Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Black Adam hits theaters just four months before Billy Batson’s second solo outing

The first thing I thought was "What about Black Adam?" Well that answers my question.

Shazam 2 is going to hit theaters just four months after Black Adam? Seems risky but luck favors the bold. Either way both have my money.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    It wasnt adult and deadly serious therefore it was like a MCU movie. Which makes it bad.

I really liked Shazam and I hope 2 keeps the same tone. Black adam should have a much darker more adult tone and the let those worlds collide in Shazam 3. Do it like GOTG, keep the tone that made Shazam a sucess but dont be afraid to get really dark if the story calls for it.
    Agree Shazam's tone was fine and it fit the character. Did it look like a standard MCU film, yes it did but it works for the character and storyline.

I did see some differences to where I personally enjoyed it a bit more than most MCU films. Pretty much the director's horror film background was really seen in the board room scene which helped and I prefer a more balanced focus on the villains in cbm as I think it adds another layer to the story and gives the audience more insight into why the villains are the way they are instead of the cliche bad guy is just bad without much reason. Additionally, we also get to see how smart evil really is which adds to the film's journey.

Most MCU films usually don't give much screen time to the villains but there are some that do. Obviously Avengers Infinity War and Black Panther did but not many more outside those two.
    Last edited by ComicJunkie21; 03-06-2020 at 09:59 AM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post
    Black Adam hits theaters just four months before Billy Batson’s second solo outing

The first thing I thought was "What about Black Adam?" Well that answers my question.

Shazam 2 is going to hit theaters just four months after Black Adam? Seems risky but luck favors the bold. Either way both have my money.
    I can't wait to see Captain Marvel face Black Adam. I also can't wait to see the rock's Black Adam as I think it's going to make viewers feel really conflicted about wanting him to lose considering his background. He's more anti hero than villain imo and his form of justice isn't necessarily wrong or right but it doesn't line up to the ideals of the heroes.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    It's also good to see that Superman will be appearing and played by Henry Cavill.
    Don't get your hopes up too high just yet, as I understand it that's still just a rumor to be taken with several handfuls of salt.

Quote Originally Posted by ComicJunkie21 View Post
    Agree Shazam's tone was fine and it fit the character. Did it look like a standard MCU film, yes it did but it works for the character and storyline.

I did see some differences to where I personally enjoyed it a bit more than most MCU films. Pretty much the director's horror film background was really seen in the board room scene which helped and I prefer a more balanced focus on the villains in cbm as I think it adds another layer to the story and gives the audience more insight into why the villains are the way they are instead of the cliche bad guy is just bad without much reason. Additionally, we also get to see how smart evil really is which adds to the film's journey.

Most MCU films usually don't give much screen time to the villains but there are some that do. Obviously Avengers Infinity War and Black Panther did but not many more outside those two.
    The villian being weak was one of the knocks on Shazam.

They kind of had to compensate for not being able to use Black Adam, although I thought Sivana was okay.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    They kind of had to compensate for not being able to use Black Adam, although I thought Sivana was okay.
    They gave him motivation and yea he was by no means bad but he wasnt some well a developed villian. The original poster I was responding too said he was given more screen time then most MCU villians minus Killmonger and Thanos. I'd say almost every villain except the ones from Captain Marvel that the MCU has done the past few years was better developed. I'd compare him to the bad guy from Dr Strange. Whatever his name was, he wasnt bad but nothing about him stood out. Except that Mad is an amazing actor, same as Mark Strong.

Anyway Black Adam is one of my favorite DC characters. I'm a big Namor fan and there Is some big parallels between the two. So I cant wait to see what the rock does. I hope they go a little more Adult then Shazam. And for people who say they won't becuase it's the Rock havent seen his TV show Ballers. It all depends on the Studios vision for the character. The rock isnt afraid to play something darker. By no means do I think it should be R rated though. Just a bit darker and serious. A movie aimed at adults but that younger people can also enjoy.

I can't wait to see Captain Marvel face Black Adam. I also can't wait to see the rock's Black Adam as I think it's going to make viewers feel really conflicted about wanting him to lose considering his background. He's more anti hero than villain imo and his form of justice isn't necessarily wrong or right but it doesn't line up to the ideals of the heroes.

I'm hoping they go with the classic storyline of Black Adam being the Wizard's champion/hero during ancient times, has a family (wife/kids) who get killed by a villain he was soft on, and he becomes too grim for the Wizard so Black Adam's sent to the far ends of the universe and doesn't make it back to earth until the modern day, when Billy Batson is the Wizard's new superhero.

They gave him motivation and yea he was by no means bad but he wasnt some well a developed villian. The original poster I was responding too said he was given more screen time then most MCU villians minus Killmonger and Thanos. I'd say almost every villain except the ones from Captain Marvel that the MCU has done the past few years was better developed. I'd compare him to the bad guy from Dr Strange. Whatever his name was, he wasnt bad but nothing about him stood out. Except that Mad is an amazing actor, same as Mark Strong.

Anyway Black Adam is one of my favorite DC characters. I'm a big Namor fan and there Is some big parallels between the two. So I cant wait to see what the rock does. I hope they go a little more Adult then Shazam. And for people who say they won't becuase it's the Rock havent seen his TV show Ballers. It all depends on the Studios vision for the character. The rock isnt afraid to play something darker. By no means do I think it should be R rated though. Just a bit darker and serious. A movie aimed at adults but that younger people can also enjoy.

I would've far preferred Sivana with his original look & background.....Ugly, short, super-intelligent dude with a hot-assed wife and a set of kids (Some of whom resemble him, some resembling his hot-assed wife).....And also focus on Sivana's hatred for magic. Considering the tone of the first film, all of this would've fit perfectly, and they could've given Sivana 15-20 minutes of full back-story on his passion for science, his hatred for magic, and how he acquired certain capabilities to combat Billy. And also some screen-time for his hot-assed wife.

Speaking of which, I wonder who would've been a solid casting choice for Mrs. Sivana.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    The GREAT news here is that there is going to be a Shazam 2. It's also good to see that Superman will be appearing and played by Henry Cavill.
    I will call this a bluff. Cavill is done playing Superman.

Incredible Member

As a character yes Sivana isnt very strong but I thought that Mark Strong did well to make him more interesting but I your point is valid. Captain Marvel's best villains are mister Mind and Black Adam which they couldn't use yet. I also think since Shazam had a small budget overall for a cbm, they really couldn't afford a lot of CGI either for good fight scenes with another villain. The budget should be bigger for Shazam 2 but idk as walter Hamada is trying to scale back production costs across the board.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ramsay Snow View Post
    I'm hoping they go with the classic storyline of Black Adam being the Wizard's champion/hero during ancient times, has a family (wife/kids) who get killed by a villain he was soft on, and he becomes too grim for the Wizard so Black Adam's sent to the far ends of the universe and doesn't make it back to earth until the modern day, when Billy Batson is the Wizard's new superhero.
    From the first Shazam film it comes across like they are going with the former slave takes revenge route for Black Adam's origin.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvelgirl View Post
    I will call this a bluff. Cavill is done playing Superman.

I agree he's long gone.

From the first Shazam film it comes across like they are going with the former slave takes revenge route for Black Adam's origin.
    Curious what part of the film makes you think that?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Curious what part of the film makes you think that?
    I'd think it's when Shazam showed Billy they chose a champion long ago but it turned out their choice turned out disastrous. The movie just doesn't show exactly why.

Astonishing Member

His form of justice is being an international Punisher. That's what started a civil war with the JSA, Adam made his crew into The Authority for the DCU. It's progress from being a villain he used to be, but it's hardly controversial to point out his form of justice is outside of our scope to judge as right or wrong.