Default DC animated/WB Media and the impression it left starting comics

I’ve wanted to do this discussion for a while now, and basically it’s on the cartoons, animated movies, live action tv, or live action movies that got you into comics but how that was different or similar to what you experienced once you got here. Because I think a lot of people can agree that some of us were influenced to read comics by what we’ve seen and also that those same properties can influence the comics themselves in turn of line-up or characters. I think there’s been a lot of discussion of the other media’s use of comic properties so I’d like to know what dc related media got people to read comics and how it colored their impressions of them.

I got into DC because as a kid I watched Justice League the animated series/unlimited, Batman Beyond, Teen Titans, Krypto the super dog and the Legion of Superheroes cartoons. I loved them, still do and I watch them on DC universe app except for Krypto because it’s not on it. However when I got into the comics things were a bit different then what I was used to.

First I got into Teen Titans, which at the time was the Geoff Johns era so while some of the characters from the cartoon were there I had to get use to Tim Drake, Conner Kent, Cassie Sandsmark, and Bart Allen who I’d never seen before. They were great characters to follow and I’ve learned to love them and are still following them in Young Justice but for a kid I was wondering what was going on with Robin and why Cyborg, Starfire, and Beast Boy looked older then him until I figured out it wasn’t the same one as in the show. Then later “Slade” showed up and he had kids which really confused me as a kid, especially since I saw Jericho in the cartoon show and had no idea.

Next was Legion which I know now was Mark Waid's “threeboot” but had no idea the madness I was going to see with the multiple iterations of the legion. Thankfully I got used to it and was able to enjoy what I read, not to mention that I’ve now gone back and read the other iterations. I will say for the longest time though I was looking for Superman X while reading Legion...though I guess looking back that was their interpretation of Conner?
    Last edited by sifighter; 03-06-2020 at 01:01 PM.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

The DCAU singlehandedly made John Stewart a household name.

It was also the gateway to a lot into the comics medium even more-so than the X-Men & Spidey Animated series.

It introduced the definitive Batman with Kevin Coroy's depiction and introduced an amazing future for the DC universe with Batman Beyond.

If anything the DC comics line owes a lot to Bruce Tim & Paul Dini they IMO kept DC in the cultural zeitgeist without whom DC would have still been known for the 60's Batman and Superfriends

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    The DCAU singlehandedly made John Stewart a household name.

It was also the gateway to a lot into the comics medium even more-so than the X-Men & Spidey Animated series.

It introduced the definitive Batman with Kevin Coroy's depiction and introduced an amazing future for the DC universe with Batman Beyond.

If anything the DC comics line owes a lot to Bruce Tim & Paul Dini they IMO kept DC in the cultural zeitgeist without whom DC would have still been known for the 60's Batman and Superfriends
    Not unlike the SUPERFRIENDS and Aquaman for generations past. It sounds like a similar dynamic.

Son of Batman got me into comics. I decided to pick up Batman and Robin because the title suggested that I would get what was in the movie.

B&R Reborn vol1 was the 1st comic I ever bought. I loved it. It was a different Batman but i already knew Dick Grayson from TT's GO, the Adam West show and just from pop culture.

What I didn't know was that there were other Robins and that there were more members of the Batfamily aside from Alfred, Robin and Batgirl.

I also wasn't expecting that Damian the character that made me get into comics was dead. That was a shock and a bummer.

I decided to read titles with the other Batfam along with B&R.

All caught up on Tim's solo's, Red Hood, Nightwing and the Grayson title, Duke, Steph's Bat Girl. Currently working my way through Golden age Batman with Robin Dick.

Also started following other DC heroes.

The best thing is that since Rebirth went down hill with crappy directions for so many characters that I like. I've got years worth of stories from the past that I have read.

DC Ric as long as you want. Cancel Wildstorm and the amazing Midnighter series I've got back issues!