Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Bifrost View Post
    I found it interesting, but I also found it hard to believe that Adam's actions in a war on another planet - one that people on Earth know little about, and aren't invested in in any way - would make him such a huge hero on Earth.

I'm guessing that the Pykkts turn out to be the indigenous people of Rann (or, at least, one subgroup of indigenous people of Rann).
    And isn't Adam Strange's deal that he's this cosmic hero on Rann but a nobody on Earth? Which is where the dichomoty of him constantly getting teleported to and from is for.

Mixed feelings on this. I usually like when King does his thing (asides of Batman and Crisis stuff) and he did his thing here, but at this point it does feel a bit repetitive, no pun intended.

As for the story itself, normally I'd be rather sceptical of "hey, remember that fun loving old hero? Well turns out he is a war criminal!" story, but King in most of his works didn't go for simple white/black answers so at least I feel like this story might provoke some thoughts from the readers.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    The book's popularity seems odd to us. But this is a world where superhero battles occur regularly. I can certainly see "tell all" or adventure stories from the heroes as being media the population of DC Earth would flock to. I'm also more inclined to believe actual memoirs from superheros (or villains) to be relatively rare. To me, it was an intelligent observation of what could happen in such a world or King just used the Hollis Mason "Under the Hood" from Watchmen idea.
    Oh, I have no doubt it might be a hugely popular book - especially if Adam Strange has had some adventures with the JLA on Earth that the populace has seen. (Who knows what's in continuity any more?) I just don't think that Earth-humans would be hailing him as some kind of great hero for his actions in a war on another planet, a planet they have no investment in.
    Doctor Bifrost

"If Roy G. Bivolo had seen some B&W pencil sketches, his whole life would have turned out differently." http://doctorbifrost.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Bifrost View Post
    Oh, I have no doubt it might be a hugely popular book - especially if Adam Strange has had some adventures with the JLA on Earth that the populace has seen. (Who knows what's in continuity any more?) I just don't think that Earth-humans would be hailing him as some kind of great hero for his actions in a war on another planet, a planet they have no investment in.
    I was all set to argue that Adam's fame might just be in the book community similar to comic book writer's fame in this world. But the media coverage does speak otherwise and you have a good point.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I'll prolly wait for the TPB.

Astonishing Member

I really like what King is doing especially with the guest star character at the end. Really sold on this book.

I recently re-started watching Showtime's Homeland series, and it makes me appreciate the compatibility of tone between this first issue and that series.

Is smoking in comics popular again. Here we have Alanna smoking and we've also had Lois Lane smoking recently.

Tom King is the greatest author to come to the comic scene in the last decade. His Omega Men and Mister Miracle are fantastic and already this is looking to be another great story. Bravo King, bravo!
    Last edited by Pinsir; 03-07-2020 at 05:20 PM.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Just finished reading it and it was very good
    this type of stories are the forte of King and pretty satisfied by it.
    I understand the comments that this feels repetitive but I feel is more about Style rather than reciclying ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    And isn't Adam Strange's deal that he's this cosmic hero on Rann but a nobody on Earth? Which is where the dichomoty of him constantly getting teleported to and from is for.
    well,he just made a book about it.

also you have to consider that this is many years in the future.