Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default Hachette employees are now censors.

I'm sure Woody Allen will find another publisher, and I wouldn't have read his book anyhow, but this is a group of people trying to take away our freedom of choice. Am I wrong to be a little upset?

l don't agree with them, but no publisher has an obligation to publish anything and nobody has taken your freedom. If they published it, and then came and took it out of your hand, then that would be messing with your rights.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Woody Allen can post his entire autobiography online any time he wants, so his right to free speech is not being infringed in the slightest.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

The role of a publisher is at least as much to select what not to publish as to select what to publish.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    The role of a publisher is at least as much to select what not to publish as to select what to publish.
    Select only what a group of people decide is "correct".

Quote Originally Posted by williamtheday View Post
    Its called buisness. You want their aid in getting you money, you play by their rules.

Publishers decide to not publish at least a hundred manuscripts for each single manuscript that is published.

What is it that makes Woody Allen's manuscript worthy of being published? Just because he is white and rich and famous doesn't mean any publisher is obligated to publish him.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

but this is a group of people trying to take away our freedom of choice.
    Not even remotely.

And what about Trader Joe's? Every time I go there, they stop selling something I like. They are taking away my freedom of choice!
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

So Hachette...did a hatchet job to Woody Allens book...

Heh heh..
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Considering Woody's checkered past, I have a compromise solution -

They publish the book and Woody agrees to give his share of the profits to child abuse and exploitation prevention charities, everyone wins, unless Woody is motivated by greed rather than telling his story that is.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    Its called buisness. You want their aid in getting you money, you play by their rules.
    They have the freedom to publish or not publish what they want. Not sure what that has to do with censorship.
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

Just to point this out...

There is actual Freedom Of Speech. That said, it's based on you being free from the government stopping you from speaking.

Freedom Of Choice/Freedom Of Expression?

Whole other can of sardines.

Even more so in a day and age where there is less of an impediment for someone to be able to put their work out for you to be able to see.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

If Allen really wants his story out there he has enough money to self publish it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    If Allen really wants his story out there he has enough money to self publish it.
    This is also true. People with a hell of a lot fewer resources than Woody have self-published successful books.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."