Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Default Superman: Villains issue #1 spoiler discussion

Totally called that Toyman side switch.

The idea that Toyman's whole hate for Superman was based on the assumption and projection that Superman was being condescending, and Toyman coming to the realization that Superman is ultimately just some dude who's out here trying like the rest of us is pretty great. It's comparable to Lex's moment of clarity in All Star Superman, but it's decidedly more character driven in regards to both our hero and villain. I buy that this situation that we never thought we'd see Superman willing go into is ultimately the thing he needed to do to change some hearts and minds. Moreover, I buy that this can only be effective for Clark at this stage in his life.

This was a more focused book than the Heroes special because it had a main story and shorts around it, and that main story--in addition to being beautifully drawn-- is pretty solid. Love seeing Perry, Jim, Lois, and Clark hash this out, and now I'm genuinely wondering what the future of the Daily Planet will be after all is said an done. I mean, they're about to take two very serious blows in the form of Clark's "I'll speak for Earth" and now this.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

I loved Fraction’s bit where Joker leaves Lex 99 messages making fun of him for not figuring out Clark was Supes

Clark asking Perry how it felt to get a raise was funny as well

Interested in seeing where Toyman goes with Checkmate. Kinda bummed we’re losing another Super Rogue but if he gets used better I can’t complain too much. Did Fraction write the Mongul bit? He writes a pretty great Mongul!
    Last edited by Vordan; 03-04-2020 at 05:23 PM.

Eh, they're like six Toyman's, another one can still show up as a villain.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Oh man, this was a fun read. The main plot thread ending with Lois dropping the proverbial mic was just aces. I loved it.

Honestly, that setup got me very excited for the next issues of Superman/Action. I like that we're getting an impulsive, young Mongul who is going to be all the worst aspects of youth in revolt.

Lex's reaction was pretty great. I don't think it's so much that the Joker himself knew as opposed to just knowing how much it bothers Lex that he never figured it out and was handed it to him by Superman. Knowing how much Lex is seething probably makes it all the funnier for Joker.

So Harley wasn't in either book, really. So much for explaining why she's with the Justice League and assorted heroes in the former book.

Don't like Supergirl being in the villains book, but whatever, it's the status quo so long as she's infected so I guess there's that.

Overall, written pretty well for a hype book. I'm excited for what comes next.

Incredible Member magha_regulus's Avatar

The Toyman and Invisible Mafia were the best parts. The rest seemed like messy continuity and it took me out of the story. I do like that we saw Lombard's reaction. I do think this would've been better if it had more villains in it. The Kents should've been in the Heroes story. We should've been able to see Parasite or Metallo or Hank Henshaw's response. Even a Mxyzptlk response would be great, especially with all the continuity reality-warping shenanigans going on of late.

I'd like to add that the moment where someone tries to attack the Daily Planet and Clark opens his shirt to reveal the costume underneath causing the assailant to instantly run away was pretty great. I totally see that happening a lot going forward.

Currently the other shoe has yet to drop, but I do appreciate that it's not the catastrophe that we often worry about. Clark's doing his best to make it work and we're getting some fun moments in a status quo I and many others were against (and still are overall). Bendis and Co are doing a better job with this than I thought possible.

I'd say Clark's "I speak for Earth" moment getting out there is the start of that other shoe dropping.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    I'd say Clark's "I speak for Earth" moment getting out there is the start of that other shoe dropping.
    Sure, but at most it's just raised eyebrows thus far. He hasn't really been punished for his actions yet. That sword of Damacles still hangs high.

To be fair, people *just* found out last issue of Superman, so we haven't seen the fallout yet. I think issue 21 onward will be the start of whatever troubles come with this.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    To be fair, people *just* found out last issue of Superman, so we haven't seen the fallout yet. I think issue 21 onward will be the start of whatever troubles come with this.
    Oh, it's absolutely early for the fallout to start setting in, but I'm definitely in for the ride. Bendis/Fraction/Rucka are killing it.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

All these Superman jam issues have been great so far, from the Leviathan prelude, to these two. The only problem is that the Supergirl section invariably end up being completely skippable.

I gotta say, I absolutely love how casually Bendis, Rucka & Fraction are ignoring the whole Apex Lex nonsense and just pretending he's the same old Lex, who occasionally turns into a White Martian whenever another story requires acknowledging a storyline few seem to like, but are stuck with until Snyder finally wraps up this Depressoverse stuff.

I'm a little miffed about the Supergirl stuff - I thought he told her back in Superman 17. She was clearly cheering in issue 18.

Does BWL's infection affect memory or something?

Astonishing Member

He did tell her in #17 when she was still herself, I think this is the corrupted version now reacting to the reveal. I take it #17 happened before she was infected so this Villain one shot isn't really incorrect.

So the BWL's infection affects memory?

In 18, she cheers the reveal (she's with Krypto).

In Villains she claims not to have known that it was going to happen.

Astonishing Member

I mean if you want to be hung up on the details, it can be a bother but I just see it as something that caught her unawares but was still happy for him when she was herself and now that she is infected she's just generally pissed about everything and any feelings she may have had that were apprehensive about his reveal blindsiding her are now amplified quite a bit.