Extraordinary Member

Default Artist and inker Frank McLaughlin dies

McLaughlin was important to me because for many years, he was the inker of my favorite comic book Justice League of America. He would ink the late, great Dick Dillin's art on that book.

https://www.cbr.com/judomaster-co-cr...ghlin-dies-84/

According to the article, McLaughlin worked for a variety of comic book publishers, starting as an inker with Charlton in the early 1960s, paired with Dick Giordano. By 1962, McLaughlin had become Charlton's art director, working on titles including Captain Atom and Blue Beetle and revitalizing the latter superhero for Silver Age audiences in 1964 after Charlton acquired the license from Fox Feature Syndicate. With writer Joe Gill, McLaughlin created the martial arts superhero Judomaster for 1965's Special War Series #4, with McLaughlin drawing from his own ongoing practice of the Japanese martial arts style and eventually becoming the series' writer himself.

I never knew any of that. Sounds like he had a very successful and productive career. RIP.

For anyone interested, here's a link to an interview with him from about 12 years ago about his JLA days:

https://jlasatellite.blogspot.com/20...ith-frank.html

Extraordinary Member

A great example of McLaughlin's inks over Dick Dillin's final issue of JLA (#183)

The only time I saw his pencil art was in a few issues of “Who’s Who” from the 80’s. I can’t imagine how many comics I have that he worked on. I naturally remember him best from Justice League. One of the names I remember most from childhood.

Astonishing Member

I knew he was an inker, but couldn't remember which series. I think he took over in the early 100s of JLA -- after Joe Giella left. That's a very nice 2-page spread posted above.

Sorry to hear this. Any time anyone from that generation passes it feels like a real loss. Those are some amazing inks on the art above.

Extraordinary Member

Here's another great Dillin/McLaughlin page - one of my all time favorites from Justice League of America #150.

Last edited by caj; 03-06-2020 at 02:58 PM.