Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    The second movie is likely to be beefing up Manta's role.

Siren also has a lot of potential.
    Put in Atlan, if they want to go full "you're not who you think you are!" in the sequel to Aquaman.

But, honestly, a simple beefed up Manta, with scars and all, would be awesome.

Astonishing Member

Don't forget cartoons.

Aquaman had a cartoon with unique villains...so did Plastic Man.

Did DC follow through?

of course not.

Quote Originally Posted by LifeIsILL View Post
    ... but DC just forgot about them.
    Here is the problem. Most modern writers seem to lack the desire to attend to the maintenance of a rogue's gallery. Everybody focuses on a hero's big 2 or 3 or 4 villains, create a few pet villains of their own, and then when they are done, the new writers do pretty much the same.

The long, drawn-out storylines of the modern era is another culprit. In the old days when heroes had a new challenge every month, a hearty rogues gallery was critical, but is much less-so when one villain can be the nemesis for an 8-issue story arc. I have to confess, I do kind of miss the days of the done-in-one adventures.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hatut Zeraze View Post
    Here is the problem. Most modern writers seem to lack the desire to attend to the maintenance of a rogue's gallery. Everybody focuses on a hero's big 2 or 3 or 4 villains, create a few pet villains of their own, and then when they are done, the new writers do pretty much the same.

The long, drawn-out storylines of the modern era is another culprit. In the old days when heroes had a new challenge every month, a hearty rogues gallery was critical, but is much less-so when one villain can be the nemesis for an 8-issue story arc. I have to confess, I do kind of miss the days of the done-in-one adventures.
    Yeah, and some superhero comics back in the '60s were masters of building a good rogues gallery very fast. Both Flash and Spider-Man seemed like they had a new classic villain almost every issue.

I suppose that's a hard situation to replicate, though. And as the expectations for a character change, what people want from their rogues changes too. For example, Green Lantern developed an RG pretty quickly too. But people see him as the "space guy" now. So, people aren't particularly impressed by the likes of Sonar, Hector Hammond, Dr. Polaris and the Tattooed Man. If they're not alien invaders, I don't think people are interested.

For a character that's been continuously published for 80 years, Wonder Woman has a remarkably thin Rogue's gallery. Ares and company, Cheetah, Circe, Silver Swan, Dr. Cyber, Paula Van Gunther, Dr. Psycho, Dr. Poison, thennnn oy. I mean, there are a number of them that I personally like (Clea, Blue Snowman, Inversion the Inside-Out Man), but when compared to Barry or Hal's enemies, it's pretty tough sledding.

Amazing Member

As DC's premiere team and their longest-running one, I think the Justice League has a pretty underwhelming rogue's gallery. That's because they focus too much on Darkseid. Of the rest, I like the Crime Syndicate best and sometimes, the Injustice League or any gathering of individual league member's enemies. The rest, like Amazo or Starro, are pretty much meh. I wish DC would stop kissing Darkseid's butt and develop villains like the Queen Bee or Despero more.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Toxin45 View Post
    Atom’s rogues gallery was a bit lacking.
    Yeah, Toxin45 identified the overlooked winner here. Atom had Chronos, Floronic Man and...

They did give him an interesting one in his late-1980s series, the Humbug. Dopey name, but dope abilities and nature.

Doctor Vigilante?
    Does he have many rogues to speak of?

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Aquaman and has the weakest rogue's gallery,
    Wonderwoman has the most underdeveloped.

Aquaman's has very few good villains and the ones he does have seem to be under powered for a character of his power level and royal influence.

a lot of Wonderwoman's villains are actually pretty cool conceptually but are underdeveloped. Cheetah is essentially a modern day take on all those tragic mythological figures that are done in by their own hubris and turned into a monster. Circe is a classic witch/sorceress villain to Diana's sword and sandal type heroine. Dr. Cyber is essentially a tech wizard, so you have super tech vs magic conflict with Diana. Ares is Diana's big bad the living embodiment of human carnage. I've always felt that Giganta was a cool visual held back by weak origin stories and lack luster motivations. She should be the queen of all giants. I'm not usually the one who thinks all of Diana's villains should be mythological but in Giganta's case I feel tying her into the lore of mythic giants would really give her over all menace a boost. I feel her current science base origins really don't do much for her, and a regular person who grows really isn't much of a match for a demigoddess like Wonderwoman.
    Last edited by mathew101281; 03-21-2020 at 06:47 PM.

The original version of Barbara Minerva is essentially a deconstruction of the Indiana Jones type adventurer. Instead of being a roguish but charming and heroic thrill seeker, she's a manipulative, murderous thief. She cares for no one but herself and has no respect for foreign cultures, only interested in plundering their treasures for her own collection.

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post

Aquaman's has very few good villains and the ones he does have seem to be under powered for a character of his power level and royal influence.

a lot of Wonderwoman's villains are actually pretty cool conceptually but are underdeveloped. Cheetah is essentially a modern day take on all those tragic mythological figures that are done in by their own hubris and turned into a monster. Circe is a classic witch/sorceress villain to Diana's sword and sandal type heroine. Dr. Cyber is essentially a tech wizard, so you have super tech vs magic conflict with Diana. Ares is Diana's big bad the living embodiment of human carnage. I've always felt that Giganta was a cool visual held back by weak origin stories and lack luster motivations. She should be the queen of all giants. I'm not usually the one who thinks all of Diana's villains should be mythological but in Giganta's case I feel tying her into the lore of mythic giants would really give her over all menace a boost. I feel her current science base origins really don't do much for her, and a regular person who grows really isn't much of a match for a demigoddess like Wonderwoman.
    That is a way more interesting origin for Giganta than her usual ones and ties well into Wonder Woman's mythic side of her rogues gallery.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    What do you mean that's not what's meant by worst?
    What about Mister Freeze?

Never been a big fan of the Flash's vilains.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post

I would say Aquaman's villains are also underdeveloped.

The Superman/Aquaman Hour of Adventure is a Filmation animated series that aired on CBS from 1967 to 1968. In some form or another, these Aquaman cartoons were seen for decades. They were better representation for Aquaman than Superfriends...and introduced several Aquaman foes directly into the living rooms of many thousands.

Those Aquaman foes were:

• Black Manta
    • Vassa, Queen Of The Mermen
    • The Torpedo Man, an armored being
    • The Brain, a mutant scientist,
    • the Fisherman - A sea pirate
    • The Magneto & The Claw, - The Torpedo Man teams up with two other armored beings
    • The Sea Sorcerer - an evil warlock
    • Captain Sly - A sky pirate

Did TPTB at DC do anything to develop these foes for Aquaman? Not as far as I know.

Quote Originally Posted by scary harpy View Post
    I would say Aquaman's villains are also underdeveloped.

The Superman/Aquaman Hour of Adventure is a Filmation animated series that aired on CBS from 1967 to 1968. In some form or another, these Aquaman cartoons were seen for decades. They were better representation for Aquaman than Superfriends...and introduced several Aquaman foes directly into the living rooms of many thousands.

Those Aquaman foes were:

• Black Manta
    • Vassa, Queen Of The Mermen
    • The Torpedo Man, an armored being
    • The Brain, a mutant scientist,
    • the Fisherman - A sea pirate
    • The Magneto & The Claw, - The Torpedo Man teams up with two other armored beings
    • The Sea Sorcerer - an evil warlock
    • Captain Sly - A sky pirate

Did TPTB at DC do anything to develop these foes for Aquaman? Not as far as I know.
    Black Manta and Ocean Master (who isn't on your list I agree) have been well developed.