Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Ferro View Post
    I just think its wiser to reverse judgment about X of swords for when it arrives, free comic book day is the first look to it anyways.
    and that mentorship is probably about general concepts and ideas, not the specifics of execution.
    I hope she either uses her Strikeforce writing in Swords or just puts in the ideas. Because I can recognize she's got nice ideas with this whole mutant magic thing, but the execution is just not on the same level of other DoX books.

Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    I don't understand why just because their both gay their had to be a kiss can't they just be friends or have a platonic moment of understanding, like what was the purpose of the kiss..... I feel it only happened because it was 2 gay characters on page together.
    They weren't going to be friends or understand each other because Cullen is (now) prejudiced against mutants.

BANNED

I don't understand why just because their both gay their had to be a kiss can't they just be friends or have a platonic moment of understanding, like what was the purpose of the kiss..... I feel it only happened because it was 2 gay characters on page together.
    Cullen was clearly trying to distract Rictor from catching him plotting. It's happened numerous times with female villains/male hrroes.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Veitha View Post
    I hope she either uses her Strikeforce writing in Swords or just puts in the ideas. Because I can recognize she's got nice ideas with this whole mutant magic thing, but the execution is just not on the same level of other DoX books.
    the words used were that shes working on the bones of story with hickman, but I bet its still going to be hickman writting most of it alongside each DOX writer, but it makes sense she helps with the plot wich she makes good ones, but the execution leaves something to be desired.
    edit: also referenced as tentpoles of the entire story.
    Last edited by Ferro; 03-04-2020 at 02:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tuck frump View Post
    Cullen was clearly trying to distract Rictor from catching him plotting. It's happened numerous times with female villains/male hrroes.
    Yup! That's why Julio hightailed it out of there to warn Betsy about what he heard. Mutant bros before human hoes.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

I mean as it long as it has purpose, just kind of went over my head I guess.. oh well.

I actually think Tini is a really good writer Strikeforce is one of my favorite ongoing at the moment takes time but it always hits it's mark, Excalibur just comes off sloppy in comparison which is weird because it's the one she promotes the most.

Astonishing Member

I actually think Tini is a really good writer Strikeforce is one of my favorite ongoing at the moment takes time but it always hits it's mark, Excalibur just comes off sloppy in comparison which is weird because it's the one she promotes the most.
    all this talk about Tini's Strikeforce makes me considered picking it up considering I like Blade

BANNED

coven akkaba manages to climb up in my hated villains list, I like them so far since their brand of mutant hate is very inderect but still noxious

BANNED

It's unfortunate this book isn't delivering on all fronts because I absolutely adore the cast. I really wish they were all being used to their fullest potential. I feel as if Kelly Thompson had a much better grasp on Rogue & Gambit, and Leah Williams wrote a better Psylocke & Jubilee.

-Inconsistent art that changes between panels before the scene has even played out bothered me. It's clear that Marcus To is the superior penciller here, and I wish it were possible for him to stick with the book throughout.

-I feel as if this sideplot in gathering Warwolf skulls for some magicual ritual was unnecessary and dragged on for much longer than it needed to. I don't think anything significant has happened in the past two issues. I look forward to resuming the more pressing Avalon/Otherworld plot, as that's where the more interesting one. Plus it isn't quite as reliant on Tini Howard nailing all of the characterisation, as the movement of story can override it at times.

-The acknowledgement of Anachronism was a nice touch. It's a shame so many of the Avengers Academy/Arena/Undercover characters fell to the wayside. Cullen indicating that all of the gay superhumans in the 616 keep track of each other felt questionable- that'd be like stating that all of the gay celebrities know each other and actively keep tabs on each other, which I don't think is at all true. And then Cullen kisses Julio. Gross. Not only is he several years younger, but we've also just learnt that this take on the character is questionable. He's anti-mutant and a bit of a bigot. Rictor doesn't need to be putting up with that ****. Either get back with Shattybuns or find someone decent to kiss passionately.

-The X of Swords allusions were a little heavy-handed but they were well timed. I do so look forward to Larraz drawing Betsy & Brian brandishing swords against the enemies of Krakoa, whoever or whatever they might be.

-Marcus To's Apocalypse is beautiful, and he's one of the characters I think Howard aptly characterizes. His dialogue is very fitting, and I continue to enjoy seeing his role in this new world for mutantkind. His acceptance of Betsy's refusal to slay the Warwolf pup was a good indication of growth. The old Poccy would've crushed him right then and there without hesitation.

-Rachel cameos again! Looks like the hound marks are staying hidden. No spikes or capes in sight either. Probably my second favourite scene of the book, just surpassed by Blue Dad.

-I love that Rachel & Betsy acknowledge that Krakoa is an island of women who have been through a lot. The telepathic women of the X-Men seem to have had it particularly rough.

-I swear if Avalanche doesn't own this new Tiki Bar then it's a missed opportunity. I loved that when Utopia was a thing Avalanche had that bar in San Francisco.

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    "As an alternative to MI-13, we are not burdened by many of the same concerns of diversity". I kinda gagged when I read that.
    Yeah oof. Coven Akkaba are yet another anti-mutant group. Crazy that Cullen is getting sucked into that bullshit though given he went to the Braddock Academy which housed mutants. I guess now we know Elsa is the superior Bloodstone.

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post

I guess we know what this means now.
    I think they overestimated Lil' Warwolf. Baby Yoda still wins out.

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    I could get behind Rome Flynn as Gambit & Brandon Flynn as Iceman. I'm not convinced the others are the right fit. I'd go with Elizabeth Gillies as Rogue, Isaiah Mustafa as Bishop, Tom Hardy as Wolverine, Lana Condor as Jubilee and Jessica Henwick as Psylocke.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferro View Post
    coven akkaba manages to climb up in my hated villains list, I like them so far since their brand of mutant hate is very inderect but still noxious
    Agreed. That letter annoyed me in all the right ways.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Can Tini just kill Gambit and get it over with? I haven't seen this much character assassination of Gambit since the Assassin's Guild had a contract on his life.
    It's hard for me to listen to someone not in my position. A caterpillar can't relate to what an eagle envisions.

Astonishing Member

At least he was useful/competent for like two panels in this issue.. so one thing out of many issues...
    Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    The voices felt off to me. There was nothing inherently bad but nothing really interesting here. Rogue and Gambit cute banter fell flat, i'm assuming the "see she is right behind me." was suppose to be all "ohhh he loved his wife..."

The kiss between Rictor and Cullen was a turn off as it just felt like a dude forcing himself on another dude because things are dry in the gay super powered communities. The thirst was real.

Bestsy seemed way to passive and hands off to feel like a leader.

Still waiting on that mutant magic.
    I felt like the ‘see she was right behind me’ line was supposed to be because the ‘war wolf’ that was chasing him was her along and that scene was a fake out. But, true that dialogue hasn’t been a strong point of the book.

Her writing isnt even that terrible,just very unpolished. Hopefully Hickman can help her fix some of her flaws. Im ready to see what the rituals about and for Satyr9 to make her entrance.
    How does the old saying go... Can't polish a TURD!

Quote Originally Posted by remydat View Post
    Can Tini just kill Gambit and get it over with? I haven't seen this much character assassination of Gambit since the Assassin's Guild had a contract on his life.
    He can even accomplish something on this run without being a embarassment? poor gambit