View Poll Results: Should Wanda Maximoff (Scarlet Witch) stand trial for her role in House of M ?

Voters
95. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

27 28.42%
  • No

68 71.58%
Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Ichijinijisanji View Post
    can i get a source on that "millions of mutants would disqualify their minority status" thing by quesada?
    Here's one of the sources: https://icv2.com/articles/comics/vie...o-more-mutants
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

BANNED

I can sort of understand the idea behind it, that without some kind of clear editorial mandate, writers would just make every random character into a mutant just to make them more special, and artists would just be drawing mutants in the background of every scene and what not. However, that just means that the editors don't really know how to do their jobs and need to resort to extreme measures just to clean up a fairly minor detail, which has a fairly dramatic impact on the X-Men as a franchise because, combined with the cinematic movie rights issue, it effectively put all mutants in their own little bubble separate from the greater Marvel universe, to the point where many readers just forgot that they even existed at all. I mean, for a decent couple of decades there, the X-Men were far more popular and well-known than the Avengers and other "mainstream" Marvel heroes, but that has totally flipped now and they could hardly be less relevant to pop culture. Maybe when the MCU X-Men films come out that will start to change, but I don't even know if Disney wants to mess with all that, since the superhero space might be reaching a saturation point and if they can just get like Wolverine and Dark Phoenix in there they don't really need the rest of them.

Quote Originally Posted by leokearon View Post
    He probably just looked at Bendis's numbers and left it at that
    That works too I guess.

I did not remember Bendis giving any numbers myself, only Morrison's 16 & 32 million and then later on the 198 after M-day.

Ultimate Member

I dislike anything that punishes a character for something that is obviously editorially driven, or a complete misunderstanding of the character.

What happened to Wanda was both

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bunch of Coconuts View Post
    Calling out hypocrisy and double standards is always appropriate.
    True that.

The other characters' misdeeds are related to Wanda's by similarity, so it's still relative to the subject.
    Indeed. The point is that the crap Wanda did while mentally unbalanced is easily matched by characters who can’t claim any such defence. How can you possibly put Wanda on trial and give Emma Frost a free pass? It’s beyond ridiculous.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by myownlittleusername View Post
    That works too I guess.

I did not remember Bendis giving any numbers myself, only Morrison's 16 & 32 million and then later on the 198 after M-day.
    The figures kept bouncing, Bendis mentioned a million or more mutants were depowerd by M-Day during the Collective storyline. Other stories seem to mention that is was rough 92% of all mutants were depowered and others suggest that the 198 was actually quite a low estimate and there were probably more mutants around. Either way millions of mutants have literally just vanished and the X-Men don't seem to care

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Busiek View Post
    No, it was established that her mutant power would have been just energy-wielding, but she was linked at birth to chaos magic. That's the kind of energy she wields.

When it exists, at least. Chaos magic is not orderly, and can apparently fool even Doctor Strange at times.
    Chaos magic is, Er, chaotic like that I guess.
    “Generally, one knows me before hating me” -Quicksilver

Astonishing Member

It would be amusing to see some idiots be inspired by one of Exodus’ fireside chats be inspired to try attack/capture/kill Wanda and have her put the fear of death back in them

Quote Originally Posted by king of hybrids View Post
    It would be amusing to see some idiots be inspired by one of Exodus’ fireside chats be inspired to try attack/capture/kill Wanda and have her put the
    fear of death back in them
    The lil kids???

smdh
    Last edited by BroHomo; 03-09-2020 at 12:04 AM.
    GrindrStone(D)

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    The lil kids???

smdh
    I was more thinking the older ones in Akademos, like the Morrison kids who got depowered and/or killed when Marvel whirred up the woodchipper

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by leokearon View Post
    The figures kept bouncing, Bendis mentioned a million or more mutants were depowerd by M-Day during the Collective storyline. Other stories seem to mention that is was rough 92% of all mutants were depowered and others suggest that the 198 was actually quite a low estimate and there were probably more mutants around. Either way millions of mutants have literally just vanished and the X-Men don't seem to care
    Is that a surprise?

Millions of non-mutant civilians have been killed in countless crossover events, and the Avengers still bounce into battle cracking jokes.

Then afterwards they retire to whatever super luxurious fortress they are in this year and have sex with each other.

On the evidence, Super heroes don’t really care that much about the nameless masses. Oh sure, they will fly in and protect them where they can, but they aren’t emotionally affected by the ones they don’t save, unless they actually know them personally. They just go back their regularly scheduled programming until the next big mass death causing disaster.
    Last edited by brettc1; 03-09-2020 at 03:16 AM.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    Is that a surprise?

Millions of non-mutant civilians have been killed in countless crossover events, and the Avengers still bounce into battle cracking jokes.

Then afterwards they retire to whatever super luxurious fortress they are in this year and have sex with each other.

On the evidence, Super heroes don’t really care that much about the nameless masses. Oh sure, they will fly in and protect them where they can, but they aren’t emotionally affected by the ones they don’t save, unless they actually know them personally. They just go back their regularly scheduled programming until the next big mass death causing disaster.
    whenever they care, it ends in stuff resembling police states

heroes are portrayed as reactive most of the time, and any proactive measure is portrayed as ultimately resulting in civil war type events (like with stamford), with the proactive side going way too far.

like 9/11 affecting due process and privacy in america

can you imagine the guilt of slorenia, and thousands of cities destroyed constantly weighing on the heroes? What would they do? How would they react, or act?

However, about the x-men, genosha weighs quite heavily on them and wanda was accused of genocide under the same emotional burden of loss. Honestly the x-books have been pretty grim for over a decade, with the threat of extinction looming over them, and the joking around feeling like trying to bring some happiness under that black cloud (over which the school was split up)
    Last edited by Ichijinijisanji; 03-09-2020 at 04:12 AM.

Astonishing Member Force de Phenix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post
    I can sort of understand the idea behind it, that without some kind of clear editorial mandate, writers would just make every random character into a mutant just to make them more special, and artists would just be drawing mutants in the background of every scene and what not. However, that just means that the editors don't really know how to do their jobs and need to resort to extreme measures just to clean up a fairly minor detail, which has a fairly dramatic impact on the X-Men as a franchise because, combined with the cinematic movie rights issue, it effectively put all mutants in their own little bubble separate from the greater Marvel universe, to the point where many readers just forgot that they even existed at all. I mean, for a decent couple of decades there, the X-Men were far more popular and well-known than the Avengers and other "mainstream" Marvel heroes, but that has totally flipped now and they could hardly be less relevant to pop culture. Maybe when the MCU X-Men films come out that will start to change, but I don't even know if Disney wants to mess with all that, since the superhero space might be reaching a saturation point and if they can just get like Wolverine and Dark Phoenix in there they don't really need the rest of them.
    They've had 1 movie come out once every 2 years for the past 20 years, 3 solo cartoons, video games, toys, comics. How can you say they're less relevant to pop culture?

Astonishing Member Force de Phenix's Avatar

The fact that they had House of M four years before Disney bought Marvel (2009), and E for Extinction in 2001, makes those arguments of Marvel downplaying the X-Men because of the MCU/Disney sound irrational. Especially since AVX brought back mutants in the midst of the spike of the MCU. And people act like these ELE never happened to the X-Men since Days of Future Past