Default Brandon Routh Discusses Dealing With Mental Health After Superman Returns

In an interview with thee Lex Luthor, Michael Rosenbaum, on his podcast, Inside of You, Routh talked about the aftermath of Returns.

Rosenbaum talks about anxiety and the depressive feels that can arise after having played a character that is a superhero, but often not feeling very “super” and being afraid of showing vulnerability under the pressure of it all—which, naturally, led to speaking about Returns.

“I would say that the end of my run as Superman in Superman Returns that did not pan out the way I thought it was going to, the way everyone around me thought it was going to. I had to really come to terms with a lot of that,” Routh said, via Geek Tyrant. “There was no sequel, the movie was widely well-reviewed, people liked the movie, but it, you know, made almost $400 million worldwide but that wasn’t enough. And it was a very slow fizzle out of the possibility of a sequel over the next two, three years and I did everything that I could do, that I thought, in my world to help make it happen.”

He spoke about being raised to spiritually bypass things and anxieties by “giving them up to god,” and how it can be very calming at times, but it can catch up with you when that is not enough. Routh credits his wife Courtney Ford with helping him find his way out of a hole and understanding balance

Part of what the gaming did was give a Routh a way of deflecting and not dealing with the fear he was experiencing. He mentions feeling like he jumped to the front of the line when it came to Superman, and then he didn’t end up getting any offers despite his ego at the time telling him that is what he deserved.

Everyone told him it was going to be a big deal, that he was supposed to be something, and it was such a kick in the chest. All he got offered was horror movies and projects that “weren’t in line with what I wanted to do” and were not going to move his career forward. In the interview, he’s transparent about not being good at auditions—that he didn’t do the work, didn’t read scripts well enough, and was creating a bad reputation for himself.
    https://www.themarysue.com/brandon-r...ce=mostpopular

Brandon Routh is a really cool dude .

it really sounds worse than I thought.. poor guy. I hope he finds a new and better job soon. I never liked his role in Legends. I wanted to enjoy it but he just plays the comedic/goofy guy and nothing much. :/

So Routh became a gaming addict after Returns, and Cavill almost missed the call for the role because he was in the middle of a raid.

It seems World of Warcraft is Superman's true kryptonite.

I wonder if Routh plays Horde?
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.