Fantastic Member

Default Is the Designer supposed to be...

... Moriarty?

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Marvelman View Post
    ... Moriarty?
    Definitely gave off that kind of vibe, could also be Ra's Al Ghul especially with the whole resurrection plot.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Definitely gave off that kind of vibe, could also be Ra's Al Ghul especially with the whole resurrection plot.
    Is resurrection confirmed?

I was wondering if the defeated/disgraced detective-foe could have assumed the Designer identity.

Fantastic Member

I can agree with the Dr Moriarty theory though joker did kill him and I think the joker stole the plans the others made and is using them or one of the original designers underlings well that is my theory on that

I saw him as a pastiche or homage to Moriarty than the man himself.

My headcanon is the detective he(?) mentions was the Crimson Avenger or Slam Bradley etc.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I saw him as a pastiche or homage to Moriarty than the man himself.

My headcanon is the detective he(?) mentions was the Crimson Avenger or Slam Bradley etc.
    Given that they were fighting with swords, I thought the detective was Headmaster Hammer from Gotham Academy, and that the "death of the detective" Designer was talking about was metaphorical.
    I'm currently reading Batman, Detective Comics, DCeased: Dead Planet, Dark Knights: Death Metal, Daredevil, Thor, Nightwing, The Rise of Ultraman and Red Hood and The Outlaws. I'm also trade-waiting the Hickman-era of X-Men comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Westbats View Post
    Given that they were fighting with swords, I thought the detective was Headmaster Hammer from Gotham Academy, and that the "death of the detective" Designer was talking about was metaphorical.
    I never read it but sure.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Westbats View Post
    That would be an awesome connection. Man, I miss that book.

spatterdasher

I'll toss out a conspiracy theory.

The Designer's great nemesis is meant to be Holmes' predecessor, the origin of all detective fiction: Edgar Allan Poe's Dupin.

We don't know how Dupin's career ended, but in his final story the villain is a man only ever named as D--. Dupin describes D-- as a poet and a mathematician, with a mind that is both creative and logical. The story ends with the mocking victory message that Dupin leaves for D-- after outwitting him:

"Un dessein si funeste, S'il n'est digne d'Atree, est digne de Thyeste."
    (If such a sinister design isn't worthy of Atreus, it is worthy of Thyestes)

Atreus and Thyestes fit in well with the Designer's Greek underworld aesthetic, and their myth is about two brothers constantly scheming against each other and escalating their schemes until the whole kingdom goes to ****. This all happened because of a curse on the House of Atreus starting with their forebearer Tantalus, whose punishment for his crimes against the gods was to be cast into Tartarus for eternity.

This is probably all just coincidence. But I like finding coincidences.

Quote Originally Posted by spatterdasher View Post

The Designer's great nemesis is meant to be Holmes' predecessor, the origin of all detective fiction: Edgar Allan Poe's Dupin.

We don't know how Dupin's career ended, but in his final story the villain is a man only ever named as D--. Dupin describes D-- as a poet and a mathematician, with a mind that is both creative and logical. The story ends with the mocking victory message that Dupin leaves for D-- after outwitting him:

Atreus and Thyestes fit in well with the Designer's Greek underworld aesthetic, and their myth is about two brothers constantly scheming against each other and escalating their schemes until the whole kingdom goes to ****. This all happened because of a curse on the House of Atreus starting with their forebearer Tantalus, whose punishment for his crimes against the gods was to be cast into Tartarus for eternity.

Thats a cool idea.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post

Thats a cool idea.
    Agreed.

It's a brilliant idea.

Wow. Now if this isn’t who he turns out to be I’m gonna be disappointed. Real good theory.