Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Excalibur #8 spoilers & discussion

I keep trying to like this book, but I think my problem isn't really in the premise but the execution. This issue is paced very awkwardly, with the climatic action sequence with Rogue battling Cullen happening pretty much off panel. The transitions from panel to panel also seems very off at times. I like Tini's ideas but I just hope things can improve.

--

Anyway, this isn't much of a plot heavy issue. The team goes to dine with Cullen, as we have seen in the preview, and he suggests that the hunt for the warwolves has to be made without anyone using their powers. Betsy takes the deal initially, but later she and Rictor agree that it's a pretty much lose-or-lose situation since they could be hurt in the hunt or get caught while using their powers to save themselves. The reason why Rictor convinces Betsy to not follow Cullen's rules is because he, while playing in the dirt in the middle of the night (for real), overhears Cullen talking to someone from Coven Akkaba. They also kiss, because why not.

In the hunt, they manage to kill and decapitate the warwolves to get four skulls, with Rogue turning into a warwolf to fight them again. Cullen discovers they are using their powers and gets pissed off, powering up to kill (?) them. Rogue (as a warwolf) defeats him pretty easily, and the team gets the last skull from him, while also discovering a baby warwolf. They decide not to kill the baby (which is the last one of the warwolves) and Betsy takes him to Krakoa, much to Apoc's displeasure, who wanted a full on genocide.

The issue ends with a cute conversation between Betsy and Rachel, hinting at the latter's future role in X-Factor.
    Last edited by nandes; 03-04-2020 at 08:33 AM.

Exactly, the execution kills me. It flows so weirdly.

Also the ending I was like is this the ending? Because it didn't feel like an ending.

I stopped reading this book a long time ago and it looks like I was right to.

Quote Originally Posted by nandes View Post
    I keep trying to like this book, but I think my problem isn't really in the premise but the execution. This issue is paced very awkwardly, with the climatic action sequence with Rogue battling Cullen happening pretty much off panel. The transitions from panel to panel also seems very off at times. I like Tini's ideas but I just hope things can improve.

--

Anyway, this isn't much of a plot heavy issue. The team goes to dine with Cullen, as we have seen in the preview, and he suggests that the hunt for the warwolves has to be made without anyone using their powers. Betsy takes the deal initially, but later she and Rictor agree that it's a pretty much lose-or-lose situation since they could be hurt in the hunt or get caught while using their powers to save themselves. The reason why Rictor convinces Betsy to not follow Cullen's rules is because he, while playing in the dirt in the middle of the night (for real), overhears Cullen talking to someone from Coven Akkaba. They also kiss, because why not.

In the hunt, they manage to get four skulls, with Rogue turning into a warwolf to fight them again. Cullen discovers they are using their powers and gets pissed off. Rogue (as a warwolf) defeats him pretty easily, and the team gets the last skull from him, while also discovering a baby warwolf. They decide not to kill the baby (which is the last one of the warwolves) and Betsy takes him to Krakoa, much to Apoc's displeasure, who wanted a full on genocide.

The issue ends with a cute conversation between Betsy and Rachel, hinting at the latter's future role in X-Factor.
    So they went on a hunt where they exterminated all warwolves there, but kept the last one, a baby, as a pet?
    Am I supposed to praise them for their compassion there, or their daftness? because that's just terrible no matter the angle I look at this.
    Wouldn't blame that baby warwolf to grow up to take revenge on them as a result.
    "The means are as important as the end - we have to do this right or not at all.
    Anything less negates every belief we've ever had, every sacrifice we've ever made."

"Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely."

"No justice, no peace."

I can't say I enjoy it. Something about story feels off, Cullen is weird in comparison with his appearances in AA and AU, the kiss was awful imo. I don’t really feel like the characters I know are there.

Quote Originally Posted by People Of The Earth View Post
    So they went on a hunt where they exterminated all warwolves there, but kept the last one, a baby, as a pet?
    Am I supposed to praise them for their compassion there, or their daftness? because that's just terrible no matter the angle I look at this.
    Wouldn't blame that baby warwolf to grow up to take revenge on them as a result.
    I mean. I can't argue with this. It's just bad hahahah why the hell did they go hunting them like foxes that was also so bad.

BANNED

the baby wolf was interesting, but yeah weakest issue so far, the last Marcus TO pages were the only one needed
    Last edited by Ferro; 03-04-2020 at 08:32 AM.

Great to see Rachel but wow this book is so incoherent.

Someone please save Rogue while she’s still rocking the Jim Lee suit!
    Emma Frost, Rogue, Felicia Hardy, Helena Bertinelli, Allison Blaire, Barbara Gordon, Monica Rambeau, Carol Danvers, Illyana Rasputin, Ororo Munroe, Harleen Quinzel, Lorna Dane, Irene Adler, Kate Kane, Rachel Grey Summers, Jean Grey, Diana Prince, Barbara Ann Minerva, Donna Troy, Jennifer Walters, Gwen Stacy, Wanda Maximoff = PERFECTION!

Marauders is having the fun this book thinks it's having.

Astonishing Member Askani's Flame's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by People Of The Earth View Post
    And why would Rachel of all people take in a Warwolf as a pet as they were created and bred to hunt and retrieve her?? While a cute cameo the adoption doesn't make sense unless it will be a plotpoint in X-Factor when they go to the Mojoverse (which is where the Warwolves are from).

BANNED

this could have been reduced to like one issue , wich is disapointing but oh well, betsy's seetrough nightgown was hilarious however lol

I'm sorry no.

The art was inconsistent. Tini Howard dialogue is still blah.

The pacing is just werid AF.

Why was this even a story arc. This could have been done in on panel.

'Have Apocalypse say he is performing a ritual with the skulls of Warwolves because their essense is strong in magical elements'

But nope we get this unnecessary arc. Yay.

This series isn't fun. It isn't quirky.

It goes from Point A to Point E to Point C to STORY COMPLETE.

I'm really hoping Hickman does most of the heavy lifting in Swords of X (10).

Also the gay kiss was eye roll inducing. And this is coming from a gay dude.

The 'let's take the baby Warwolf' even though we probably killed its parents was a WTF moment.

Also Cullen's not liking mutants all of a sudden was annoying. I think it could have been executed better.

I wish we had Mike Carey on Excalibur.
    Last edited by CGAR; 03-04-2020 at 08:49 AM.

BANNED

this issue should have just started in the betsy/apocalypse scenes and into the ritual

Rachel and Betsy were cute together but thats about it

I'm enjoying the book, but I agree that some of the choices when it comes to focus are just off, and there's a certain lack of self-awareness in most of the cast that I hope is deliberate and comes back to roost later. There's so much colonialism baked into this book, I have a hard time thinking it's not deliberate.

Re: The Warwolves - There was an attempt to handwave the (to put it mildly) problematic aspect of hunting sapient beings for fetch-quest ingredients by implying their time away from Mojoworld had degraded their mental state to that of cunning animals, but, uh... yeah. There's a lot of "uh, what the hell, hero?" packed into that.