Mighty Member

Default Are there any good Warpath story runs.

I couldn't find a Warpath appreciation thread but often felt that he has been underutilized with his powerset: Strength, Speed, agility and fighting technique.

I was wonder what X-Men, X Force, New Mutant comic runs are worth picking up that he has a good showing? Are the Brubaker X-Men and the X-Force (wet work team) worth getting? Any other suggestions are appreciated.

Astonishing Member ohsnapulon5000's Avatar

The Brubaker X-force and X-men runs are good but definitely check out the X-force: Roadtrip arc by John Francis Moore and Adam Pollina gives him some necessary character focus outside of his utility as a wetworx brawler. I also really liked Rosenberg's Uncanny arc that, though simplistic, gave the character a heart and humility that was poignant and refreshing.

I agree, he's criminally underused which is a shame because he has some great character beats in his publication history that could be explored more but I guess the generic nature of his powerset tends to get him relegated to wallpaper status.

BANNED

Yost/Kyle's X-Force and Necrosha is mostly centred with Wartpath. Then there is Nicieza's X-Force and Brubaker's Uncanny. If u want to read his Claremont comics then New Mutants and early Hellions might be a good start.
    https://uncannyxmen.net/node/6685/page/0/6

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by ohsnapulon5000 View Post
    The Brubaker X-force and X-men runs are good but definitely check out the X-force: Roadtrip arc by John Francis Moore and Adam Pollina gives him some necessary character focus outside of his utility as a wetworx brawler. I also really liked Rosenberg's Uncanny arc that, though simplistic, gave the character a heart and humility that was poignant and refreshing.

I agree, he's criminally underused which is a shame because he has some great character beats in his publication history that could be explored more but I guess the generic nature of his powerset tends to get him relegated to wallpaper status.
    The thing is his power set is really impressive but it is barely used well. There are very few characters that have both his strength, durability, power and speed. Particularly the speed. Even if his speed has been downgraded from the 100mph it was, that is a rare combination to have. How strong is he now? Still Class 75 tons? And how could Cap beat James bloody!?!?!? Not Thor, Namor or another powerhouse but Cap?

warpath vs cap.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by taozen View Post
    The thing is his power set is really impressive but it is barely used well. There are very few characters that have both his strength, durability, power and speed. Particularly the speed. Even if his speed has been downgraded from the 100mph it was, that is a rare combination to have. How strong is he now? Still Class 75 tons? And how could Cap beat James bloody!?!?!? Not Thor, Namor or another powerhouse but Cap?

warpath vs cap.jpg
    Yeah, the disrespect was real on that one. Captain America (at most a 1 toner) beat someone who's held his own against the Juggernaut.
    Some of us wait, some of us act.

Don't you know that popularity = power level?

C-listers are not allowed to beat A-listers, unless it's absolutely necessary for the story.
    Bringing back the old, killing the young: that's the Marvel way

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by mugiwara View Post
    Don't you know that popularity = power level?

C-listers are not allowed to beat A-listers, unless it's absolutely necessary for the story.
    You're right. I often felt that James should be more of a force in combat. I mean when he was a teen he was able to hang with Wolverine on a technical fighting level and that was before he grew and got a whole lot stronger. Imagine a character with his strength and durability combine with his speed and enhanced agility. He should be a nightmare to fight in combat but most writers just use him as a bruise/tank. He should be a less durable young Colossus; who is waay faster, agile and skilled as a fighter. That is how he should be portrayed IMO.

Extraordinary Member

I really don't think there have been any major stories that brought him up to the front. He has always been one of those solid ensemble players with the occasional side story to give him personality.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    I really don't think there have been any major stories that brought him up to the front. He has always been one of those solid ensemble players with the occasional side story to give him personality.
    Asking out of curiosity. Have you read Necrosha?

Uncanny X-Men 193
    X-Force 42, -1, 73-74
    Necrosha event
    Rise of Fall of Shi'ar (Uncanny 475-486)

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vishop View Post
    Asking out of curiosity. Have you read Necrosha?
    I have...but I do not see that as "Warpath as the overall hero" story.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    I have...but I do not see that as "Warpath as the overall hero" story.
    I think it was. The whole concept behind his ancient ancestry and his brother and how they were related to Eli Bard and Selene was the main narrative behind Necrosha because he was the main reason why they were able to defeat Selene with ancient rituals and demon blade which possessed his ancestors' spirits initially.

He had some good moments in the Craig Kyle/Chris Yost run of X-Force.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

Absolutely love Warpath. Hope to see more of him in the future. A solo run would be amazing.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cap808 View Post
    Absolutely love Warpath. Hope to see more of him in the future. A solo run would be amazing.
    Or at least a limited series delving into his character and powers.

I actually thought of a mini with Warpath, Forge and Dani investigating mutant and human disappearances on their various reservations. Does Dani have her powers back yet?