basically making a contract... But with yourself? If Nen was some granted power it would be one thing but they stress it is all internal energies.
    that's the thing about nen. it's very personalized. like nik said, it's very risk/reward. take chrollo from the phantom troupe. his nen power can seem very broken but given the conditions of using it, its hard to really pull off, unless you are really slick with it like chrollo is.