View Poll Results: Should Wanda Maximoff (Scarlet Witch) stand trial for her role in House of M ?

Voters
95. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

27 28.42%
  • No

68 71.58%
Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixThanos View Post
    The Crucible is a very brutal way to have to go through to get their mutant powers back, this Wanda is responsible for.
    Many crimes have been brought back to the surface after many years in limbo.
    I hope Hickman covers this in future storylines.
    First, when Scarlet Witch offered to give mutants their power back Cyclops refused, Second, all it requires is a person dying to be reborn. The Crucible is a ritual created by Apocalypse to indoctrinate mutants, it's unnecessary. Blame Apocalypse who created it and the Quiet Council who made it law.

Scarlet Witch~4~LIFE!!^_^ CJStriker's Avatar

Lightbulb

While I could think of abit of a story of how this might play out, my overall opinion right now even storywise is;

Just by the laws of Krakoa alone they don’t interfere with the rights of other earth beings, they only concern themselves with trails and courts dealing with mutants soloy.
    "By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS! I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC! Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE! Let The CALL Go Forth -- AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2023!

No way keep Wanda away from the xbooks. It’s best for everyone that the character is no longer a mutant and no longer attached the franchise. Besides people like sinister are given a free pass so putting Wanda on trial would be hypocritical.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixThanos View Post
    The Crucible is a very brutal way to have to go through to get their mutant powers back, this Wanda is responsible for.
    Many crimes have been brought back to the surface after many years in limbo.
    I hope Hickman covers this in future storylines.
    The Crucible is part of Apocalypse's Survival of the Fittest beliefs and he thought of the whole idea . If you want your powers back, you have to prove you are worthy enough to get them back. Wanda is not responsible for the Crucible, Apocalypse and the Krakoan council are. Wanda offer a chance to repower mutants, but she could only do it one at a time and only if the mutant wanted them back, and the X-men said nope, not good enough. Now they are doing the same thing Wanda offered but in a more inhumane manner.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by leokearon View Post
    The Crucible is part of Apocalypse's Survival of the Fittest beliefs and he thought of the whole idea . If you want your powers back, you have to prove you are worthy enough to get them back. Wanda is not responsible for the Crucible, Apocalypse and the Krakoan council are. Wanda offer a chance to repower mutants, but she could only do it one at a time and only if the mutant wanted them back, and the X-men said nope, not good enough. Now they are doing the same thing Wanda offered but in a more inhumane manner.

"By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS! I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC! Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE! Let The CALL Go Forth -- AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2023!

Lightbulb

Astonishing Member

I think Bendis is the one who should stand trial!

No, she's not longer a mutant.

Just keep her away from Krakoa and all that

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

If all the mutants who have killed and maimed others can be forgiven on Krakoa then they have no right to judge Wanda. Sinister and the Mauraders slaughtered the Morlocks but they are all forgiven and given positions of power in this new mutant utopia. Magento has a body count probably in the hundreds. Apocalyopse in the thousands. Mystique, Sabertooth, the Brotherhood, and so many others have killed over and over but Wanda is the evil one for one freak out in a mental breakdown. If the mutants are willing to let all the murdering mutants on Krakao be judged in human courts then they can have Wanda.

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    Wanda should be back on the Avengers roster where she belongs. Then if they want to do an X-Men crossover, knock themselves out. But as things currently stand in the comics, Doom was responsible for M-Day (an explanation that has holes but not as many holes as Wanda being responsible) and most of the X-Men have indicated by word or deed that they have no interest in treating her as an enemy.

So I guess the answer is "yes if it's a story about Wanda" and "no if it's a story about M-day, which nobody cares about any more."
    I too, look at the circumstances of Children’s Crusade and how it all evolved. Let’s look at the whole thread of House of M happening:

It started when Wanda had children in an Avengers story and Wanda was mindwiped that she had these kids by none other than Agatha Harkness, to forget. That’s issue 1

One day, in Avengers Disassembled, Janet van Dyke happened to remind Wanda she thought she had two kids. Wanda went and asked Agatha about this, and when Agatha said she thought Wanda was over this obsession with kids, Wanda turned Agatha into a dried up husk of a corpse. That’s issue 2.

So Wanda, wishing to increase her Chaos powers, (either to get her kids back, or, to unleash holy retribution against all super heroes), asked for Dooms help to boost her powers, to which Doom agreed, and, not knowing what Wanda had to do for Doom in trade, Wanda became a reality worper. That’s issue 3.

Then Wanda proceeded to unleash her anger on everybody, Doom included, because she was obsessed with revenge, and caused Doom to attack the FF, Reed Richards obsessively to take over Latvaria, Thor to be ravaged by Ragnarok, Fury to assassinate the Latverian PM, Avengers Disassembled, and in full mania, House of M. That’s issue 4.

Now, I’m not too sure if the Avengers were at fault for causing Wanda to forget her children, or, Wanda, for reaching out to Doom, but I think it’s ambiguous enough that we recognise the Super Heroes were all conspiritually at fault, not just Wanda. I think there are enough factors to mitigate Wanda not being alone in House of M.

That’s if I were a lawyer.
    Last edited by jackolover; 03-05-2020 at 07:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ibara View Post
    Apocalypse, Sinister, Jean...etc. All have committed crimes against mutantdom. Under their laws they have been absolved. If she is/was considered a mutant then they wouldn't put her under trial and if she isn't they don't have a right to put her under trial at all. So...she's water and they're a bridge.
    lol of course...when bringing up crimes Wanda did, in a thread about her...lets strawman the arguement to talk about an off topic char

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    I too, look at the circumstances of Children’s Crusade and how it all evolved. Let’s look at the whole thread of House of M happening:

It started when Wanda had children
    Errr she never had kids
    GrindrStone(D)

It started when Wanda had children in an Avengers story and Wanda was mindwiped that she had these kids by none other than Agatha Harkness, to forget. That’s issue 1

One day, in Avengers Disassembled, Janet van Dyke happened to remind Wanda she thought she had two kids. Wanda went and asked Agatha about this, and when Agatha said she thought Wanda was over this obsession with kids, Wanda turned Agatha into a dried up husk of a corpse. That’s issue 2.

So Wanda, wishing to increase her Chaos powers, (either to get her kids back, or, to unleash holy retribution against all super heroes), asked for Dooms help to boost her powers, to which Doom agreed, and, not knowing what Wanda had to do for Doom in trade, Wanda became a reality worper. That’s issue 3.

Then Wanda proceeded to unleash her anger on everybody, Doom included, because she was obsessed with revenge, and caused Doom to attack the FF, Reed Richards obsessively to take over Latvaria, Thor to be ravaged by Ragnarok, Fury to assassinate the Latverian PM, Avengers Disassembled, and in full mania, House of M. That’s issue 4.

Now, I’m not too sure if the Avengers were at fault for causing Wanda to forget her children, or, Wanda, for reaching out to Doom, but I think it’s ambiguous enough that we recognise the Super Heroes were all conspiritually at fault, not just Wanda. I think there are enough factors to mitigate Wanda not being alone in House of M.

That’s if I were a lawyer.
    Wanda had been made temporarily to forget about her kids. She had remembered sometime later and dealt with the loss. That was 15 years before Disassembled. Jan didn't cause that. That was Bendis not reading the whole story.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    lol of course...when bringing up crimes Wanda did, in a thread about her...lets strawman the arguement to talk about an off topic char

Errr she never had kids
    She did, until Byrne wanted them erased.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    If all the mutants who have killed and maimed others can be forgiven on Krakoa then they have no right to judge Wanda. Sinister and the Mauraders slaughtered the Morlocks but they are all forgiven and given positions of power in this new mutant utopia. Magento has a body count probably in the hundreds. Apocalyopse in the thousands. Mystique, Sabertooth, the Brotherhood, and so many others have killed over and over but Wanda is the evil one for one freak out in a mental breakdown. If the mutants are willing to let all the murdering mutants on Krakao be judged in human courts then they can have Wanda.
    It’s an interesting point.

But I wonder how mutants see the House of M? Was it Genocide? Like all the mutant hate groups always wanted? To get rid of mutants? If mutants see Wanda’s actions to remove mutant powers as similar to say, the drug that removes powers which was a thing around Initiative I think, then is it a spiritual thing to have eliminated what a person is on M day?

Extraordinary Member

Just a note here, there is some ambiguity about what happened to Agatha.

Actually, Brian Bendis and Tom Brevoort said explicitly that that wasn't what happened. The idea in that scene was that Agatha had been dead for years and that every time we saw her since the '90s at least, it was Wanda subconsciously creating an illusion of her.

This is what Strange meant when he said (in "Avengers Disassembled") that there is no such thing as chaos magic. It was Agatha who told Wanda, in Busiek's run, that her powers were actually chaos magic. But no one saw or heard Agatha in those scenes except Wanda. (Which actually makes me wonder if those scenes were setting up a possible reveal that it wasn't really Agatha, and it just never happened until Disassembled.) And when Agatha was revealed to be dead, it meant those scenes were Wanda's magical delusion.

But because the scene was so confusingly written/drawn, many people thought Wanda killed Agatha and this has actually found its way into several comics. So the original intent may not even matter any more.