Astonishing Member

Default Jason Bourne vs John Wick

1) Khazen arena
    A) Unarmed
    B) Guns

2) Hunt each other in New York City
    1) Wick 'verse
    2) Bourne 'verse

1A—I love Wick’s grappling heavy choreography but Bourne is faster and hits harder.
    1B—Bourne again, that thing with the stairwell is insane.

2A—This is the most interesting one I feel. Jason doesn’t have the coinage or knowledge of the Continental Wick does so depending on the time it takes place, Wick can call on some hefty resources and armaments while Bourne has to run around improvising.

Of course Bourne is really damn good at that and has the better feats of stealth and evasion. It’ll be hard for him to figure out the rules of the Continental since common knowledge seems to be fairly uninformed in Wickverse.

2B—Wick dies once Bourne gets on his trail pretty quickly.
    "What I sought, I could not obtain."

"This is a meaningless battle. We are two madmen engaging in senseless folley."

"I will kill, I will let live..."

--Genuine Fake Priest Kotomine Kirei

I feel like a Khazan Arena Gunfight between these two will just be a Wild West Style Quickdraw.

Can we get some tumbleweeds in here?
    Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

For the firearms, quickdraw yes, though I'd favor Bourne to take Wick out even if he loses the quickdraw by a hair due to him operating after taking the horrific amount of damage he takes on occasion (car crashes, multi-story falls, etc).

So, maybe 5/10 Bourne, 4/10 Wick, 1/10 Tie game both die.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Astonishing Member Captain Morgan's Avatar

It is funny because Wick is presented as more dangerous, IMO. He's rightly treated as a force of nature, a super human agent of entropy. His on screen body count is probably 10 times Bourne's. Buuuut... Bourne has a few instances of super human Hollywood shenanigans that just beat out any one thing Wick has done.

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    It is funny because Wick is presented as more dangerous, IMO. He's rightly treated as a force of nature, a super human agent of entropy. His on screen body count is probably 10 times Bourne's. Buuuut... Bourne has a few instances of super human Hollywood shenanigans that just beat out any one thing Wick has done.
    Is he presenteed as "more dangerous?" Really?

Wick makes some gangsters poop themselves. Bourne makes the freaking CIA poop themselves. Wick definitely has a higher on-screen body count, as a factor of the movie it is and how it's made. Bourne doesn't want to kill (almost) anyone. Wick is specifically doing exactly that.

For the rest, yeah, Wick is amazing, but Bourne has some edges in basically any trait. He's quicker, hits harder, is more accurate, is at least as tough...
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

Quote Originally Posted by big_adventure View Post
    Is he presenteed as "more dangerous?" Really?

Wick makes some gangsters poop themselves. Bourne makes the freaking CIA poop themselves. Wick definitely has a higher on-screen body count, as a factor of the movie it is and how it's made. Bourne doesn't want to kill (almost) anyone. Wick is specifically doing exactly that.

For the rest, yeah, Wick is amazing, but Bourne has some edges in basically any trait. He's quicker, hits harder, is more accurate, is at least as tough...
    Hardly just "some gangsters". That's film one. Films 2 and 3 have him making extremely well organized global crime organizations every bit as well resourced (or more) then the CIA running for cover. It's a "RAMPAAAAGE!!" on an epic scale.

He might lose on feats, but is presented as an absolute monster in his universe.
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

Quote Originally Posted by The Arbiter View Post
    Hardly just "some gangsters". That's film one. Films 2 and 3 have him making extremely well organized global crime organizations every bit as well resourced (or more) then the CIA running for cover. It's a "RAMPAAAAGE!!" on an epic scale.

He might lose on feats, but is presented as an absolute monster in his universe.
    I agree that he's presented as a monster.

I disagree that the crime syndicates are running in terror. They come for him, even one on one. Nobody is happy that he's gunning for them, the bosses are like "this sucks" but they are still totally willing to come after him. The High Council doesn't think that they have anything to fear from the guy.

And no, they do not even approach the resources of the CIA. They don't have satelites with fictional zoom and and enhance capabilities, they don't have hackers who mysteriously hack the unhackable in impossible fashion, etc.

None of this is to denigrate Wick - he's, as you say, an absolute monster. But to say that he's presented as scarier than Bourne ignores a ton about how Bourne is presented. He might well be presented as scary as Bourne. But scarier? I dunno about all that, my good Arby.
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    1) Khazen arena
    A) Unarmed
    B) Guns
    A) Jason Bourne. John makes him work for it but Jason is stronger and faster. John is insanely experienced enough to realize he's in over his head here.

B) Quickdraw. Bourne has a more banging feat; however, both are skilled and efficient gunmen that it could go either way.

2) Hunt each other in New York City
    1) Wick 'verse
    John has home-field advantage but Jason's hidden superpower is literally adapting to any conceivable scenario. Wick needs to end this fast before Jason gets wise to the politics of his assassin-centric world. I wouldn't be surprised if some of John's enemies recruit Jason. Given John's intimate knowledge of his world, I'd give Baba Yaga the advantage. But if he underestimates Jason Bourne, he's dead.

2) Bourne 'verse
    John Wick is more of a fish out of water in Bourne's world than Bourne was in his. Needless to say, Wick is a highly-determined, skilled, and resourceful assassin, I'm positive he'd figure out Bourne's world fast.

In a scenario involving both hunting each other in whatever 'verse, there are so many variables at play that it's difficult to say who would win. Even having a home-field advantage isn't nearly as big of a game-changer as it sounds. Flip a Gold Coin.

I didn't really comment specifically on the fights.

In HtH, Bourne takes the vast majority. He's too fast, too strong and too skilled, having edges in basically every conceivable part of this aspect.

With guns, Bourne takes perhaps a small majority. They are both really good at this, but Bourne is little quicker, has a better accuracy high-end, and functions at peak or near-peak levels through slightly worse abuse than John.

Wick-verse: If this starts at, say, the beginning of the first film, Wick is going to have an instant advantage, due to having the resources of the Continental at his disposal. But he better take advantage of that FAST, as Bourne has his ridiculous abilities of adapting to any situation and turning the game on the players in any situation. He did that to Conklin and Co. in Paris when he was living through total amnesia. Once Bourne figures out the Continental stuff, the advantage swings to him, though, due to better improvisation and tactics. If it starts at the "most current version" John is screwed, as the organizations in question are resolutely against him, making his job tougher.

Bourne-verse: this is bad for John. He's good, tough, dangerous, sneaky, everything, but a lot of his best stuff is thanks to having the Gold Coins and their associated perks at his disposal. None of that exists here. Bourne isn't hurt at all by "everything is against me now" - he's never been in any other situation in any of the films. Bourne takes the vast majority.

I dunno, the High Table might not have global hacking demonstrated, but they do operate with impunity and no interference from any sort of law enforcement and have magical body armor that absurdly breaks with real world examples. The two come from fundamentally different worlds. Bourne has a veneer of realism that Wick simply doesn't. Wick goes full blown alt universe where assassins basically run the world. And Bourne is incredibly deadly and efficient, but I've never seen him fight more than 3 people at once. (He says, having not watched the entire series.) He usually runs away when those sorts of numbers come after him.

But despite not taking on as many people as Wick and coming from a world much closer to reality, Bourne has examples of hitting harder and shooting better than Wick does. I just find it interesting how the two worlds and their protagonists function.

I dunno, the High Table might not have global hacking demonstrated, but they do operate with impunity and no interference from any sort of law enforcement and have magical body armor that absurdly breaks with real world examples. The two come from fundamentally different worlds. Bourne has a veneer of realism that Wick simply doesn't. Wick goes full blown alt universe where assassins basically run the world. And Bourne is incredibly deadly and efficient, but I've never seen him fight more than 3 people at once. (He says, having not watched the entire series.) He usually runs away when those sorts of numbers come after him.

But despite not taking on as many people as Wick and coming from a world much closer to reality, Bourne has examples of hitting harder and shooting better than Wick does. I just find it interesting how the two worlds and their protagonists function.
    Basically this is what I was thinking, right down to the final paragraph.

The High Table can summon SEAL team level spec op dudes wearing better then real world body armor and have them shoot up a building in downtown NYC without a single peep from local law enforcement or the media following it up. When an endeavor on that scale fails to kill Wick, they are like "Meh, drop in the bucket. Time to double down". They are very well resourced.
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

I agree with everything you say here. I have seen all of the Bourne movies and yes, he rarely engages in combat with multiple attackers at once, face to face in an open setting. He deals with that through misdirection, escape, and splitting them up to take out individually or two (or so) at a time.

And yes, they definitely deal with stuff in different ways, and yes, Bourne world stuff is slanted more towards "realism" even if his personal feats are incredible outliers to that.

Quote Originally Posted by The Arbiter View Post
    Basically this is what I was thinking, right down to the final paragraph.

The High Table can summon SEAL team level spec op dudes wearing better then real world body armor and have them shoot up a building in downtown NYC without a single peep from local law enforcement or the media following it up. When an endeavor on that scale fails to kill Wick, they are like "Meh, drop in the bucket. Time to double down". They are very well resourced.
    Totally true (though I dunno about "SEAL team level" as these guys are **** for coordinated action, something SEALs are definitely not), and also the stuff that, sadly, suspends my suspension of disbelief in the Wick series. I still enjoy the movies, definitely, but I don't love how Wick-verse NYC has no police... at all. It's jarring.

Quote Originally Posted by big_adventure View Post
    Totally true (though I dunno about "SEAL team level" as these guys are **** for coordinated action, something SEALs are definitely not), and also the stuff that, sadly, suspends my suspension of disbelief in the Wick series. I still enjoy the movies, definitely, but I don't love how Wick-verse NYC has no police... at all. It's jarring.
    Hey hey hey, it has one police officer. His name is Jimmy I think.