Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1

    Default Green Lanternism

    I loved this quote from Paul Krugman's column in yesterday's New York Times:

    "But Sanders isnít making a selective case, arguing that Obama should have been more aggressive on some fronts. Heís arguing for a maximalist agenda on all fronts: complete elimination of private health insurance and a vast expansion of government programs that would require major tax increases on the middle class as well as the wealthy.

    "The political theory behind this maximalism is an assertion that a bold populist program would transform the electoral landscape, winning over white working-class voters and bringing a surge of new voters, all of this on a scale sufficient both to win a smashing victory in November and to intimidate centrist members of Congress into accepting radical proposals.

    "There is, unfortunately, no evidence to support this political theory; in particular, the promised surge in young voters failed to materialize on Super Tuesday. So Sandersism is looking more than a bit like Green Lanternism ó a belief that political miracles can be achieved by sheer force of will."

    Another example that comic books are now in the mainstream, even outside of movies and television.
    Sandy Hausler
    DC Boards Moderator (along with The Darknight Detective (who has a much cooler name that I do))
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

  2. #2
    Extraordinary Member j9ac9k's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,467

    Default

    Wow, so not only a GL shout out in the New York Times, but a neologism as well? I've never heard or seen the term "Green Lanternism" before, but I like it.

    I want to see GL being used as a verb as well:
    Rudy was laughed off the field and told he would never succeed, but he Green Lanterned his way onto the team and won the big game.

  3. #3
    Extraordinary Member Phoenixx9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    5,580

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Hausler View Post
    I loved this quote from Paul Krugman's column in yesterday's New York Times:

    "But Sanders isnít making a selective case, arguing that Obama should have been more aggressive on some fronts. Heís arguing for a maximalist agenda on all fronts: complete elimination of private health insurance and a vast expansion of government programs that would require major tax increases on the middle class as well as the wealthy.

    "The political theory behind this maximalism is an assertion that a bold populist program would transform the electoral landscape, winning over white working-class voters and bringing a surge of new voters, all of this on a scale sufficient both to win a smashing victory in November and to intimidate centrist members of Congress into accepting radical proposals.

    "There is, unfortunately, no evidence to support this political theory; in particular, the promised surge in young voters failed to materialize on Super Tuesday. So Sandersism is looking more than a bit like Green Lanternism ó a belief that political miracles can be achieved by sheer force of will."

    Another example that comic books are now in the mainstream, even outside of movies and television.
    Ha! I missed that. It seems more people are reading GL than they let on!

  4. #4
    all cops are bastards Elmo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Sesame Street
    Posts
    2,575

    Default

    New York Times is a rag run by Morgan Edge
    i'm always online and i'm nice on there

  5. #5
    Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    5,413

    Default

    Not a fan of the article but that's a cool mention.

  6. #6
    Fantastic Member The no face guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    304

    Default

    He is probably right in that Joe Biden is looking like he will beat Bernie, as the Democrats have become the party of the status quo with the rise of Trump.

    Unfortunately it is for that reason I think they will lose the election, Biden can probably win his home town of Pennsylvania and Michigan, but I doubt he could pry Florida or Wisconsin away from Trump.

    In contrast, Bernie has huge support amongst Hispanics, especially the younger vote, which could tip Florida to his side with the right running mate, he also does well in predominantly white working class states, so I can see him taking Wisconsin as well as other Blue wall states in the midwest.

  7. #7
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,542

    Default

    Pretty much. This is s Return-To-Normalcy year, not an Anti-Establishment year. Which benefits both Biden and Trump, giving Biden the primary but Trump the election.

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BringMe_YoungManLogan View Post
    He is probably right in that Joe Biden is looking like he will beat Bernie, as the Democrats have become the party of the status quo with the rise of Trump.

    Unfortunately it is for that reason I think they will lose the election, Biden can probably win his home town of Pennsylvania and Michigan, but I doubt he could pry Florida or Wisconsin away from Trump.

    In contrast, Bernie has huge support amongst Hispanics, especially the younger vote, which could tip Florida to his side with the right running mate, he also does well in predominantly white working class states, so I can see him taking Wisconsin as well as other Blue wall states in the midwest.
    Make that status quo ante. The status quo is Trumpism, and whatever the Democrats do, it won't be anything like that!
    Sandy Hausler
    DC Boards Moderator (along with The Darknight Detective (who has a much cooler name that I do))
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    Pretty much. This is s Return-To-Normalcy year, not an Anti-Establishment year. Which benefits both Biden and Trump, giving Biden the primary but Trump the election.
    I don't know about that.
    Sandy Hausler
    DC Boards Moderator (along with The Darknight Detective (who has a much cooler name that I do))
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

  10. #10
    Ultimate Member Ascended's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    14,673

    Default

    This is my new favorite phrase.

    Green Lanternism. Ha!
    Higher, Faster, Further....More.

    Truth, Justice, and a Better Tomorrow!

    Bridge Four!

  11. #11
    Mighty Member Chubistian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Chile
    Posts
    1,050

    Default

    That article has Hal Jordan's writing all over the place. Oliver must be really mad wherever he is right now
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

    "We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

  12. #12
    Astonishing Member Adekis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,232

    Default

    I absolutely disagree with the claim that Sanders has an unrealistic plan. If anyone reading this wants Sanders to have a chance and has yet to vote, don't write the primary off. Get out there and V O T E !!
    WHEN YOU DON'T VOTE, IT ISN'T REBELLION, IT'S SURRENDER!

    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

  13. #13
    Extraordinary Member Johnny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    6,606

    Default

    Edit. Nevermind.

  14. #14
    Extraordinary Member WebLurker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    7,166

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    Pretty much. This is s Return-To-Normalcy year, not an Anti-Establishment year. Which benefits both Biden and Trump, giving Biden the primary but Trump the election.
    Trump is not normalcy.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •