View Poll Results: Should Wanda Maximoff (Scarlet Witch) stand trial for her role in House of M ?

Voters
69. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    18 26.09%
  • No

    51 73.91%
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 195
  1. #76

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ichijinijisanji View Post
    can i get a source on that "millions of mutants would disqualify their minority status" thing by quesada?
    Here's one of the sources: https://icv2.com/articles/comics/vie...o-more-mutants
    Was Curlytop

  2. #77
    Astonishing Member PwrdOn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,816

    Default

    I can sort of understand the idea behind it, that without some kind of clear editorial mandate, writers would just make every random character into a mutant just to make them more special, and artists would just be drawing mutants in the background of every scene and what not. However, that just means that the editors don't really know how to do their jobs and need to resort to extreme measures just to clean up a fairly minor detail, which has a fairly dramatic impact on the X-Men as a franchise because, combined with the cinematic movie rights issue, it effectively put all mutants in their own little bubble separate from the greater Marvel universe, to the point where many readers just forgot that they even existed at all. I mean, for a decent couple of decades there, the X-Men were far more popular and well-known than the Avengers and other "mainstream" Marvel heroes, but that has totally flipped now and they could hardly be less relevant to pop culture. Maybe when the MCU X-Men films come out that will start to change, but I don't even know if Disney wants to mess with all that, since the superhero space might be reaching a saturation point and if they can just get like Wolverine and Dark Phoenix in there they don't really need the rest of them.

  3. #78

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by leokearon View Post
    He probably just looked at Bendis's numbers and left it at that
    That works too I guess.

    I did not remember Bendis giving any numbers myself, only Morrison's 16 & 32 million and then later on the 198 after M-day.

  4. #79
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    6,699

    Default

    I dislike anything that punishes a character for something that is obviously editorially driven, or a complete misunderstanding of the character.

    What happened to Wanda was both

  5. #80
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    1,234

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post

  6. #81
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    7,412

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bunch of Coconuts View Post
    Calling out hypocrisy and double standards is always appropriate.
    True that.

    Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    The other characters' misdeeds are related to Wanda's by similarity, so it's still relative to the subject.
    Indeed. The point is that the crap Wanda did while mentally unbalanced is easily matched by characters who can’t claim any such defence. How can you possibly put Wanda on trial and give Emma Frost a free pass? It’s beyond ridiculous.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

    “The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

  7. #82
    Tyrant Sun User leokearon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Waterford, Ireland
    Posts
    2,672

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by myownlittleusername View Post
    That works too I guess.

    I did not remember Bendis giving any numbers myself, only Morrison's 16 & 32 million and then later on the 198 after M-day.
    The figures kept bouncing, Bendis mentioned a million or more mutants were depowerd by M-Day during the Collective storyline. Other stories seem to mention that is was rough 92% of all mutants were depowered and others suggest that the 198 was actually quite a low estimate and there were probably more mutants around. Either way millions of mutants have literally just vanished and the X-Men don't seem to care
    Check out my Deviantart Page: http://leokearon.deviantart.com/

    Author of "The Saga of the Déise"

  8. #83
    Incredible Member ARkadelphia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    896

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Busiek View Post
    No, it was established that her mutant power would have been just energy-wielding, but she was linked at birth to chaos magic. That's the kind of energy she wields.

    When it exists, at least. Chaos magic is not orderly, and can apparently fool even Doctor Strange at times.
    Chaos magic is, Er, chaotic like that I guess.
    “The Scarlet Witch is the only thing that will scare them. It’s the only thing they’ll respect.” - Hope Summers, Avengers vs X-Men #7

  9. #84
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,701

    Default

    It would be amusing to see some idiots be inspired by one of Exodus’ fireside chats be inspired to try attack/capture/kill Wanda and have her put the fear of death back in them

  10. #85
    Extraordinary Member BroHomo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,144

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by king of hybrids View Post
    It would be amusing to see some idiots be inspired by one of Exodus’ fireside chats be inspired to try attack/capture/kill Wanda and have her put the
    fear of death back in them
    The lil kids???

    smdh
    Last edited by BroHomo; 03-09-2020 at 12:04 AM.
    GrindrStone(D)

  11. #86
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,701

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    The lil kids???

    smdh
    I was more thinking the older ones in Akademos, like the Morrison kids who got depowered and/or killed when Marvel whirred up the woodchipper

  12. #87
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    7,412

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by leokearon View Post
    The figures kept bouncing, Bendis mentioned a million or more mutants were depowerd by M-Day during the Collective storyline. Other stories seem to mention that is was rough 92% of all mutants were depowered and others suggest that the 198 was actually quite a low estimate and there were probably more mutants around. Either way millions of mutants have literally just vanished and the X-Men don't seem to care
    Is that a surprise?

    Millions of non-mutant civilians have been killed in countless crossover events, and the Avengers still bounce into battle cracking jokes.

    Then afterwards they retire to whatever super luxurious fortress they are in this year and have sex with each other.

    On the evidence, Super heroes don’t really care that much about the nameless masses. Oh sure, they will fly in and protect them where they can, but they aren’t emotionally affected by the ones they don’t save, unless they actually know them personally. They just go back their regularly scheduled programming until the next big mass death causing disaster.
    Last edited by brettc1; 03-09-2020 at 03:16 AM.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

    “The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

  13. #88
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    1,234

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    Is that a surprise?

    Millions of non-mutant civilians have been killed in countless crossover events, and the Avengers still bounce into battle cracking jokes.

    Then afterwards they retire to whatever super luxurious fortress they are in this year and have sex with each other.

    On the evidence, Super heroes don’t really care that much about the nameless masses. Oh sure, they will fly in and protect them where they can, but they aren’t emotionally affected by the ones they don’t save, unless they actually know them personally. They just go back their regularly scheduled programming until the next big mass death causing disaster.
    whenever they care, it ends in stuff resembling police states

    heroes are portrayed as reactive most of the time, and any proactive measure is portrayed as ultimately resulting in civil war type events (like with stamford), with the proactive side going way too far.

    like 9/11 affecting due process and privacy in america

    can you imagine the guilt of slorenia, and thousands of cities destroyed constantly weighing on the heroes? What would they do? How would they react, or act?

    However, about the x-men, genosha weighs quite heavily on them and wanda was accused of genocide under the same emotional burden of loss. Honestly the x-books have been pretty grim for over a decade, with the threat of extinction looming over them, and the joking around feeling like trying to bring some happiness under that black cloud (over which the school was split up)
    Last edited by Ichijinijisanji; 03-09-2020 at 04:12 AM.

  14. #89
    Incredible Member Force de Phenix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    862

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post
    I can sort of understand the idea behind it, that without some kind of clear editorial mandate, writers would just make every random character into a mutant just to make them more special, and artists would just be drawing mutants in the background of every scene and what not. However, that just means that the editors don't really know how to do their jobs and need to resort to extreme measures just to clean up a fairly minor detail, which has a fairly dramatic impact on the X-Men as a franchise because, combined with the cinematic movie rights issue, it effectively put all mutants in their own little bubble separate from the greater Marvel universe, to the point where many readers just forgot that they even existed at all. I mean, for a decent couple of decades there, the X-Men were far more popular and well-known than the Avengers and other "mainstream" Marvel heroes, but that has totally flipped now and they could hardly be less relevant to pop culture. Maybe when the MCU X-Men films come out that will start to change, but I don't even know if Disney wants to mess with all that, since the superhero space might be reaching a saturation point and if they can just get like Wolverine and Dark Phoenix in there they don't really need the rest of them.
    They've had 1 movie come out once every 2 years for the past 20 years, 3 solo cartoons, video games, toys, comics. How can you say they're less relevant to pop culture?

  15. #90
    Incredible Member Force de Phenix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    862

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    The fact that they had House of M four years before Disney bought Marvel (2009), and E for Extinction in 2001, makes those arguments of Marvel downplaying the X-Men because of the MCU/Disney sound irrational. Especially since AVX brought back mutants in the midst of the spike of the MCU. And people act like these ELE never happened to the X-Men since Days of Future Past

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •