Extraordinary Member

Default Nami vs. Hinata vs. Orihime

Three women enter the arena to do combat.

The navigator of the Straw Hat pirates.

The eldest daughter of the Hyuga clan.

The woman with the power to undo and reject events that have occurred.

We're using Nami from the current arc of One Piece, Hinata from The Last movie, and Orihime from the when she and Ichigo fought Yhwach.

Who wins?

Nami, while resourceful, and with a good staff, is kind of out of place here.

Hinata's eyes are pretty good. But since Orihime's powers are essentially small-scale reality warping (literally rejecting death and the what not), I give the slight advantage to Orihime.

I don't see what's stopping Nami from setting up a large lightning storm on top of them and killing them all. Also, standard One Piece human durability means she's the most durable one in the field.

Extraordinary Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Twickster View Post
    I don't see what's stopping Nami from setting up a large lightning storm on top of them and killing them all. Also, standard One Piece human durability means she's the most durable one in the field.
    Durability really won't help against Hinata's Jyuuken allowing her to directly attack her opponents' internal organs, and she might be able to stun nami with her teamed attack long enough to close range to do that, though Nami call get big attacks going pretty quickly. Anyone remember how fast Orihime got?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Nami, while resourceful, and with a good staff, is kind of out of place here.
    My thinking with putting Nami is that while she may not have Hinata's official training or Orihime's reality defying powers, she does IIRC have the most on screen battle time as in she's been in more fights that the other two. So I figured it might balance things out.

I might also be hideously wrong. But I got curious.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Drunkard Kid View Post
    Durability really won't help against Hinata's Jyuuken allowing her to directly attack her opponents' internal organs, and she might be able to stun nami with her teamed attack long enough to close range to do that, though Nami call get big attacks going pretty quickly. Anyone remember how fast Orihime got?
    Towards the end of the manga Orihime was able to toss in shields to protect Ichigo while he was in the middle of duking it out with Yhwach. And she did so efficiently too, blocking several attacks from the guy that messed up Yamamoto. She did it so well that Yhwach had to use his future altering powers to get around her shields.

Doesn't Nami still have Zeus under her command, meaning she can basically send him out rain thunderbolt death on her opponents?
    Critics who treat adult as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence.
    - C.S. Lewis

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

By inference, Orihime should take this.

However, as she sort of fell of the narrative in the back half of the series and didn't do much beyond, inexplicably, being able to meaningfully contribute to the fight with Yhwach, she's a bit short on feats. She's also got no offensive feats, that I recall, since the Rescue Rukia arc where her offensive game was shown to be traaaash.

Hinata has the Byakugan and learned to do Kaiten and that Phantom Fist blast thing by the end. That's very potent. I also think she might have the best speed feats of the three which means she might be able to get some kind of a blitz... maybe...?

Did she doing anything speed based against Pain? I feel like she might have...

If Nami can get her **** going, then she's invisible, throwing up illusions and just raining lightning bolts down on everyone AoE style.

This is actually kind of a close in a weird way. Honestly not sure who I like... leaning maybe Hinata.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post

However, as she sort of fell of the narrative in the back half of the series and didn't do much beyond, inexplicably, being able to meaningfully contribute to the fight with Yhwach, she's a bit short on feats. She's also got no offensive feats, that I recall, since the Rescue Rukia arc where her offensive game was shown to be traaaash.

Hinata has the Byakugan and learned to do Kaiten and that Phantom Fist blast thing by the end. That's very potent. I also think she might have the best speed feats of the three which means she might be able to get some kind of a blitz... maybe...?

If Nami can get her **** going, then she's invisible, throwing up illusions and just raining lightning bolts down on everyone AoE style.

This is actually kind of a close in a weird way. Honestly not sure who I like... leaning maybe Hinata.
    To be honest, Orihime isn't a factor here. She can't be hit, but that offensive game is so minor-league, that she will not be able to knock anyone out. Nami and Hinata are going to be able to avoid it easily. Her shield game, though, might decide the fight for one of the other women if she pulls it out at the right time. But I can't see her winning this fight in any way except endurance.

Nami (with Zeus) versus Hinata is a hard battle. Hinata might have the advantage in speed, but Nami has better dodging/endurance feats. Illusions are useless against Hinata, but Hinata better get rid of that headplate/kunai before Nami uses any electrical attacks on her. I'm leaning Nami, but I could see both ways. Does Hinata have any feats of using substitution or Henge jitsu in the series? I can see Hinata winning by faking death and ambushing Nami as Nami focuses on Orihime. But every fight I remember with Hinata was a straight-forward one-on-one fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Little_Mac View Post
    To be honest, Orihime isn't a factor here. She can't be hit, but that offensive game is so minor-league, that she will not be able to knock anyone out. Nami and Hinata are going to be able to avoid it easily. Her shield game, though, might decide the fight for one of the other women if she pulls it out at the right time. But I can't see her winning this fight in any way except endurance.

Nami (with Zeus) versus Hinata is a hard battle. Hinata might have the advantage in speed, but Nami has better dodging/endurance feats. Illusions are useless against Hinata, but Hinata better get rid of that headplate/kunai before Nami uses any electrical attacks on her. I'm leaning Nami, but I could see both ways. Does Hinata have any feats of using substitution or Henge jitsu in the series? I can see Hinata winning by faking death and ambushing Nami as Nami focuses on Orihime. But every fight I remember with Hinata was a straight-forward one-on-one fight.
    IIRC Hinata doesn't use anything but jyuuken and her byakugan in fights. She KNOWS the substitution and henge jutsu, as they're required for graduating from the Academy, but she never uses them in combat. Of course, she doesn't have a lot in the way of manga combat feats, much like Orihime. She has more if we include the anime filler, but going by source manga, she doesn't.
    Critics who treat adult as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence.
    - C.S. Lewis

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Dog View Post
    Doesn't Nami still have Zeus under her command, meaning she can basically send him out rain thunderbolt death on her opponents?
    That is actually true. Nami has one of Big Mom's best weapons at her disposal. Not sure if she can use him as effectively as Big Mom did though.

They're trash against people on Espada class, and I wouldn't say that Hinata or Nami are on that level. She did slice through that one hollow when her powers first awakend and I feel like that should hurt the other two if they were hit by it. Though, by feats she is absolutely the bottom here.

And I wouldn't say her performance against Yhwach is inexplicable. Aizen did say that she had god like potential. And unlike in the arrancar arc she had solid self-confidence backed up by her motivation to be of aid to Ichigo and over a years' worth of training (also she was being emotionally abused by a bunch of assholes at the time either which helped). And even before then she has been able to react to super speed people in the past, this is just the first time she was strong enough for it to matter. So it's a big leap, but there's some logic behind it.

Hinata did in fact not really much of any feats against Pain. At least not in the manga where she attacked him and he just stomped her, in the anime she lasted longer and had a better strat. The Hinata/Pain fight is actually one of the best episodes of Shippuden, gorgeous too, she even gets a hit in on him.
    As has been mentioned, with the byakugan Hinata doesn't care about any illusions, and I think that Orihime's shield and reactions are enough to counter the lightning bolts. Don't know what she'd do after that though.
    They all have very different power sets that match up in interesting ways. If Hinata can take out Nami quickly before she gets any serious lighting storm going then she's got a good chance. Though it'll take a bit for her to get around Orihime's shield.

Extraordinary Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar

I'm not sure that the Byakugan would really see through Nami's illusions, since she's not creating some sort of chakra illusion, but using physics to actually bend the light waves reflecting off her to someplace else, and performing where light waves are is the core of how regular vision works.

Also, Hiata also used the 8 Trigrams move against of Jyuubi's Hench monsters, and Negi showed that move does translate to superspeed reflexes, at least when it's in effect.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Drunkard Kid View Post
    I'm not sure that the Byakugan would really see through Nami's illusions, since she's not creating some sort of chakra illusion, but using physics to actually bend the light waves reflecting off her to someplace else, and performing where light waves are is the core of how regular vision works.
    With byakugan Hitta can discern that one Nami has a chakra network while the others don't. And IIRC it has also has x-ray functionality which should see through the mirages.