Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Quote Originally Posted by norj View Post
    There is still the possibility of us finding alien life in this solar system, the moons of Jupiter for example.
    Yes. Didn't they just find a piece of meteorite with extraterrestrial protein?
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by DanMad1977 View Post
    Okay, i will try harder.

I don't think there is a lifeforms like us humans in the universe. They may be very very different. Most of the other life forms in the universe are smaller than us, cannot think like we do and live like amoeba or something.

There is life, but I still think we are the only life form who is aware of their own death, If you know what I mean.
    Unique, interesting word.

Including us, there were at least 21 species of 'Humans'. Out of those 21, only one, Homo Sapiens, survived.

If 21 species of 'humans' could evolve on this planet, there is no reason why at least one intelligent species can't evolve on another planet.

Oh, and don't think that other mammals aren't self-aware. Science has already shown a level of intelligence, emotion, and empathy among some that is not so far off from what our earliest ancestors had.

A planet rarely can sustain more than one highly evolved species, considering how we use up resources like they were infinite (they're not). If we weren't here, then one of the others would have. Maybe dolphins, or felines, or another linage of primates, who knows?
    Last edited by Tami; 03-07-2020 at 07:43 AM.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Octopi are really smart. They also have a unique genome to any other species on earth.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    I think we are all just stating our assumptions, understanding that it is all a guess. We know it it an unknown.

One of the bits of evidence I go by, based on a data set of one , is that the Earth is about 4.5 billion years old and life has been here at least for 3.5 billion. So life formed early on the Earth. It leads me to think life is a more natural occurrence on Earthlike planets.
    Yes, but from that first occurrence of simple life to intelligent beings like us (or even the dinosaurs) it took many additional billions of years. Which indicates that it happens rarely, or if it's inevitable, that it at least requires the planet and its solar system to be relatively stable for a long time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolut...istory_of_life

Quote Originally Posted by myownlittleusername View Post
    Yes, but from that first occurrence of simple life to intelligent beings like us (or even the dinosaurs) it took many additional billions of years. Which indicates that it happens rarely, or if it's inevitable, that it at least requires the planet and its solar system to be relatively stable for a long time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolut...istory_of_life
    I think the questions of life elsewhere a and how evolved that life might be are separate question.

I think the questions of life elsewhere a and how evolved that life might be are separate question.
    Of course, but I thought we were referring to aliens capable of a technological civilization here.

Boisterously Confused

We were talking about a planet that knows we are here, but doesn't contact us. There could be many planets with life that don't have technology like ours.
    Alternatively, it may a be a matter of distance. Like us, extra-terrestial life may be aware of our planet, as we are of theirs, but - if like us - they are constrained by the speed of light, we may be centuries receiving any sign of their interest. Who knows, even now a signal may be coming towards us.

Quote Originally Posted by myownlittleusername View Post
    Of course, but I thought we were referring to aliens capable of a technological civilization here.
    I think we are talking about both.

The most popular scientific analysis is that given the right circumstances occurring, life is possible on other planets. With the great number of other planets out there, the belief is that the necessary roll of the dice will come up. As for intelligent life, that's only a smaller probability and the same basic rules apply. Refer to the Drake equation even with undefined percentages comes out non-zero in many cases. Compound that a few billion (or more) times and boom. Probably.

As for if these aliens visited us, there are some legitimate questions that need explaining beyond current traditional thought. But there is a lot of bullshit made to fill out multiple seasons of Ancient Aliens. And nothing I've seen is proof.

Considering we haven’t explored the vastness of space entirely, and probably never will either, I think it’s safe to say yes they do.