Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Darth Vader #1

Looks like the series is really sort of adding some extra layers to Rise of Skywalker's backstory here and there-that Exegol was always sort of intended as a back up plan or something like that. Also it's clear Ochii is not the sharpest tool in the shed, so no wonder he wound up meeting a bad end.

Wonder if that'll fit into whatever Mandalorian is doing with trying to clone/extract from Grogu, which seemed to be hinted but not exactly resolved in season 2.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Looks like the series is really sort of adding some extra layers to Rise of Skywalker's backstory here and there-that Exegol was always sort of intended as a back up plan or something like that. Also it's clear Ochii is not the sharpest tool in the shed, so no wonder he wound up meeting a bad end.

Wonder if that'll fit into whatever Mandalorian is doing with trying to clone/extract from Grogu, which seemed to be hinted but not exactly resolved in season 2.
    The characterization of Ochi is just so bad here. He was built up as this serious threat but now he's a lame comedic relief side kick.

iMan 42s

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    The characterization of Ochi is just so bad here. He was built up as this serious threat but now he's a lame comedic relief side kick.
    TBF it is in line with the film where while he's one of Palpatine's goons he is at the end of the day just a Sith themed merc. He's basically what Boba Fett was functionally in the OT where he's good at his job but ultimately out of his league.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIronman View Post
    TBF it is in line with the film where while he's one of Palpatine's goons he is at the end of the day just a Sith themed merc. He's basically what Boba Fett was functionally in the OT where he's good at his job but ultimately out of his league.
    I'd be okay with him being just out of his league but his dialogue and woe is me self deprecating jokes just make him annoying.

Part of the problem is that there's just a bit too much over-referencing/continuity of past things IMO. The first arc was pretty much a bunch of "Where are they now?" from TPM and AOTC's Naboo characters; now it's pretty much recapping Mustafar.

At least the Mustafar arc in the last Vader series was mainly focused on the fortress, here it's Vader pretty much recapping his ROTS actions there (complete with a Nute gunray corpse!). Speaking of the fortress, wonder why Vader just didn't go there for some extra parts/healing? Too far away I guess.

Part of the problem is that there's just a bit too much over-referencing/continuity of past things IMO. The first arc was pretty much a bunch of "Where are they now?" from TPM and AOTC's Naboo characters; now it's pretty much recapping Mustafar.

At least the Mustafar arc in the last Vader series was mainly focused on the fortress, here it's Vader pretty much recapping his ROTS actions there (complete with a Nute gunray corpse!). Speaking of the fortress, wonder why Vader just didn't go there for some extra parts/healing? Too far away I guess.
    Between the Soule main book and this, they really are doing a lot of flashbacks lately.

I think at least with the Soule Star Wars ongoing they're mostly original flashbacks, not just references to the movies. For example, Zahra's flashbacks.

I think at least with the Soule Star Wars ongoing they're mostly original flashbacks, not just references to the movies. For example, Zahra's flashbacks.
    Just reading the first trade though there are a lot of ESB flashbacks.

I mean, kind of makes sense given the context, but still.

Niffleheim

Has Soule concluded his Darth Vader ongoing? Is there another Vader ongoing after him and who is the writer? I'm only asking because I mostly trade wait

Soule's Vader series ended about a year ago, Greg Pak is the writer of the new volume which takes place after ESB.

Soule is now the writer of the main Star Wars book (Which also is now set after ESB).

Niffleheim

Oh I knew Pak was writing Star Wars because i've already read two trades by him but i didn't know he was writing Vader too It's going to be easy to search now. Thanks

iMan 42s

Has anyone else noticed that every Vader book references the Mustafar duel? Like every book has some scene flashing back or having a vision of that fight. Like I'm sure it's on Vader's mind since it's the reason he's in the suit but it's kind of funny to me that he just never let that go that he could loose. Even killing Obi-wan 20 years later he's still not satisfied.

While it's cut from TFU where you fight Proxy as Anakin implying Vader would've fought himself I have to wonder if he does just kick back in his castle fighting Obi-wan in Disney canon. For all that he thinks about it I'd half expect he would.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIronman View Post
    Has anyone else noticed that every Vader book references the Mustafar duel? Like every book has some scene flashing back or having a vision of that fight. Like I'm sure it's on Vader's mind since it's the reason he's in the suit but it's kind of funny to me that he just never let that go that he could loose. Even killing Obi-wan 20 years later he's still not satisfied.

While it's cut from TFU where you fight Proxy as Anakin implying Vader would've fought himself I have to wonder if he does just kick back in his castle fighting Obi-wan in Disney canon. For all that he thinks about it I'd half expect he would.
    Mustafar also probably stays with Vader because immediately before the duel is the last time he sees Padme and that's what sets the duel off.

The Dark Side makes one obsessive...

Niffleheim

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Mustafar also probably stays with Vader because immediately before the duel is the last time he sees Padme and that's what sets the duel off.

The Dark Side makes one obsessive...
    I like my poor Son of Dathomir

Ochi makes me wonder why palpatine, one of the most cunning and ruthless villains in the Star Wars, would want to employ an incompetent and useless buffoon as his personal assassin? Palpatine, like Vader, was never the one to tolerate failure, so Ochi must have been an efficient and useful lackey. If Ochi wasn't a good assassin, he should have been executed for being useless a long time ago.