Default Green Lanternism

I loved this quote from Paul Krugman's column in yesterday's New York Times:

"But Sanders isn’t making a selective case, arguing that Obama should have been more aggressive on some fronts. He’s arguing for a maximalist agenda on all fronts: complete elimination of private health insurance and a vast expansion of government programs that would require major tax increases on the middle class as well as the wealthy.

"The political theory behind this maximalism is an assertion that a bold populist program would transform the electoral landscape, winning over white working-class voters and bringing a surge of new voters, all of this on a scale sufficient both to win a smashing victory in November and to intimidate centrist members of Congress into accepting radical proposals.

"There is, unfortunately, no evidence to support this political theory; in particular, the promised surge in young voters failed to materialize on Super Tuesday. So Sandersism is looking more than a bit like Green Lanternism — a belief that political miracles can be achieved by sheer force of will."

Another example that comic books are now in the mainstream, even outside of movies and television.
    Sandy Hausler
    DC Boards Moderator (along with The Darknight Detective (who has a much cooler name that I do))
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Wow, so not only a GL shout out in the New York Times, but a neologism as well? I've never heard or seen the term "Green Lanternism" before, but I like it.

I want to see GL being used as a verb as well:
    Rudy was laughed off the field and told he would never succeed, but he Green Lanterned his way onto the team and won the big game.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Hausler View Post
    I loved this quote from Paul Krugman's column in yesterday's New York Times:

"But Sanders isn’t making a selective case, arguing that Obama should have been more aggressive on some fronts. He’s arguing for a maximalist agenda on all fronts: complete elimination of private health insurance and a vast expansion of government programs that would require major tax increases on the middle class as well as the wealthy.

"The political theory behind this maximalism is an assertion that a bold populist program would transform the electoral landscape, winning over white working-class voters and bringing a surge of new voters, all of this on a scale sufficient both to win a smashing victory in November and to intimidate centrist members of Congress into accepting radical proposals.

"There is, unfortunately, no evidence to support this political theory; in particular, the promised surge in young voters failed to materialize on Super Tuesday. So Sandersism is looking more than a bit like Green Lanternism — a belief that political miracles can be achieved by sheer force of will."

Another example that comic books are now in the mainstream, even outside of movies and television.
    Ha! I missed that. It seems more people are reading GL than they let on!

BANNED

New York Times is a rag run by Morgan Edge

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Not a fan of the article but that's a cool mention.

Mighty Member

He is probably right in that Joe Biden is looking like he will beat Bernie, as the Democrats have become the party of the status quo with the rise of Trump.

Unfortunately it is for that reason I think they will lose the election, Biden can probably win his home town of Pennsylvania and Michigan, but I doubt he could pry Florida or Wisconsin away from Trump.

In contrast, Bernie has huge support amongst Hispanics, especially the younger vote, which could tip Florida to his side with the right running mate, he also does well in predominantly white working class states, so I can see him taking Wisconsin as well as other Blue wall states in the midwest.

Pretty much. This is s Return-To-Normalcy year, not an Anti-Establishment year. Which benefits both Biden and Trump, giving Biden the primary but Trump the election.

Quote Originally Posted by BringMe_YoungManLogan View Post
    He is probably right in that Joe Biden is looking like he will beat Bernie, as the Democrats have become the party of the status quo with the rise of Trump.

Unfortunately it is for that reason I think they will lose the election, Biden can probably win his home town of Pennsylvania and Michigan, but I doubt he could pry Florida or Wisconsin away from Trump.

In contrast, Bernie has huge support amongst Hispanics, especially the younger vote, which could tip Florida to his side with the right running mate, he also does well in predominantly white working class states, so I can see him taking Wisconsin as well as other Blue wall states in the midwest.
    Make that status quo ante. The status quo is Trumpism, and whatever the Democrats do, it won't be anything like that!
    Sandy Hausler
    DC Boards Moderator (along with The Darknight Detective (who has a much cooler name that I do))

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    Pretty much. This is s Return-To-Normalcy year, not an Anti-Establishment year. Which benefits both Biden and Trump, giving Biden the primary but Trump the election.
    I don't know about that.
    Sandy Hausler

This is my new favorite phrase.

Green Lanternism. Ha!
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

That article has Hal Jordan's writing all over the place. Oliver must be really mad wherever he is right now
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

I absolutely disagree with the claim that Sanders has an unrealistic plan. If anyone reading this wants Sanders to have a chance and has yet to vote, don't write the primary off. Get out there and V O T E !!
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Edit. Nevermind.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    Trump is not normalcy.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)