Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    "Extremists", "judgemental" "nerd elite" - forgive me if you sound like the judgemental one to me.
    B -They weren't all hits but it was mostly good!46 24.47%
    C - It was generally average...30 15.96%
    D - There were a few gems mixed in but mostly it was mediocre.73 38.83%
    F - It was the worst time to be a DC fan!34 18.09%

From 2010 to 2020 he co produced.

Look at these sad numbers... 73% feel the last decade was mostly really bad.. while only 27% thought the last decade was great...

Sorry dude the comics kids or old dudes on this forum are stuck in some bizarre nostalgia reality were books from the 80s and older were the best and modern day books mostly suck...

And I see it in the discussions too. I own hundreds of books and have only been collecting for 4 years.

I can honestly say 95% of my books are great and warrent future rereads... that other 5% I trade into to my local book store..

And I wouldn't even say they are horrible. Just not my cup of tea.

And good number of books I didn't like the first read were awesome the second time I read them.

It okay not to like books but 73% felt the last decade produced nearly no good books...

What?

This is in essence all part of the same storyline, but breaking it up into parts, the original Electric Superman arc and its mystery was pretty much ruined by Superman Red/Superman Blue. One, it went in an entirely too hokey a direction, and most damnng, it never answered the main driving question of the entire thing, which was why did Superman's powers change in the first place.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

In retrospect, the story of Maxwell Lord's ordeal and "origin," that was meant to humanize him and show that he was good under his smarmy demeanor was ruined by his villainous reveal and murder of Blue Beetle.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    In retrospect, the story of Maxwell Lord's ordeal and "origin," that was meant to humanize him and show that he was good under his smarmy demeanor was ruined by his villainous reveal and murder of Blue Beetle.
    I own every issue related to superman blue. About 70+ issues...

Basically as far as I recall superman loses his powers in final night.

Superman attempts to get his powers back by the help of the legion of Super-heroes... they use a type of dish to collect solar power and focus it into superma ...

No luck

He meets guardian and goes to the artic and gets possessed by a strange unexplained energy being

Next the new gods call on his help and metron needs superman to help him escape the sun once matrons suit is melted off. He does this to discover If he was responsible for new genesis demise.

Superman is able to regain his powers and pull metron out of the sun...

But supermans powers are bit faulty with everything that's happened

Finally he accidentally get sucked into into bottle city of kandor which energy field is acting up...

There is some ancient statue or something as well related to the Millennium giants which are awakened because of superman now drawing from Earths energy fields..

Basically a series of unfortunate events messes supermans powers up and causes global disaster as the the giants try to fix what supermans new powers have caused. And imbalance of energy fields

Its even hinted that if superman hadn't been so impatient.

His powers likely would have returned on his own and all the fiddling he'd done was what changed him into an energy being

This is a favorite and highly underrated 70+issues story arc of mine

Tho I haven't read it in over a year. But those are the details I can remember

Personally I think the blue superman arc is over all better executed then say, the death of superman arc..
    Tho I do love both...
    Last edited by Menacer; 03-07-2020 at 12:37 AM.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    None, you can't ruin a good story with another later story. You might wish the later story didn't exist, but the original will always stand just fine on its own as a good read.
    This.
    That said, there's been a number of later stories that really shitted me off.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Menacer View Post
    B -They weren't all hits but it was mostly good!46 24.47%
    C - It was generally average...30 15.96%
    D - There were a few gems mixed in but mostly it was mediocre.73 38.83%
    F - It was the worst time to be a DC fan!34 18.09%

From 2010 to 2020 he co produced.

Look at these sad numbers... 73% feel the last decade was mostly really bad.. while only 27% thought the last decade was great...
    I don't think that was a well categorized poll. "Average" and "mediocre" mean the same thing. Then it jumps to "the worst", with nothing inbetween.

But average/mediocre is by no means bad.

Retired

In all honesty, I didn't think much of KINGDOM COME when it came out. It had nice pictures, but the story itself just seemed like a framing device for all those paintings. Not a big fan of painted comics--to me comics need the dynamism of a strong black line. Now the follow-up, THE KINGDOM, that was comics for me. I liked it and the thing I loved the most was the ending--the Multiverse is Back!!!! I was so excited by that--I expected a lot more Multiverse stuff going forward, but it died a slow, lingering death. Then the use of Kingdom Come characters in JSA was boring--I abandoned that run before it got to any kind of conclusion, so maybe there was a solid point to it, but I didn't care--that JSA run was nowhere near as good as the one before it.

My favourite kingdom was the Kingdome in Seattle, where I saw Paul McCartney live in concert. That Kingdome was demolished in the year 2000. There's some symbolism in that--but I'm not sure what it is.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Twice-named View Post
    Batwoman: Elegy by Tynion’s Detective Comics run and Bennett’s rebirth run.
    This is a pretty big one. I'll go as far as to say anything BATWOMAN after Rucka, though the JH Williams solo stuff had solid moments.

Making her a very direct relative of Bruce Wayne, and not just a tangential person who's inspired by The Batman breaks the character I think.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    In all honesty, I didn't think much of KINGDOM COME when it came out. It had nice pictures, but the story itself just seemed like a framing device for all those paintings. Not a big fan of painted comics--to me comics need the dynamism of a strong black line. Now the follow-up, THE KINGDOM, that was comics for me. I liked it and the thing I loved the most was the ending--the Multiverse is Back!!!! I was so excited by that--I expected a lot more Multiverse stuff going forward, but it died a slow, lingering death. Then the use of Kingdom Come characters in JSA was boring--I abandoned that run before it got to any kind of conclusion, so maybe there was a solid point to it, but I didn't care--that JSA run was nowhere near as good as the one before it.

My favourite kingdom was the Kingdome in Seattle, where I saw Paul McCartney live in concert. That Kingdome was demolished in the year 2000. There's some symbolism in that--but I'm not sure what it is.
    I am half convinced that Mark Waid went against company mandate back then. DC ran a pretty tight ship and didn't allow for deviation from the norm. They saw the guy who wrote KC wanted to do a sequel and jumped at the chance and then he turns around and back doors the multiverse into it. I imagine there were more than a few people who weren't happy about that up top. So I wonder if the reason that hypertime died on the vine was because DC editorial didn't want it to be used.
    Assassinate Putin!

After Identity Crisis, Ralph and Sue's friendship with Kimiyo Hoshi seemed extremely weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    I don't think that was a well categorized poll. "Average" and "mediocre" mean the same thing. Then it jumps to "the worst", with nothing inbetween.

But average/mediocre is by no means bad.
    Huh? Really...

So if you go out on a date with a chick... or your girlfriend and after the date you ask "how was it?" And she said "mediocre..."

You could go home and feel good about yourself? You would sleep well?

Or how bout you have sex. And after the sex you ask "how was that!"

And she says "oh you were really average babe... you know you were mediocre!"

You would feel okay about this?

Average is a "nice" way of saying bad...

His 10 years of producing according to the fans was average...

Sorry that means bad...

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    This is a pretty big one. I'll go as far as to say anything BATWOMAN after Rucka, though the JH Williams solo stuff had solid moments.

Making her a very direct relative of Bruce Wayne, and not just a tangential person who's inspired by The Batman breaks the character I think.
    I don't think it breaks the character, especially when her characterization was as on-point as it was in that series, but it does certainly change some dynamics.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Twice-named View Post
    Batwoman: Elegy by Tynion’s Detective Comics run and Bennett’s rebirth run.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post

Kate's kind of dead to me (or at least "on hold") basically after Williams III left the book. i've sampled some of the stuff afterward, but it's generally boring.

Would be all over Rucka and/or Williams coming back to her though.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Kate's kind of dead to me (or at least "on hold") basically after Williams III left the book. i've sampled some of the stuff afterward, but it's generally boring.

Would be all over Rucka and/or Williams coming back to her though.
    She’s my fave character but everything she’s been in from #25 of her 2011 series to the present has been mediocre IMO. And I really dislike the recontextualizing of her relationship with her father. Also didn’t like the lost year. Elegy and Go didn’t need anything changed or added. Here’s hoping Rucka and/or Williams come back.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Honestly I see this more as a Marvel thing than a DC thing. Marvel loves to rehash past big stories and NONE of them are ever as good as the original. The Phoenix Saga, Age of Apocalypse, The Korvac Saga, Secret War, Infintiy Gauntlet, Civil War, ect, ect. Almost every use of these characters or items beyond the original just tarnishes the first story with bad retcons or dumb plot twists. Marvel has never met a good story idea they will not beat into the ground.