Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    The only way they could use Steve is if he gets resurrected or they pull a Bucky Barnes with him, which could be interesting. But the problem is what does Steve do then? His whole relationship with Diana is he’s the one who helps her live in Man’s World. If he was born and “died” in WWII he’s not going to be able to do that. That’s not to say inverting the dynamic couldn’t be interesting, that’s what WW1984 seems to be doing after all.
    Exactly. Here the differences in the medium also come to the forefront. Movies are (largely) singleton stories, while comics are much more akin to continuing soap operas. A Steve back from the dead and in a fish out of water situation can certainly be an element of a great story. I'm less sure it works as the basis for a succession of stories.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

I would not be surprised if they eschew WWII Diana having a traditional supporting cast in favor of the JSA serving in that role, so modern day Diana can still have her normal supporting cast.

Unless they've already confirmed Steve was there in WWII...

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I would not be surprised if they eschew WWII Diana having a traditional supporting cast in favor of the JSA serving in that role, so modern day Diana can still have her normal supporting cast.

I believe the practical result of such a stunt would be to write out poor Steve, yet again.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

At some point we just have to admit Steve doesnt work.

Spectacular Member

Except he does work with the good writers. As for him being in WW2 en modern age, in a world filled with immortality, magic, resurection, time travel... it's not a problem at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Manakel View Post
    Except he does work with the good writers. As for him being in WW2 en modern age, in a world filled with immortality, magic, resurection, time travel... it's not a problem at all.
    Then we also have to admit DC wont give WW good writers

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    At some point we just have to admit Steve doesnt work.
    The movie most assuredly proved that Steve can work.

However, he most certainly needs more than a little work, the right writer(s), and an editorial office willing to support it in order to become the character he ought to be. He is also working against a history of poor decisions by prior writers (and I include Rucka and Pérez here).

Some earlier thread discussing Steve, in order to not clutter up this anymore:

Man I didn't realize we talk about Steve so much here!
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    I believe the practical result of such a stunt would be to write out poor Steve, yet again.
    He can be the JSA's secretary.

They would have to seriously compromise her origin for them to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by vasir12 View Post
    They would have to seriously compromise her origin for them to do that.
    I mean, they've messed with it enough as is, haven't they?

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

We do have those Jim Lee covers for her anniversary that show a classic Holliday Girl Etta Candy. I'm not sure if that wasn't just an all encompassing homage to all her eras, or an indication of what we could expect from this status quo. So maybe we will get OG Etta in the Golden Age and the modern one will be her descendant? We also have the timeline leak confirming Priscilla Rich will be around as the first Cheetah, though who knows what's up with that now.

I don't have much interest in this happening, but if it needs to, I want them to go all out with it. I want full Golden Age adventures back with Steve, Etta, Darnell, Paula von Gunther, Villiany Inc, etc. I don't care about the JSA at all, but if we get OG Wonder Woman back with all her trappings I will be slightly less annoyed with Year One being jettisoned.

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    Then we also have to admit DC wont give WW good writers
    That's pretty much unanimous among fandom at this point. More that they rarely give her good writers, and don't follow up on their stuff when they do. Steve is rarely used well in comics regardless of the era, but the movie flies in the face of the "Steve is a bad/useless character" comments. Ditto the good stories we get for the Amazons, Etta, Cheetah, etc. If there is at least one, they aren't a complete lost cause. Not even Donna, hot mess that she is.

I honestly don't think the problem is with Steve or the lack of good writers. Pre-crisis Steve was a useless bore, but Greg Rucka made him interesting and competent and he remained so until GWW. The main issue I have with the title is the revolving door of artists, I'm happy with Steve Orlando so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Why does she even need to be involved with the JSA at all?
    Maybe because she was. Wonder Woman was, well, not quite a founding member of the JSA; but an early joiner. And for most of the team's Golden Age adventures, she was an active participant — unlike Superman and Batman, who were honorary members who might show up once in a while but we're mostly hands off.

So yeah; I have no problem with Wonder Woman being in the original Justice Society.
    Rogue wears rouge.
    Angel knows all the angles.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Sans secretary stories (which are embarrassing, but still not sure if they were permanent or long lasting?) I'd love Diana to be on the JSA. On Earth-2, like it actually was, with Superman and Batman as contemporaries even if they weren't regular members. Then we could also have Lyta Trevor with her original origin. They always just needed to write better stories for her, not mess with basic set ups.

I actually think the post-Crisis era and beyond has done worse for Diana and her association with the JLA than the pre-COIE stuff did. I have the first Silver Age paperback omnibus and one of the Bronze Age hardcovers, and neither is as bad in their treatment of her as you'd expect, if at all. I think the worst thing is the fallout from the secret agent Diana Prince crap, but that came from her own book.