Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Default Good stories ruined by later stories

What are some good stories there were later ruined by later stories? I would say one is Batman Year One and James Jr. becoming a serial killer. Or the entire way Birthright was handled. It was a damn good Superman origin that was ruined by the slapdash way it was forced into continuity. Thus ruining later Superman books for the rest of the decade.
    Assassinate Putin!

BANNED

Kingdom Come should have been left untouched

While I don't think it was ruined, I do think "The League that Defeated Itself" is harmed by Identity Crisis. Ray and Jean's wedding issue isn't exactly helped by it, either.

Dark Knight Returns by Dark Knight Strikes Again.
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-

I would say one is Batman Year One and James Jr. becoming a serial killer.
    I'll admit, Batman Year One just never sounded like my cup of tea, nor did the parts of it I read do anything for me at all (I'm just not into gritty, dislike making Bruce part of Selina's origin or Jim a cheater or even James existing, given how he was later used and not used so much before that), even though I know it's regarded as amazing and fantastic (I also didn't join fandom until much later and have a very negative perception of what Batman became, which I associate with it). I accept the overall opinion and just mark it under "not my taste" even if well-wrought. But I pretty much dislike anything that takes a happy (or happy-ish or even bittersweet) ending and makes it depressing or reveals good characters turned bad. Like what happened with Superboy Prime and the others in Infinite Crisis irks me, and I didn't even read COIE.

As Alan Moore once said, "The book is fine, it's there on my shelf," but I see what you mean with regards to certain elements that stick around only in the perspective of other stories...

James Jr as a serial killer just makes me very upset, completely.

For me, one of my hobbyhorses is anything involving Parallax. I love Parallax in Final Night and with regard to Zero Hour I'm kind of a "Parallax was Right" hardliner to be honest. And all that characterization, that sense of Jordan having gained a new perspective (thus the name) goes completely out the window once "Parallax" becomes the arbitrary weird-word chosen as the name of a magic space-elemental that possessed him for a while. Yuck! It absolves him of his actions to a large extent but it also just serves to largely regress the character.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

I'm definitely a "the original is still there on my shelf", kinda guy. If I don't like a follow-up to something, I ignore it (in 99% of the cases, this is easy to do). I didn't find any of the Dark Knight sequels to be very good (Last Crusade is fun, though), but to me it doesn't change DKR at all. Before Watchmen doesn't hurt Watchmen, because I can still read what I like & ignore the rest. That's how I see it, anyway.
    "Darkseid...always hated music..."

Every post I make, it should be assumed by the reader that the following statement is attached: "It's all subjective. What works for me doesn't necessarily work for you, and vice versa, and that's ok. You may have a different opinion on it, but this is mine. That's the wonderful thing about being a comics fan, it's all subjective."

Quote Originally Posted by Elmo View Post
    Kingdom Come should have been left untouched
    Pretty much agree with this. Other than the occasional cameo in those big dimensional team-up spreads in whatever crisis story of the moment, I really don't need to see those characters again. Their story was told and nothing that's been done with them since has added to it or them.

I'd also add Crisis on Infinite Earths. The "sequel" - Infinite Crisis - is the equivalent of the Rise of Skywalker in relation to Return of the Jedi, only worse, because we've had to endure so many line wide reboots because of it. They should've just left it alone and let the golden age Superman and Lois, plus Superboy, have their happy ending.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ishmael View Post
    I'd also add Crisis on Infinite Earths. The "sequel" - Infinite Crisis - is the equivalent of the Rise of Skywalker in relation to Return of the Jedi, only worse, because we've had to endure so many line wide reboots because of it. They should've just left it alone and let the golden age Superman and Lois, plus Superboy, have their happy ending.
    Completely agree. Four heroes who were promised an eternal peace and joy. Completely destroyed with Infinite Crisis

While I won't say it ruined it, I absolutely loved "Who Is Donna Troy" from New Teen Titans #38. But between the re-telling of Wonder Woman's origin to "Who Is Wonder Girl" in New Titans 50-54, I don't enjoy the original near as much. Yes, Donna's origin stayed the same as far as her birth, but they destroyed Wonder Girl. They should've found a way to bring Donna to Paradise Island and have that aspect of her origin remain similar even if Diana wasn't the one to bring her there. Just my two cents.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

I agree with so many of these. I thought of DKR after I posted. Pretty much anything connected to it (minus YO) sucked and should be disregarded. As should any Watchmen sequels or prequels. Much as I loved the fact that DDC brought back the pre-Crisis universe, I think there was a better way to do it than involve Watchmen. IC is a perfect example as well. What was done to E-2 Superman was a travesty. And especially Superboy Prime. Turning him into some passive aggressive reaction to fans was just petty. Year One hasn't aged well on a number of levels, I get that. Everyone smoked indoors (at one point, Gordon was smoking in a hospital!) and the Hari Krishnas that harass him when he gets off the train don't even exist anymore. I've always seen it as a great stand alone story that doesn't need the rest of the DCU. This is why I support things like things like Earth 1985 and turning all the different continuities into their own universe. So that things like Donna's original origin can still stand.
    Assassinate Putin!

Superman/Batman Generations Vol One Was great. Vol 2 was alright. Vol 3 was Damned awful.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

None, you can't ruin a good story with another later story. You might wish the later story didn't exist, but the original will always stand just fine on its own as a good read.

Batwoman: Elegy by Tynion’s Detective Comics run and Bennett’s rebirth run.

Quote Originally Posted by Ishmael View Post
    Pretty much agree with this. Other than the occasional cameo in those big dimensional team-up spreads in whatever crisis story of the moment, I really don't need to see those characters again. Their story was told and nothing that's been done with them since has added to it or them.

Fact is so much of this always comes down to opinion...

I found COIE unreadable ... while I really enjoyed Infinite Crisis...

I lent both these books out to a friend and he had the reverse opinion.

All star superman mini is on every ones must read list...

And I couldn't stand all star.

Most people dont like the superman wonder woman power couple new 52 storyline.

I loved the pairing

Even when I dislike stories I never hate on them, often I wait a year or two and reread them... and I find my opinion changes.

Granted I'm way more forgiving then the extremists on these forums, but I've only been reading for 4 years, seems like the long time readers get more critical..

Personally I hope I dont get so judgemental as changes dont bother me, events create new stories and the old ones are all there to go back too

I really feel comics would suffer if the nerd elite really got their way and everything just became more limited and more restricted...

Sure I dont like ever story but i love that so many new attempts are made, fresh new ideas, even if bunch fall flat for me, they are others favorite books

"Extremists", "judgemental" "nerd elite" - forgive me if you sound like the judgemental one to me.