Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    Have Doom and Kang ever done a DNA test? Because if they can prove that millions of people are descended from Genghis Khan, proving Kang and Doom are related shouldn't be that hard. Mind you, considering how far in the future Kang is from, Doom could literally have millions of descendants by his time .

They proved that 1/8 of the entire Asian population has a common male ancestor going back 800 years...they ASSUME this to be Genghis Khan, because the time/behavior all lines up. But using that technology alone, it would be very hard to prove that one guy is the paternal ancestor of another single individual 1000 years into the future. You have to have multiple people with the same polymorphism to determine the frequency in the population, then count back using the DNA molecular clock to determine how long ago the most recent common ancestor of that polymorphism existed. Just one person on each side of the equation 8snt enough for proof...all you could say is whether or not they have various genetic markers in common or not

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Biclopcicle View Post
    They proved...
    Who is this "they" and where is this proof?

The notion that 1 in something of "the entire Asian population" (need to ask what you mean by Asia there...since the "entire Asian population" is a pretty big number) is descended from Genghis Khan is a pop-fact but it's not something that many serious people set truck with.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Who is this "they" and where is this proof?

The notion that 1 in something of "the entire Asian population" (need to ask what you mean by Asia there...since the "entire Asian population" is a pretty big number) is descended from Genghis Khan is a pop-fact but it's not something that many serious people set truck with.
    The researchers identified a common y-chromosome haplogroup...I'm attaching the abstract from the 2003 article whence this originated. It's more than "pop fact," but whether this is truly Genghis Khan's doing or not is not established scientific fact

And sorry it's 8%, not 1 in 8Screenshot_20200307-151556_Chrome.jpg

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Meh, it feels like Doom, if anything, mows through his obstacles TOO easily. That might work where the theme is man vs. himself, but this is Doom and that theme has been done to death. Even the dead horse is beating the dead horse here. For my money, if this series is going to go the distance, Doom needs to hit an insurmountable wall somewhere. A wall that hits back and leaves him broken and yes, maybe even a little fearful and corralled. And then there should be an even bigger and nastier wall behind that wall. Right now it just feels like they keep serving up aperitifs, instead of the epic meal that we're craving. Just my $0.02. Hopefully, the future issues will deliver the goods.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Coatl View Post
    Liked the issue, the interactions were hilarious, and one thing I enjoying of this is, that this is not one of those cheap attempt make the villain look heroic making others look worse or showing how they are just misunderstood souls, Doom is a men with and idea and a way to live, and he is making no apologies, if someone bothers him that fool will get very damaged or even killed for his naivety, also he doesn't share vagon.

But at same time feels a bit like a filler.

I can't stop asking myself. If Doom is in such hurry to return Latveria and take it back before the Skymiran Government feels too comfortable in his castle, why he didn't fly with Victorious? why he needed to travel by train and horse two of the slowest ways? to a remote place and then find his transport. Isn't his armor able to fly? He can't just travel by air arrive to Latveria in secret and then take the nullifier (who is going to make the fight very short by the way).

I wish that all we have seen and heard in this issue has some kind of weight at the end.

By the way of course Kang can't be dead, he probably would be ok or in the worst case just respawn as when Blue marvel shoot him.
    Yes, I full expect Kang to pop up again. As for why Doom is hitching rides on freight trains, riding horses and now taking a ship I think we were told why. Doom says to Kang at one point we have to travel carefully. Much like Tony Stark, Doom's armor usually is capable of flight. But I think the reason why he is not using it is because he is trying to avoid being picked up on radar, etc. Or maybe the armor Kang brought to him isn't capable of flight

I'm betting this ship that is waiting for him is some kind of tramp steamer filled with more would be assassins. They seem to have no problem tracking him down.

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    Meh, it feels like Doom, if anything, mows through his obstacles TOO easily. That might work where the theme is man vs. himself, but this is Doom and that theme has been done to death. Even the dead horse is beating the dead horse here. For my money, if this series is going to go the distance, Doom needs to hit an insurmountable wall somewhere. A wall that hits back and leaves him broken and yes, maybe even a little fearful and corralled. And then there should be an even bigger and nastier wall behind that wall. Right now it just feels like they keep serving up aperitifs, instead of the epic meal that we're craving. Just my $0.02. Hopefully, the future issues will deliver the goods.
    I can see your point but I think Cantwell is just playing with Doom's long history of always coming back from all sorts of perils since Stan and Jack's days. In issue #6 he should have died in the cold depths of space but we see later that the Ovoids rescue him. Similarly, Rama Tut/Kang just happens to be passing by and sees him clinging to an asteroid in the follow up to him once again being set adrift in the cosmos at the end of FF #23.

I am curious to see a follow up with regarding the situation with Mistress Death. One thing idea that I've been kicking around in my head canon is that for some reason, Doom is important to the some mysterious, unseen forces in the Universe. Sort of like there are Nexus Beings like Wanda throughout the Multiverse but I'm not saying that is his role. In some stories, he's been seen as living far into the future and fulfilling some role either as a destroyer or it's saviour, most recently in Hickman's New Avengers/Secret Wars epic. A later story in Aaron's Thor has him once again surviving in some distant future with the Spirit of Vengeance and the powers of the Sorcerer Supreme. Or maybe it's just that writers like to use Doom a lot

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    I can see your point but I think Cantwell is just playing with Doom's long history of always coming back from all sorts of perils since Stan and Jack's days. In issue #6 he should have died in the cold depths of space but we see later that the Ovoids rescue him. Similarly, Rama Tut/Kang just happens to be passing by and sees him clinging to an asteroid in the follow up to him once again being set adrift in the cosmos at the end of FF #23.

I am curious to see a follow up with regarding the situation with Mistress Death. One thing idea that I've been kicking around in my head canon is that for some reason, Doom is important to the some mysterious, unseen forces in the Universe. Sort of like there are Nexus Beings like Wanda throughout the Multiverse but I'm not saying that is his role. In some stories, he's been seen as living far into the future and fulfilling some role either as a destroyer or it's saviour, most recently in Hickman's New Avengers/Secret Wars epic. A later story in Aaron's Thor has him once again surviving in some distant future with the Spirit of Vengeance and the powers of the Sorcerer Supreme. Or maybe it's just that writers like to use Doom a lot

I like what Cantwell is doing. I don't feel like this is a retread. Doom is yearning for nobility and, can you believe it? Normality. A wife and kids and picnics. Yes of course it would not appeal to him if he didn't save the world at the same time, but this is something new for him, and it's a challenge for him to even accept it! And the Kang mystery just makes it even more intriguing. I'm enjoying this run even more than Infamous. At that point, I was just happy to see Doom in his own series. And let's not forget, that series was supposed to be Doom plus Tony as International Iron Man, but Tony got taken off the table for a time. So it was a bit of a mess. This is planned and executed as such.

Quote Originally Posted by Biclopcicle View Post
    I like what Cantwell is doing. I don't feel like this is a retread. Doom is yearning for nobility and, can you believe it? Normality. A wife and kids and picnics. Yes of course it would not appeal to him if he didn't save the world at the same time, but this is something new for him, and it's a challenge for him to even accept it! And the Kang mystery just makes it even more intriguing. I'm enjoying this run even more than Infamous. At that point, I was just happy to see Doom in his own series. And let's not forget, that series was supposed to be Doom plus Tony as International Iron Man, but Tony got taken off the table for a time. So it was a bit of a mess. This is planned and executed as such.
    I agree with you on Cantwell's trajectory for Doom so far. Like Bendis to some extent, he is trying to show that even though Doom hasn't entirely mended his ways but there is still that curiosity and more than a little longing for the path not taken. He started out saying to Morgan he despised the other Doom he had been seeing in these mysterious "visions". Now we have him talking with deep feelings for these two children that are part of these visions. He is trying to regain the sense of belonging to a family that was taken from him long ago.

I still like that Bendis gave us an honest continuation to Hickman's Secret War ending. I just wish he hadn't left such a mess behind with Amara and as you say his work was originally promoted as a kind of team up with Victor and Tony as International Iron Man. Behind the scenes some changes may have been ordered. We'll never know for sure what went on there. I am realistic enough to accept that some of his classic elements would return....being disfigured, etc. But I like that writers like Cantwell in this series, Gerry Duggan in Savage Avengers and Chip Zdarsky in his MTIO are not going with any moustache twirling villain cliches. I am reserving judgment on Zdarsky's X-Men/Fantastic Four series until I see what happens with Franklin