Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Marauders #9 Review Thread with SPOILERS and Discussion

This was quite dense. Long review.

The comic opens up with the preview. After Jean's invitation, Pyro kisses her and they ride off on the Krakoan beach while he sings out loud.

But of course it wasn't real. Emma and Bishop meet in Emma's mindscape, which looks like a theatre. Emma is sitting in front of the stage as the director, rearranging cardboards of Pyro and Jean on stage, showing that she's been making up the illusion of Jean and Pyro in Pyro's mind. She tells Bishop to meet her at the cove (and she also explains that she's recreating the Jean/Pyro illusion from her memories of trash television shows lol).

Bishop does some badass parkour to reach Emma, who is sitting in front of Pyro keeping him still and trapped in the illusion. She explains that she found Yellowjacket and she's now wondering what to do with him. Bishop gives Emma his jacket because she's freezing (he's a cutiepie) and then suggests a plan of action (he's also smart, marry me).

Emma turns off the illusion and Yellowjacket understands he's been discovered. He instantly has his submarine grow bigger and he kills Pyro making him explode from the inside (rather gruesome). Emma is shook and before she can get Yellowjacket he shoots her in the head and kills her. Bishop tries to get him but he's able to escape.

Rather long Datapage: our friend from X_Desk gives a brief explanation of the Madripoor situation. Verendi is not really interested in local governance of the island even though they've bought out the government and probably killed the royal family (I guess it means Tiger Tiger). The local triads are happy to work with them if it means more money and the've also placed Donald Pierce in a diplomatic place as United Nations ambassador. Chen Zhao is also working with them (we've been knew) and she's apparently a central figure in the reorganization of the island's governement.

There's a reference to Pollen and the fact that, even though Krakoan medicines can be turned into narcotics, there's no indication that the mutants have anything to do with it.

The X-Desk also knows about the Arizona Morlock community but they're not worried about them.

The Hellfire Trading Company has also establishing a charity that helps anyone that lives on Earth.

Last bit of info... Emma seems to be preparing for a big party on Krakoa (Tiki Bar opening?).

Back to the comicbook... turns out that the Yellowjacket escape was actually another sofisticated illusion. He's still trapped inside Pyro and the Stepford Cuckoos are keeping him locked and looking inside his head for information., while also erasing his mind. Magneto is also there and he extracts Yellowjacket from Pyro and throws him into the ocean.

Bishop wants to talk with Emma but she says it'd have to wait until Kate is resurrected.
    After that, she and Pyro mirror Destiny and Pyro's scene from HoX: she projects their astral form to the Inner Circle of Verendi in Madripoor and lets Pyro "burn" them psychically. They're actually fine but they felt the same pain that they would have felt if Pyro had really set them on fire. She threatens them not to mess with Krakoa again.

Emma then goes to Arbor Magna, where we find out that Kate cannot be resurrected. They don't know why and Emma is quite down after this. She says she might have to return to her old, darker habits now.

In the end we see Lockheed. He's now fully healed and he brings a piece of fish to the girl that rescued him as a thank you gift, and then he flies away, possibly heading back to Krakoa. They're about to find out about Shaw!

We get Beast's brief about X-Force investigation about Pyro and Yellowjacket. They'll establish a new protocol to telepathically check every mutant that comes to the Island through a ship. The protocol will be like an instant telepathic handshake (like when a cellphone connects to a cell). Beast got an invitation for Emm'as big party.

Overally a lovely issue. Emma, Bishop and Pyro were really nice and got to shine. Nice to see the Cuckoos.
    Last edited by Veitha; 03-04-2020 at 08:09 AM.

Was Cullen aged up? I thought he was like 15-16

Quote Originally Posted by starduck View Post
    Was Cullen aged up? I thought he was like 15-16
    Marauders not Excalibur hahaha yes he was aged up btw

Emma’s outfit was a total shoot!! If I did drag and can sew, I would totally rock this pants dress ensemble!
    Emma Frost, Rogue, Felicia Hardy, Helena Bertinelli, Allison Blaire, Barbara Gordon, Monica Rambeau, Carol Danvers, Illyana Rasputin, Ororo Munroe, Harleen Quinzel, Lorna Dane, Irene Adler, Kate Kane, Rachel Grey Summers, Jean Grey, Diana Prince, Barbara Ann Minerva, Donna Troy, Jennifer Walters, Gwen Stacy, Wanda Maximoff = PERFECTION!

Emma and Bishop is the ship I didnt know I needed

Quote Originally Posted by Salvatore Frost View Post
    I was like KISS KISSS the whole time.

This was a bit messy and I'm not sure all the twists with the telepathic illusion quite worked, but I loved Pyro calling Emma 'mum' and seeing the Cuckoos again. Esme was killing it in the black outfit. Queen! Hope she shows up in her Planet X garb one day.

Quote Originally Posted by nandes View Post
    This was a bit messy and I'm not sure all the twists with the telepathic illusion quite worked, but I loved Pyro calling Emma 'mum' and seeing the Cuckoos again. Esme was killing it in the black outfit. Queen! Hope she shows up in her Planet X garb one day.

The datapage in the middle might have broken off the illusion pace.

Emma really goes around everything Jean touches. Phoenix, Scott and now Bishop?

he belongs with Jean

It wasn't the worst, but I'm really growing tired of the use of Pyro and his lack of depth. He just wants to burn **** up and crack jokes. What about his writing career? What about his death from the Legacy Virus? What about his Brotherhood friends? And it doesn't help that he looks even twinkier than the second Pyro.

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post

he belongs with Jean
    We can have a pentagon instead of a rectangle.

BANNED

I am a little worried about this "Kate is dead" storyline. Because Marauders was supposed to be Kate Pryde's story, and now she's been missing from issues #6-11 at least. It's a truly weird choice in my view. This story should have done three issues tops (like the X-Force Prof. X is dead thing).

I still like it don't get me wrong, but I am kind of worried about the padding of a series of a issues in an X-book without main characters. One-off character pieces looking at others is great but you can't extend that for long.

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post

he belongs with Jean
    Well, Bishop and Jean wont happen anytime soon and Id rather have emma out of that white foursome mess.

Quote Originally Posted by Veitha View Post
    We can have a pentagon instead of a rectangle.
    even dumber. Bishop and Jean alone far more superior
    put Emma with Scott and Logan

Well, Bishop and Jean wont happen anytime soon and Id rather have emma out of that white foursome mess.
    Well writers doesn't let Jean breath and develop to be a popular character.

but that would be fun and cringe Emma going after a Jean ex.
    Last edited by spirit2011; 03-04-2020 at 08:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    I am a little worried about this "Kate is dead" storyline. Because Marauders was supposed to be Kate Pryde's story, and now she's been missing from issues #6-11 at least. It's a truly weird choice in my view. This story should have done three issues tops (like the X-Force Prof. X is dead thing).

I still like it don't get me wrong, but I am kind of worried about the padding of a series of a issues in an X-book without main characters. One-off character pieces looking at others is great but you can't extend that for long.
    Not every story needs the same A-B-C-1-2-3 pacing. It's okay for plot threads to be drawn out if the story is good.